Kuhli Loach and betta's - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
xShainax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Glens Falls NY
Posts: 4,691
Kuhli Loach and betta's

Can I house Kuhli Loach's with Taz?

Open your eyes
Now is the time
To rise up
With darkness we'll still shine
xShainax is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 12:58 AM
Member
 
Micho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,066
How big is Taz's tank?

Kuhli Loaches need a few things; they need to be in a group of at least four, the substrate must be sand it cannot be gravel because they burrow into the sand and stay buried most of the time, also they need a base footprint of 60cm x 30cm which is the equivalent of a 20 gallon tank long or tall either one.

Hope that helps! :)
Micho is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
xShainax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Glens Falls NY
Posts: 4,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
How big is Taz's tank?

Kuhli Loaches need a few things; they need to be in a group of at least four, the substrate must be sand it cannot be gravel because they burrow into the sand and stay buried most of the time, also they need a base footprint of 60cm x 30cm which is the equivalent of a 20 gallon tank long or tall either one.

Hope that helps! :)
It is a 29 gallon that has sand substrate and has fake plants all about with a hidy cave

Open your eyes
Now is the time
To rise up
With darkness we'll still shine
xShainax is offline  
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 01:28 AM
Member
 
Micho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,066
Yep you can probably house some Kuhli Loaches, maybe five or six of them. :) What's your pH and water hardness? Kuhli Loaches thrive in soft and acidic waters, pH of 3.5 ~ 7.0 and water hardness of 0 ~ 8°dH.

So if your water is hard and basic, they probably won't do so well in your tank.
Micho is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
xShainax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Glens Falls NY
Posts: 4,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
Yep you can probably house some Kuhli Loaches, maybe five or six of them. :) What's your pH and water hardness? Kuhli Loaches thrive in soft and acidic waters, pH of 3.5 ~ 7.0 and water hardness of 0 ~ 8°dH.

So if your water is hard and basic, they probably won't do so well in your tank.
The Ph is a constant 6.5 and we have soft water

Open your eyes
Now is the time
To rise up
With darkness we'll still shine
xShainax is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 01:36 AM
Member
 
Micho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,066
Yeah you'll be able to house them! :)

Just be warned though, sometimes you won't see them for days, since they like to bury themselves in the sand. ;P Make sure they're getting food with those sinking pellets. Also they might go inside the filter via filter intake so make sure that's covered, along with a solid lid, they like to jump at times.

Pesky fish, eh?
Micho is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
xShainax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Glens Falls NY
Posts: 4,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
Yeah you'll be able to house them! :)

Just be warned though, sometimes you won't see them for days, since they like to bury themselves in the sand. ;P Make sure they're getting food with those sinking pellets. Also they might go inside the filter via filter intake so make sure that's covered, along with a solid lid, they like to jump at times.

Pesky fish, eh?
I just hope Taz doesn't freak out lol

Open your eyes
Now is the time
To rise up
With darkness we'll still shine
xShainax is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Member
 
thekoimaiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 2,450
Kuhli loaches are primarily nocturnal, so one of the best ways to ensure that they get fed is to drop their food in after dark. I mean dark dark, like when the tank lights are out and the room itself is also dark. I would actually bump up the size of the group to 8 especially because the more kuhlis you have the more active they will be. I have 10 in a 29 gal with a bunch of other fish. They have a rather light bio-load.

---Izzy

Sitting by the koi pond

writings on fish and fishkeeping


thekoimaiden is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Assassin snail, yo yo loach or kuhli loach? nunuchan Betta Fish Compatibility 30 08-14-2011 05:33 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome