Tiger Nerite Snail? - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
mkayum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: IL
Posts: 275
Tiger Nerite Snail?

I went to Petco today for my leopard gecko, Nemo's food.

I thought I'd go look to see what they have in fish section and I saw some TNS , I think they're about 3$ each and I decided to buy one. I picked the active one, he was eating ln the moss.


I put him in my 20 gallon community tank.

Do you own this kind of snail? I 'm starting to like this guy cause it went crazy eating off of the driftwood. Maybe he was just hungry?

Anyway what were your experiences with this kind of snail?

I might get one for my 4 ways divided betta tank.

http://i45.tinypic.com/mh6hj9.gif

Last edited by mkayum; 08-16-2012 at 11:43 PM.
mkayum is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 07:25 AM
MSG
Member
 
MSG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,250
I wouldn't want to spend $3 on a snail till you know your fish won't eat it.

My betta Senetti that was caught in the plastic decoration, has eaten about 100 snails since July. earlier this week, I noticed a gang of several dozen baby snails gathering around the plants.

Due to her injuries, I removed everyone else and put Senetti in the tank.

Last night, there's no sign of ANY snails whatsoever.

Senetti is the only one that is patient enough to wait till they exit the shell enough so she can grasp the entire body, EAT the whole thing & leave the shell behind.

The others are not as patient. They'll rip off parts of the snail and they'll decay the water.

Back in July I did a little experiment, I put 10 snails with her. Within 2 hours all the shells were emptied out & I have a picture of it too.
MSG is offline  
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 12:07 PM
Member
 
kfryman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 2,252
Nerite snails are huge and they barely stick out of their shells. They are protected very well. They are no where near small lol.

I belive you have a zebra nerite, I have never heard of a tiger, then again it was at Petsmart lol. Once they are settled in the tank they go everywhere and clean up really good. Yours probably like the driftwood because some driftwood will have almost like a fungus growth or other growth that inverts and snails love.

My snails only cost $2 each no tax at my LFS. I have a picture of one of my snails on the thread linked, I believe 4th page) if yours looks the same it is indeed a zebra.


15 Gallon NPT
1g no tech bowl in the making
kfryman is offline  
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
mkayum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: IL
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
Nerite snails are huge and they barely stick out of their shells. They are protected very well. They are no where near small lol.

I belive you have a zebra nerite, I have never heard of a tiger, then again it was at Petsmart lol. Once they are settled in the tank they go everywhere and clean up really good. Yours probably like the driftwood because some driftwood will have almost like a fungus growth or other growth that inverts and snails love.

My snails only cost $2 each no tax at my LFS. I have a picture of one of my snails on the thread linked, I believe 4th page) if yours looks the same it is indeed a zebra.
Mine just came out fast as I put him in the tank.. he started to explore around the tank. I picked him out because he was very active. I thought "wowo that guy is probably healthy or tough " lol


I think he's definitely a tiger nerite snail. He has little stripes but not same as your zebra snail. Your snails look gorgeous! Of course! and the little disturbing that my bamboo shrimp just picked up some of TNS's poops and ate it. ew. o.o

http://i45.tinypic.com/mh6hj9.gif
mkayum is offline  
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 04:48 PM
Member
 
LittleWatty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: In progress to California
Posts: 636
I bought a Tiger Nerite a while ago, hoping it would eat the diatoms in one of my tanks. For whatever reason, it kicked the bucket. It seemed fine, as it was moving around every once and a while. But, it just kind'a stopped one day, and then I found my shrimp eating it.

Watty's Whimsical Webs and Wigglers - Photography Thread
Welcome to the Jungle! - Tank Upgrade/Journal Thread
LittleWatty is offline  
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 05:16 PM
Member
 
kfryman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 2,252
Can you post a picture of your snail please?


15 Gallon NPT
1g no tech bowl in the making
kfryman is offline  
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 07:26 PM
Reference Team
 
Hallyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fungus corners
Posts: 7,615
I've had both Tiger and Zebra Nerites, about 0.4 in dia, with a subtle difference in appearance. They eat brown diatoms and algae off the tank walls, plants and other surfaces. They do such a good job I've had to supplement their diet with algae wafers.

I move my two from tank to tank to keep the walls clean.

They're too big for Betta to eat.

They poop all over, so tank cleanliness is a wash. I don't have shrimp to eat their feces.

They breed in brackish water, so if you get one, that's all you'll have.

Who cares what they cost; stock is cheap.

Below these posts is a menu of "Similar Threads." Lots of good info there.
Hallyx is offline  
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
mkayum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: IL
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
Can you post a picture of your snail please?

kfryman,

I'm positive that it's tiger nerite snail... I googled the kind of this snail and found many pictures that looks pretty much as my snail. Your snails have thick stripes and it covers the most its shells. But mine does not. It has like really small, short stripes and it has orange color..

I'll upload the photos later. Right now, my snail is scouting around the java ferns..


once he gets on the driftwood I'll take picture of him..

http://i45.tinypic.com/mh6hj9.gif
mkayum is offline  
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
mkayum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: IL
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
My betta Senetti that was caught in the plastic decoration, has eaten about 100 snails since July. earlier this week, I noticed a gang of several dozen baby snails gathering around the plants.

Due to her injuries, I removed everyone else and put Senetti in the tank.

Last night, there's no sign of ANY snails whatsoever.

Senetti is the only one that is patient enough to wait till they exit the shell enough so she can grasp the entire body, EAT the whole thing & leave the shell behind.

The others are not as patient. They'll rip off parts of the snail and they'll decay the water.

Back in July I did a little experiment, I put 10 snails with her. Within 2 hours all the shells were emptied out & I have a picture of it too.
Wait, are you talking about the small pond snails or nerite snails?

http://i45.tinypic.com/mh6hj9.gif
mkayum is offline  
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
mkayum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: IL
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWatty View Post
I bought a Tiger Nerite a while ago, hoping it would eat the diatoms in one of my tanks. For whatever reason, it kicked the bucket. It seemed fine, as it was moving around every once and a while. But, it just kind'a stopped one day, and then I found my shrimp eating it.
Maybe it could be the water shock or something's in your tank that are killing the snails slowly like copper..?

My snail have been doing great, he even ate the fuzzy that are growing on the driftwood. The gang of ghost shrimps and a bamboo shrimp, three dwarf algae suckers also helped him out. It's cool to see that they could work together to keep the tank walls and the decorations clean.


I do supplement them a few of sliced cucumbers and sometimes algae tablet.

http://i45.tinypic.com/mh6hj9.gif
mkayum is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nerite snail question MsGita Betta Fish Compatibility 2 06-02-2012 08:46 PM
Nerite Snail N03113 Betta Fish Compatibility 1 04-28-2012 03:04 PM
Nerite snail Karebear13 Betta Fish Compatibility 16 04-04-2012 05:16 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome