White cloud minnow & Zebra Danio? - Page 2 - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Member
 
DragonFyre14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 350
I think even if it were a 20 gallon long, that many fish would create a need for a lot more water changes and it still doesn't sound like there would be enough swimming room for all the fish to live happily. I would strongly suggest getting another tank (if there is room in the OP's home) otherwise just refrain from getting more fish. as much as the WCM might be lonely it's better than being even more crowded.

happy owner of a wild type GFP axolotl named Percival and too many guppies to count.
DragonFyre14 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 07:18 PM
New Member
 
Relic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 208
Sorry..guess I don't read well either.
I would highly suggest just making the trip and getting more WCMs...in a large{ish} school, they are so pretty to watch.
Relic is offline  
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,050
Even if the inch per gallon rules true that is 28 inches Zebras like fin nipping the tank is already way over stocked I am telling you the minnows need schools 7 kuhlis in a 20 gallon is way overstocking minnow gouramis kuhlis.
ChoclateBetta is offline  
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 07:22 PM
New Member
 
Relic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFyre14 View Post
I think even if it were a 20 gallon long, that many fish would create a need for a lot more water changes and it still doesn't sound like there would be enough swimming room for all the fish to live happily. I would strongly suggest getting another tank (if there is room in the OP's home) otherwise just refrain from getting more fish. as much as the WCM might be lonely it's better than being even more crowded.
Kuhlii loaches aren't your typical fish and the standard "rule of thumb" really doesn't apply to them. they are long but they are also very slender and spend the majority of their time at the bottom of the tank. 7 sounds like a lot...but it really isn't.
Relic is offline  
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Member
 
DragonFyre14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 350
I agree. The minnow does need a school. it would help his health and make him sooo much happier. however there still is the problem of overstocking. As annoying as it may seem that we are fixating on that it can thoroughly harm the health of all the fish in the tank. please consider getting a new tank before getting more fish.

As far as the Kuhli loaches go, I don't know very much about them and perhaps they are fine, but it just seems like a lot. even if they don't require much space wouldn't they be happier with more? Also wouldn't more fish cause more ammonia to be produced creating a greater need for bigger water changes?

happy owner of a wild type GFP axolotl named Percival and too many guppies to count.
DragonFyre14 is offline  
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 07:28 PM
New Member
 
Relic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Even if the inch per gallon rules true that is 28 inches Zebras like fin nipping the tank is already way over stocked I am telling you the minnows need schools 7 kuhlis in a 20 gallon is way overstocking minnow gouramis kuhlis.
*CoughwrongCough*
He could add another 2-3 kuhliis and still be in the green.
Regardless...the loaches aren't the issue. Like I said previously, I highly recommend more minnows..but if you really want the danios, you could try them. I have seen some very laid back ones and I have seen some very nippy ones..it just depends on the fish. As a matter of fact, I have had 5 danios in with a male betta for over a year and have never had a problem..on the same note, I put 8 danios in with a gold fish and they tore the gold fish's fins to shreds.
Relic is offline  
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Member
 
DragonFyre14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 350
Some Danios tend to be worse fin nippers than others. I have heard though that if you keep them in a properly sized school that problem should pretty much disappear. However it does depend much more upon the personality of the different Danios.

happy owner of a wild type GFP axolotl named Percival and too many guppies to count.
DragonFyre14 is offline  
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 07:31 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
*CoughwrongCough*
He could add another 2-3 kuhliis and still be in the green.
Regardless...the loaches aren't the issue. Like I said previously, I highly recommend more minnows..but if you really want the danios, you could try them. I have seen some very laid back ones and I have seen some very nippy ones..it just depends on the fish. As a matter of fact, I have had 5 danios in with a male betta for over a year and have never had a problem..on the same note, I put 8 danios in with a gold fish and they tore the gold fish's fins to shreds.
He should separate the minnow and build the school in another tank 7 is way to many for a 20 GALLON!!!!!
ChoclateBetta is offline  
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
mkayum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: IL
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
But, he would appreciate his own kind soo much more! They are extremely common, are you sure your nearby store can't order them from you?
If you must, you can try the danios, he may or may not school with them, out of desperation he probably will. Small fish like this feel safest in groups, and if he has no other choice he will join the danio group if they let him.
I thought WCMS was common too! But petco near my area didn't carry them. BUT I thought it'd be nice if my male WCM joins with other different schooling fish. You know it's interesting to see how they adapt. I'm not sure if it's good time for Petco to special order for me. But I would try. It'd be my first time..? How do I ask them to order for me? Will they get the right fish? :O

So this little boy, He tried to fit in with my two bait red rosy and gray minnows. (They are about 3 to 4 years old. ) They did and he followed them whatever they go.

But I feel that those couple of older minnows would be happier to be in their own tank. I decided to remove them and moved them to their very own ten gallon tank. They look happier in there.

http://i45.tinypic.com/mh6hj9.gif
mkayum is offline  
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 07:36 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkayum View Post
I thought WCMS was common too! But petco near my area didn't carry them. BUT I thought it'd be nice if my male WCM joins with other different schooling fish. You know it's interesting to see how they adapt. I'm not sure if it's good time for Petco to special order for me. But I would try. It'd be my first time..? How do I ask them to order for me? Will they get the right fish? :O

So this little boy, He tried to fit in with my two bait red rosy and gray minnows. (They are about 3 to 4 years old. ) They did and he followed them whatever they go.

But I feel that those couple of older minnows would be happier to be in their own tank. I decided to remove them and moved them to their very own ten gallon tank. They look happier in there.
Good for you they are more colorful and active in cold water.
ChoclateBetta is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
White Cloud Mountain Minnow Spawn Log (06/11/12) mattoboy Other Fish 17 06-14-2012 09:42 AM
*RESCUED* White Cloud Mountain Minnow mattoboy Other Fish 19 04-05-2012 02:58 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome