White cloud minnow & Zebra Danio? - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
mkayum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: IL
Posts: 275
White cloud minnow & Zebra Danio?

I'm thinking about purchasing a couple of ZDs to keep my lonely male white cloud minnow happy . I used to have three but the two of them died. The last one was lonely and decided to follow some of my otos.

But I'd love to see him being with other schooling fish like ZDs. I don't want go to Petsmart which they have WCMs and it's too far. I prefer to go to Petco nearby my area. But Petco didn't carry WCMs but do carry different strain of ZDS (longfin/white/normal)

Is it possible for my lonely male cloud white minnow to get along with other ZDS? He's about a year and half and gets along with my two male dwarf gourami pretty good and 7x Kuhili loaches & inverts. My tank is 20 gallon.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!!!!!!

http://i45.tinypic.com/mh6hj9.gif
mkayum is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 04:29 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,050
White cloud mountain minnows are schooling fish they can live in tropical but prefer cold water so you need at least five of the minnnows I would return some fish you do not have the room or get another tank. Plus gouramis do not like zebras they are fin nippers and too active Kuhli loaches grow around four inches.
ChoclateBetta is offline  
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Member
 
DragonFyre14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 350
I wouldn't recommend getting zebra danios. although, some people are able to keep ZD with Dwarf Gouramis. so it IS possible... however I would refrain from getting danios as they are also schooling fish and to keep them from chasing other fish you should get at least 5 of them. I would recommend waiting to get more White cloud minnows. He will be so much happier and healthier in a school. also as said they tend to prefer colder waters and from what i remember enjoy stronger currents to create a more river like environment (like what they live in in the wild.)

happy owner of a wild type GFP axolotl named Percival and too many guppies to count.
DragonFyre14 is offline  
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFyre14 View Post
I wouldn't recommend getting zebra danios. although, some people are able to keep ZD with Dwarf Gouramis. so it IS possible... however I would refrain from getting danios as they are also schooling fish and to keep them from chasing other fish you should get at least 5 of them. I would recommend waiting to get more White cloud minnows. He will be so much happier and healthier in a school. also as said they tend to prefer colder waters and from what i remember enjoy stronger currents to create a more river like environment (like what they live in in the wild.)
Do not forget tank is already overstocked he needs another tank for the fish s/he needs more space.
ChoclateBetta is offline  
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 06:07 PM
Member
 
DragonFyre14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 350
Oh yeah. I had missed where he said the size of his tank and had for some reason thought it was a bigger tank. Personally, in order to fix both problems, i would suggest getting another tank of at least 10 gallons. (although if you have the room the bigger the tank the better) and just move some of the fish over. you could place the white cloud minnow into the new tank (after it has cycled of course), that way you can keep the temp cooler like they prefer and also you will have room to get a school of them. also if i'm not mistaken some of your inverts could go into the new tank too.
Or you could place the two Dwarf gourami's into the new tank (although i would only recommend this if you get a 15 or 20 gallon tank.)

happy owner of a wild type GFP axolotl named Percival and too many guppies to count.
DragonFyre14 is offline  
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 06:59 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFyre14 View Post
Oh yeah. I had missed where he said the size of his tank and had for some reason thought it was a bigger tank. Personally, in order to fix both problems, i would suggest getting another tank of at least 10 gallons. (although if you have the room the bigger the tank the better) and just move some of the fish over. you could place the white cloud minnow into the new tank (after it has cycled of course), that way you can keep the temp cooler like they prefer and also you will have room to get a school of them. also if i'm not mistaken some of your inverts could go into the new tank too.
Or you could place the two Dwarf gourami's into the new tank (although i would only recommend this if you get a 15 or 20 gallon tank.)
Isn't 7 Kuhli loaches to many for a twenty gallon too each one could grow four inches.
ChoclateBetta is offline  
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Member
 
DragonFyre14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 350
definantly. Sorry it's been a long day. apparently i'm not reading very carefully. :P

happy owner of a wild type GFP axolotl named Percival and too many guppies to count.
DragonFyre14 is offline  
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 07:07 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFyre14 View Post
definantly. Sorry it's been a long day. apparently i'm not reading very carefully. :P
For all he wants and has how big of a tank do you recommend I say 50-100 gallon.
ChoclateBetta is offline  
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 07:12 PM
New Member
 
Relic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Isn't 7 Kuhli loaches to many for a twenty gallon too each one could grow four inches.
No.
If it is a 20 gallon long. They can easily house 7 Kuhlii loaches, the 2 dwarf gouramis and 8 cloud minnows and only be about 3/4 stocked and that is assuming all the fish are adults. With a 20 gallon high tank they would be almost 100% stocked.

To the OP...why not just get more cloud minnows?
Relic is offline  
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Member
 
Olympia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 4,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkayum View Post
I'm thinking about purchasing a couple of ZDs to keep my lonely male white cloud minnow happy . I used to have three but the two of them died. The last one was lonely and decided to follow some of my otos.

But I'd love to see him being with other schooling fish like ZDs. I don't want go to Petsmart which they have WCMs and it's too far. I prefer to go to Petco nearby my area. But Petco didn't carry WCMs but do carry different strain of ZDS (longfin/white/normal)

Is it possible for my lonely male cloud white minnow to get along with other ZDS? He's about a year and half and gets along with my two male dwarf gourami pretty good and 7x Kuhili loaches & inverts. My tank is 20 gallon.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!!!!!!
But, he would appreciate his own kind soo much more! They are extremely common, are you sure your nearby store can't order them from you?
If you must, you can try the danios, he may or may not school with them, out of desperation he probably will. Small fish like this feel safest in groups, and if he has no other choice he will join the danio group if they let him.

taking a break from fish-keeping.
3 lovely male betta still keep me company.
Olympia is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
White Cloud Mountain Minnow Spawn Log (06/11/12) mattoboy Other Fish 17 06-14-2012 09:42 AM
*RESCUED* White Cloud Mountain Minnow mattoboy Other Fish 19 04-05-2012 02:58 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome