Guppies - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,050
Guppies

Just bought a guppy/endure live bearer hybrid added it to my 20 gallon tank for some reason non of the fish eat fry they fry are usually half black the hybrid Is a cobra.
ChoclateBetta is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 10:35 AM
Member
 
DragonFyre14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 350
Okay, so your guppies have already have babies? if the babies haven't been just born the adults are much more likely to not eat them. (they really enjoy eating them when they are in their newborn 'jumping' phase.) Otherwise I have heard that if you keep them well fed they will be less likely to eat the babies.

happy owner of a wild type GFP axolotl named Percival and too many guppies to count.
DragonFyre14 is offline  
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFyre14 View Post
Okay, so your guppies have already have babies? if the babies haven't been just born the adults are much more likely to not eat them. (they really enjoy eating them when they are in their newborn 'jumping' phase.) Otherwise I have heard that if you keep them well fed they will be less likely to eat the babies.
Non of my fish even the guppies try and eat them it is planted even when a guppy is next to a fry they do not even try to eat them I mean emperor tetra Female Betta weird righ. And most are bite size I wonder if being half black helps.

Last edited by ChoclateBetta; 09-08-2012 at 10:41 AM.
ChoclateBetta is offline  
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Member
 
DragonFyre14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 350
That is slightly odd. usually fish find guppy fry to be a sort of delicacy. Are you becoming over run with guppies? is that why you want them to be eaten or are you just curious? if its a problem of being over run with fry you can always get certain fish who will eat any and all guppy fry they find. (although if you only have a 20 gallon with a betta and other guppies it may be harder to find one that is compatible for your tank.)

happy owner of a wild type GFP axolotl named Percival and too many guppies to count.
DragonFyre14 is offline  
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFyre14 View Post
That is slightly odd. usually fish find guppy fry to be a sort of delicacy. Are you becoming over run with guppies? is that why you want them to be eaten or are you just curious? if its a problem of being over run with fry you can always get certain fish who will eat any and all guppy fry they find. (although if you only have a 20 gallon with a betta and other guppies it may be harder to find one that is compatible for your tank.)
I net some in a floating breeding trap and send them to my local petco they adopt out fish.
ChoclateBetta is offline  
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 10:49 AM
Member
 
DragonFyre14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 350
Okay cool. I have been considering doing that as I have two pregnant guppies right now. but I don't think my local Petco or Petsmart will accept any. Most people say they won't take any fry from people anymore. I guess it never hurts to ask though :)

happy owner of a wild type GFP axolotl named Percival and too many guppies to count.
DragonFyre14 is offline  
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFyre14 View Post
Okay cool. I have been considering doing that as I have two pregnant guppies right now. but I don't think my local Petco or Petsmart will accept any. Most people say they won't take any fry from people anymore. I guess it never hurts to ask though :)
Yeah also craigslist and websites like that also people prefer guppies grown locally they are higher quality because they are already adapted to the water quality have had better cared and not shipped thousands of miles.
ChoclateBetta is offline  
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 06:51 PM
Member
 
DragonFyre14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 350
yeah. I figured if I get over run with guppies I'll just see if my friends would like some :) would really prefer to stay away from giving them to strangers.

happy owner of a wild type GFP axolotl named Percival and too many guppies to count.
DragonFyre14 is offline  
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,050
Tank size affects everything.
ChoclateBetta is offline  
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 07:31 AM
Member
 
DragonFyre14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 350
yeah. I have them in a 29 gallon right now so i figure they have a bit of space to grow and breed. :)

happy owner of a wild type GFP axolotl named Percival and too many guppies to count.
DragonFyre14 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guppies frogipoi The Lounge 8 01-16-2011 05:26 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome