Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alberta, Canada
I'm looking into those blue ones too. As of now I have cherries and Amanos, Amanos are ugly but fun to watch and IMO the best algae cleaner. They don't breed in aquariums though. The blue ones that I showed you are a mutation of cherry shrimp if they were labled correctly, so no keeping cherries with them unless you want ugly brown babies. You could always divide it though!
1) Equipment- Umm... The tank? No heater necessary (but probably beneficial) and filter is optional.
2) Plants- Not necessary, but beneficial. I find that mine absolutely love moss.
3) Food- Depends on how many. Fish pellets, algae wafers, etc are good if there are too many to live off of the plants/biofilm.
4) Mixing- Species dependant. The cherries, snowball, blue jelly, etc are all in the neocardina family and will interbreed and make ugly babies. Divided is fine. With a few exceptions, dwarf shrimp can all be housed together peacefully but breeding is where you get problems. If you want to mix a neocardina and crystal shrimp or something like that that's fine.
5) Aquabid, big als, etc. The rare kinds are expensive.