My tetras died! :( & what is this fish called? - Page 2 - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 06:53 PM
Reference Team
 
LittleBettaFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 8,201
Don't get a new filter! Or at least don't throw out your media. This is where all the beneficial bacteria lives. You only ever rinse the filter media out in tank water and never remove it or replace all of it at once as otherwise this will destroy your cycle.

It looks like your tank is cycled based on the readings you have, although the low nitrate is strange. Usually in a cycled tank you would expect to see more.

Can I ask how did you acclimatise your new fish, and do you have any readings for pH or hardness? Neons are softwater fish and so if your water is very hard with a high pH and they weren't acclimatised correctly, they may have died from the shock of the transition.

Otherwise, they might have just been sick in the store.


LittleBettaFish is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: California
Posts: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinbirdsong View Post
Did you clean the tank before you put fish in it? Perhaps the previous owner had some sort of disease and it should have been cleaned.

But some bacteria supplement as well it will help build good bacteria in the new filter.
I did not clean the tank. What kind of diseases could strike tetras? Could it affect my betta/harlequins?

What kind of bacteria supplements should I get?
Graceful is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: California
Posts: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Don't get a new filter! Or at least don't throw out your media. This is where all the beneficial bacteria lives. You only ever rinse the filter media out in tank water and never remove it or replace all of it at once as otherwise this will destroy your cycle.

It looks like your tank is cycled based on the readings you have, although the low nitrate is strange. Usually in a cycled tank you would expect to see more.

Can I ask how did you acclimatise your new fish, and do you have any readings for pH or hardness? Neons are softwater fish and so if your water is very hard with a high pH and they weren't acclimatised correctly, they may have died from the shock of the transition.

Otherwise, they might have just been sick in the store.
I am confused - and sorry for the stupid question, but what is the "media"? I don't know the "anatomy" of a filter just yet.

I placed the fishes' bags in the tank water for 30 minutes before releasing them into the tank. I put the tetras in first, then the Harlequins, then the betta 10 minutes later.

pH was a 7.2.
Graceful is offline  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 06:59 PM
Reference Team
 
LittleBettaFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 8,201
I wouldn't bother with bacterial supplements. It looks like your tank is cycled if your results are correct, but I would do a couple of tests over the next few days to see if it wasn't your large water change the other day that has brought your parameters down.

Don't do any water changes for the time being, and if your ammonia or nitrites start to rise, then you know your tank is not cycled.

Neon tetra disease can hit neons, but it has pretty specific symptoms and I don't think it happens overnight.

Media is the sponge/cartridges/ceramic noodles inside of the filter. This is where all your beneficial bacteria lives.

Just floating the bag may not have been enough if the fish were from a tank that had very different parameters from yours. 7.2 is not too high a pH, but generally you should acclimatise fish by slowly adding water from your tank into the bag or bucket they are in over a period of time so there is a slow adjustment to not only the temperature, but the water conditions.


LittleBettaFish is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: California
Posts: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I wouldn't bother with bacterial supplements. It looks like your tank is cycled if your results are correct, but I would do a couple of tests over the next few days to see if it wasn't your large water change the other day that has brought your parameters down.

Don't do any water changes for the time being, and if your ammonia or nitrites start to rise, then you know your tank is not cycled.

Neon tetra disease can hit neons, but it has pretty specific symptoms and I don't think it happens overnight.

Media is the sponge/cartridges/ceramic noodles inside of the filter. This is where all your beneficial bacteria lives.

Just floating the bag may not have been enough if the fish were from a tank that had very different parameters from yours. 7.2 is not too high a pH, but generally you should acclimatise fish by slowly adding water from your tank into the bag or bucket they are in over a period of time so there is a slow adjustment to not only the temperature, but the water conditions.
Thanks so much for the info. Earlier, I was planning on buying a larger school of tetras, but I don't want to kill them. I may just go for another kind of fish or get more Harlequins.

I need to go back and buy more plants & a snail anyway. Thanks again!
Graceful is offline  
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 07:17 PM
Reference Team
 
LittleBettaFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 8,201
I would probably wait a couple of weeks to let your tank settle and to know for certain that it is cycled before adding any more fish.

Then I would probably only add the snail and bump your school of rasbora up to 6 individuals.

A 10 gallon is not a very big tank and with a snail, a betta and a school of harlequins I would say it is fully stocked.


LittleBettaFish is offline  
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: California
Posts: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I would probably wait a couple of weeks to let your tank settle and to know for certain that it is cycled before adding any more fish.

Then I would probably only add the snail and bump your school of rasbora up to 6 individuals.

A 10 gallon is not a very big tank and with a snail, a betta and a school of harlequins I would say it is fully stocked.
Ok, that sounds good. Thank you.
Graceful is offline  
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 07:46 PM
Member
 
BettaNubRandyLove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 208
The fish you Dont know the name of is a harlequin rasbora
BettaNubRandyLove is offline  
Reply

Tags
dead , mystery fish , new tank , tetras

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is this fish called? alunjai Other Fish 22 01-04-2013 04:55 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome