What is this rescued fish? Help ASAP! Pics inside.. - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Punki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,253
What is this rescued fish? Help ASAP! Pics inside..

Okay, so basically my grandma rents places out, and this lady ditched out and left a fish in a nasty tank filled with brown water and snails for a week without food and im sure much longer without a water change. Today, a week later, they go in to clean it and find this fish in its nasty stuff and they figure who better to give it to then me aka family fish girl LOL! But i know alot about Bettas....Not other types, and i got no idea what this is. Its tiny and pretty and underweight im sure, and its a bit raggedy but i cleaned its tank, put fresh water in and prime and im just unsure if it needs heat or an airstone or what... I tried to get pics of it but its fast, i hope someone knows.

RIP to my little Coraline.
Punki is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Member
 
FishyFishy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central FL
Posts: 2,677
looks like a dalmatian molly...looks too long and skinny to be one tho.
However, considering she left the tank in that state lord knows wither or not the fish was ever fed.

Brace Yourself.....Winter Is Coming
75 gallon Angel Paradise Updates:http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...gallon-220330/
Fluval Spec V Steel crowntail betta, 3 zebra danios,
Fluval Spec V - unnamed dumbo plaket betta, 3 zebra danios
FishyFishy89 is offline  
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Punki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,253
Thank you, on the main tropical fish forum someone else agreed with what you said, a dalmation molly. But a really malnourished one =/ Its tail is a bit ripped but it was the only fish in a bowl with about 100 snails.... The bowl held 3g and the water looked yellow at a glance and was very full of poo.. Despite its conditions it seems happy in fresh water :) Luckily its care is similar to my bettas so i already have a heater ect. But im wondering...I bred my bettas about 5 months ago and the babies i kept were all females and peaceful at that. Thres room for it in there if it/they get along but im not sure about that.

RIP to my little Coraline.
Punki is offline  
post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 07:51 PM
Member
 
FishyFishy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central FL
Posts: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punki View Post
Thank you, on the main tropical fish forum someone else agreed with what you said, a dalmation molly. But a really malnourished one =/ Its tail is a bit ripped but it was the only fish in a bowl with about 100 snails.... The bowl held 3g and the water looked yellow at a glance and was very full of poo.. Despite its conditions it seems happy in fresh water :) Luckily its care is similar to my bettas so i already have a heater ect. But im wondering...I bred my bettas about 5 months ago and the babies i kept were all females and peaceful at that. Thres room for it in there if it/they get along but im not sure about that.
I wouldn't put this little one in with anyone just yet. He or she may have some hidden issues that could affect your whole set up.

Brace Yourself.....Winter Is Coming
75 gallon Angel Paradise Updates:http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...gallon-220330/
Fluval Spec V Steel crowntail betta, 3 zebra danios,
Fluval Spec V - unnamed dumbo plaket betta, 3 zebra danios
FishyFishy89 is offline  
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Member
 
Shirleythebetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ohio, US
Posts: 1,641
Sometimes mollys can be agressive I have two (black mollys) and I would never put them with my betta's they can get as big as 6 inches but I think that depends on if this guys growth was stunted being in nasty water. They are also mostly recommended for 20 gallon tanks and brackish water. I agree that it does look like a dalmation molly. I miss mine :(

Keep yourself clean and bright, for you are the window through which you must see the world.
George Bernard Shaw
Shirleythebetta is offline  
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Member
 
Shirleythebetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ohio, US
Posts: 1,641
p.s. they also do better in groups. They are schoolers if you could pull that off. The only issue with it being with more mollys is they are breeders! You may end up with loads of babys.

Keep yourself clean and bright, for you are the window through which you must see the world.
George Bernard Shaw
Shirleythebetta is offline  
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 07:58 PM
Member
 
FishyFishy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central FL
Posts: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleythebetta View Post
p.s. they also do better in groups. They are schoolers if you could pull that off. The only issue with it being with more mollys is they are breeders! You may end up with loads of babys.
THIS....was the main issue that made me turn away from mollies. I love how cute they are and debated on stocking my 75 gallon with tons of mollies. But then I heard they breed faster than jack rabbits o.O

Brace Yourself.....Winter Is Coming
75 gallon Angel Paradise Updates:http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...gallon-220330/
Fluval Spec V Steel crowntail betta, 3 zebra danios,
Fluval Spec V - unnamed dumbo plaket betta, 3 zebra danios
FishyFishy89 is offline  
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Punki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,253
Hm.. My stepmom up the road has a heated outdoor pond that holds 100's of gallons of water. It has goldfish, random minnows, and koi in it, Maybe this guy would be happier there with more space. I dont really have space for a big fish if it grows beyond a 3-5g tankspace. Would it do okay with larger fish? I worry it may get eaten by a monster Koi lol!

RIP to my little Coraline.
Punki is offline  
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 08:08 PM
Member
 
FishyFishy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central FL
Posts: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punki View Post
Hm.. My stepmom up the road has a heated outdoor pond that holds 100's of gallons of water. It has goldfish, random minnows, and koi in it, Maybe this guy would be happier there with more space. I dont really have space for a big fish if it grows beyond a 3-5g tankspace. Would it do okay with larger fish? I worry it may get eaten by a monster Koi lol!
Yeah, kois would make a lunch outta him....or her

Brace Yourself.....Winter Is Coming
75 gallon Angel Paradise Updates:http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...gallon-220330/
Fluval Spec V Steel crowntail betta, 3 zebra danios,
Fluval Spec V - unnamed dumbo plaket betta, 3 zebra danios
FishyFishy89 is offline  
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Member
 
Shirleythebetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ohio, US
Posts: 1,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
THIS....was the main issue that made me turn away from mollies. I love how cute they are and debated on stocking my 75 gallon with tons of mollies. But then I heard they breed faster than jack rabbits o.O
They are so similar to platys. I bought a female platy and a week later she had forty babys.

Keep yourself clean and bright, for you are the window through which you must see the world.
George Bernard Shaw
Shirleythebetta is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
*pics* Just rescued a wallmart fish who isn't a betta copperarabian Betta Fish Compatibility 35 06-12-2011 03:17 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome