Stocking Ideas! - Page 3 - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
kfryman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 2,252
And the do not nip the gourami's fins?

So really pretty much any fish that lives in South America and Asia is out of question. My question is, what are so special about bettas that can be in almost any pH but not other fish? I know they are hardy but most captive bred fish are hardy as well.


15 Gallon NPT
1g no tech bowl in the making
kfryman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 07:01 PM
Reference Team
 
LittleBettaFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 8,097
Betta splendens as we know them have been so artificially bred that they resemble nothing of their wild counterparts. Unlike most species (aside from colour and 'balloon' varieties), which have been left pretty much alone.

Some fish are more sensitive than others. It's why certain species are often not recommended as a first fish for people. Bettas are in general much hardier. They are the tropical equivalent of a goldfish in many respects. They can tolerate much more than a lot of tropical fish out there.


LittleBettaFish is online now  
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 07:09 PM
Member
 
thekoimaiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 2,450
+1 ^ LittleBettaFish is right. Because we have been breeding goldfish and betta for so long they are much more tolerable to variant water conditions. Captive bred fish are much more tolerant of different water conditions, but they are also not as beautiful as their wild counterparts.

Gourami and danio are not recommended together because danio are much more active. Having an active fish around a sedative one like gourami stresses out the sedative fish.

Depending on what is around you, you could try a native fish tank. In the stream behind my house I have fish that rival the tropicals for color. Mountain redbelly dace are my favorite. Many of the darters found in the US are stunningly beautiful.

---Izzy

Sitting by the koi pond

writings on fish and fishkeeping


thekoimaiden is offline  
post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 07:37 PM
Member
 
Pitluvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 2,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post

Gourami and danio are not recommended together because danio are much more active. Having an active fish around a sedative one like gourami stresses out the sedative fish.
I actually have my Danios and Gourami in the same tank, but it's a larger tank (29g). The Gourami is much faster than a Betta, mine can easily outrun a Danio. My Gourami is also the dominant fish of the tank, he chases the Danios. I would never guess Gourami as a sedate fish, as mine is a ball of fun who zips across his tank and never stops moving. He's a ham. Of course my Gourami is the first I have owned. I am unsure of the personality of the larger ones, but mines a Dwarf Neon Gourami.


Pitluvs is offline  
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 09:57 PM
Member
 
thekoimaiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 2,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
I actually have my Danios and Gourami in the same tank, but it's a larger tank (29g). The Gourami is much faster than a Betta, mine can easily outrun a Danio. My Gourami is also the dominant fish of the tank, he chases the Danios. I would never guess Gourami as a sedate fish, as mine is a ball of fun who zips across his tank and never stops moving. He's a ham. Of course my Gourami is the first I have owned. I am unsure of the personality of the larger ones, but mines a Dwarf Neon Gourami.
You must have the one exception to the rule because everything I have read about gourami and danio says they don't mix well. Gourami are pretty sedative fish. Mine just hang out below the water sprite all day. They chill and pick at the snails and other critters in the roots.

---Izzy

Sitting by the koi pond

writings on fish and fishkeeping


thekoimaiden is offline  
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 11:02 PM
Member
 
Pitluvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 2,886
You have seen my Freddy right? I think I just get unique fish, I always pick for personality, not color so maybe that's why :) Although, people here have no issue keeping Gourami with nippy tetras, danios, angels and such...

I've seen my guy hang out under the duckweed a few times, but he's mostly swimming around and touching everything with his little feelers :)


Pitluvs is offline  
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
kfryman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 2,252
Huh I like those fish Koimaiden! Can you catch me some? Jk, where would I find them though, I like the colors but I have never seen them on Aquabid, I look at the US native section a lot.

Don't a lot of people on here have neons or cories in hard water that do just fine? I would like a tank that has fish that can live in my water conditions but if I can't find any I will end up doing other fish. The Bay Area sucks :( I want softer water like just neutral so I can have any type of fish, or meet in the middle where I can slightly alter it.


15 Gallon NPT
1g no tech bowl in the making
kfryman is offline  
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
kfryman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 2,252
Cray fish seem cool! I could get one in the tank and have no other fish, though having it planted nice won't be allowed as they will eat the plants. Maybe swords and java fern? That is the last thing I will get though if I can't find any thing else.


15 Gallon NPT
1g no tech bowl in the making
kfryman is offline  
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 12:23 AM
Member
 
thekoimaiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 2,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
You have seen my Freddy right? I think I just get unique fish, I always pick for personality, not color so maybe that's why :) Although, people here have no issue keeping Gourami with nippy tetras, danios, angels and such...

I've seen my guy hang out under the duckweed a few times, but he's mostly swimming around and touching everything with his little feelers :)
You must have a turbo-gourami!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
Huh I like those fish Koimaiden! Can you catch me some? Jk, where would I find them though, I like the colors but I have never seen them on Aquabid, I look at the US native section a lot.

Don't a lot of people on here have neons or cories in hard water that do just fine? I would like a tank that has fish that can live in my water conditions but if I can't find any I will end up doing other fish. The Bay Area sucks :( I want softer water like just neutral so I can have any type of fish, or meet in the middle where I can slightly alter it.
They are pretty little buggers and hardy as I don't know what. You might have something like them in your backyard. The Phoxinus genus is found all over the US. I have seen other sites selling US natives. I think I've seen MRBD being sold before.

EDIT: Jonah's Aquarium - We sell native fishes - Shipping to the USA - Fish List This is the site I was thinking of. Many of these fish are collected not far from where I live.

People do keep them in hard water, but "doing fine" is up to debate. They won't show their full colors and will probably live less than normal. If you are okay with the risks, then you could give it a shot.

---Izzy

Sitting by the koi pond

writings on fish and fishkeeping


thekoimaiden is offline  
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
kfryman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 2,252
That place seems cool, have no idea what most of the fish are. Some have colors that look like killifish, actually they may be killifish, not sure as I am not an expert on them.


15 Gallon NPT
1g no tech bowl in the making
kfryman is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stocking ideas! :D MaisyDawgThirteen Other Fish 12 02-13-2012 08:21 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome