Help babby bunnys - Page 2 - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 03:32 PM
Member
 
Crowntailed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
It's highly illegal to keep any native wildlife that you catch in America.. You need permits to keep native mammals legally. Your vet will inform you of this. Cotton tails are wild animals.
It will most surely get a heart attack and die as soon as you catch it. That's just how rabbits are.
Posted via Mobile Device
+1

And why would u wana take a rabbit out of the wild?!?! Rabbits get stressed out very quick, so once you cought it it would most likely die from being so stressed out because there is some kid holding/playing with him. Rabbits are prey animals, so they hate to be held (well most do). Rabbits should never be taken out of the wild to be made into a pet.
Crowntailed is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
ootfifawithbubba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: usa alabama
Posts: 102
Im going to pic it up not trap its. Sillys

2 bettas , bubba and brooke both boys bubba is a halfmoon and brooke is a vt his pic is the sig pic and bubba is the profile/avatar pic , sorry for tipeos im normaly on my nook collor and the keyboad sucks YAY i love everyone <><
ootfifawithbubba is offline  
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Member
 
Olympia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 4,900
It will get a heart attack and die as soon as it's lifted into the air. Wild rabbits don't belong above the ground. It will also most likely let out an ear piercing scream. Yes rabbits scream when they're terrified. To that rabbit you are no better than a wolf or a hawk.
If you do this you'll be left with two options. Take it to the taxidermist, or enjoy some extremely tender fat free meat. Nothing like wild game, domestic rabbit can't compare to wild caught!

I've dealt with quite a few injured/young wild birds. Picking them up involves them screaming and biting you with all they can. Turtles? Well they defecate on you. Rabbits are much more delicate so I doubt you'll have to worry about this though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline  
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 07:00 PM
Member
 
Laki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Dartmouth, NS
Posts: 4,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionCalie View Post
Do not catch the baby wild bunny, leave the mother and her babies alone and in their natural habitat. It could very well be illegal. Wild rabbits do not do well captivity, especially young ones. They are stressed very easily.

Why take one from the wild and put in it a cage? Rabbits are the third most frequently surrendered pet in the United States and are euthanized in countless numbers because of it. If you really want a pet rabbit, adopt one from a shelter or rescue. Or you could even try Craigslist. It always has baby bunnies needing homes.
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ootfifawithbubba View Post
i live in an area where bunnys dont come to often , it may be a pet someone let loose , but its cotton tale bunny and im wateing til they grow up , and im not gona put him in a cage forever like u have to do with fish . but il take him out and play with him in the kitchen , and im wateing till he grows and leaves the nest , and i looked it up . we will bring him to a vet straight away
Please don't do it. This doesn't sound like an informed reason/justification. If you think you really want to have a rabbit, foster one for a rescue. Trust me. Domesticated rabbits are so far off from wild rabbits- it will surely die. If the momma bunny was a pet she wouldn't have survived long enough to make a nest for babies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowntailed View Post
+1

And why would u wana take a rabbit out of the wild?!?! Rabbits get stressed out very quick, so once you cought it it would most likely die from being so stressed out because there is some kid holding/playing with him. Rabbits are prey animals, so they hate to be held (well most do). Rabbits should never be taken out of the wild to be made into a pet.
+1. My rabbit is 5 and a half years old. She gets upset EVERY time I pick her up for grooming. Rabbits ARE NOT an ideal pet for beginners as many believe. And I doubt the vet would spay it for you- it probably wouldn't live long enough to be spayed anyway. Rabbits cost more than many other pets for vet care bc they require a special exotics vet in a lot of states. Small animals are not cats and dogs.

Please don't take a wild bunny.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." -N. Mandela
To my journal! http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/j...ourami-592858/
Laki is offline  
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 10:31 AM
Member
 
Crowntailed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by ootfifawithbubba View Post
Im going to pic it up not trap its. Sillys
Its the same thing to a bunny.... Eather way you will stress the rabbit out and most likely kill it...
Crowntailed is offline  
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 11:27 AM
Member
 
ZackyBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 692
Also not to mention when a rabbit goes into 'flight mode'. Just walking over and picking up a rabbit all willy nilly doesn't work. They run, jump, kick, bite, scratch. And you don't know if it carries a disease of some sort or not. As well as any ticks or other nasty little bugs.

In order for you to even get close to a wild rabbit to 'catch' it, you would have to use a trap. Which I'm betting is illegal.

In order for you to grab a wild rabbit right when it leaves the nest is impossible unless you are visiting the nest constantly, which is BAD. If you do this and the mother sees you, she could possibly abandon her young. She will see you as a predator near her nest, and will make the assumption that you have killed the litter.

That's what wild animals do...

~Transformers Is My Twilight~
Portal Prime - HMDT
-.-Dreaming of Koi-colored DTs-.-
Betta: EVOLUTIOOOON *jumps out of tank*
Owner:
ZackyBear is offline  
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 12:05 PM
TFK Moderator
 
Romad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 3,334
Just back away from the bunny nest. Don't you want what's best for the bunny? If so, leave it alone.

It will do just fine without you and doesn't need a playmate.

Animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers.
Romad is offline  
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 01:09 PM
Member
 
JKfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,428
Personally, I feel taking in pets is a responsibility that shouldn't be taken lightly. 90% of pet keeping is giving you animal the best life possible. Wild rabbits don't belong in tiny cages. Trust me. He or she would be miserable if he or she survived.

If you want a rabbit, get one that will thrive under your care. Wild rabbits will act as other people have said... Not to be mean, but the chance of rabbits dying of stress or fear is very high, especially for wild ones with extreme survival instincts.

If you want a bunny, get one that is domesticated, and care for it correctly, because they are more than smart enough to know when they are being miscared for.They are incredibly intelligent, heck you can teach them a bunch of tricks with patience. I know people whos pet rabbits are litter trained as to allow them to free roam a few rabbit safe rooms, and come when called by their name.

Have you considered researching? Rabbits can live some 10 to 20 years depending on the breed. Do you know everything you need to know about their care from young to very old? If you've done research, do you already have a hutch (the proper size, not the itty bitty things petstores sell) set up? Do you have the food, toys, bedding, and money saved up? Vaccinations and emergencies will cost a lot. Vet's aren't cheap. If you have the supplies, do you have a vet? If you have a vet, are there shelters, in state and out of state you have started contacting? Have you started applying? Yes. Good shelters have some sort of application process before giving their rescues to new homes. The bunnies have already had a failed first home, they don't need a second failure home. If you are serious about wanting to care for a rabbit and you have your parent's support, driving or getting driven to a shelter that has a bunny you want shouldn't be that big of a deal. Seeing as they live so long, commiting to a few hours of driving for your pet is nothing compared to the time and commitment of caring for your pet.


Last edited by JKfish; 05-18-2012 at 01:22 PM.
JKfish is offline  
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 01:31 PM
Member
 
PaintingPintos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Very far away from you!
Posts: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
Personally, I feel taking in pets is a responsibility that shouldn't be taken lightly. 90% of pet keeping is giving you animal the best life possible. Wild rabbits don't belong in tiny cages. Trust me. He or she would be miserable if he or she survived.

If you want a rabbit, get one that will thrive under your care. Wild rabbits will act as other people have said... Not to be mean, but the chance of rabbits dying of stress or fear is very high, especially for wild ones with extreme survival instincts.

If you want a bunny, get one that is domesticated, and care for it correctly, because they are more than smart enough to know when they are being miscared for.They are incredibly intelligent, heck you can teach them a bunch of tricks with patience. I know people whos pet rabbits are litter trained as to allow them to free roam a few rabbit safe rooms, and come when called by their name.

Have you considered researching? Rabbits can live some 10 to 20 years depending on the breed. Do you know everything you need to know about their care from young to very old? If you've done research, do you already have a hutch (the proper size, not the itty bitty things petstores sell) set up? Do you have the food, toys, bedding, and money saved up? Vaccinations and emergencies will cost a lot. Vet's aren't cheap. If you have the supplies, do you have a vet? If you have a vet, are there shelters, in state and out of state you have started contacting? Have you started applying? Yes. Good shelters have some sort of application process before giving their rescues to new homes. The bunnies have already had a failed first home, they don't need a second failure home. If you are serious about wanting to care for a rabbit and you have your parent's support, driving or getting driven to a shelter that has a bunny you want shouldn't be that big of a deal. Seeing as they live so long, commiting to a few hours of driving for your pet is nothing compared to the time and commitment of caring for your pet.
+1
I was going to reply, but you said everything for me.

7 bettas, 2 goldfish, 50+ (accidental) snails, 2 parakeets, 1 dog, 2 cats


Rest in peace Butch, greatest dog ever, Omelette the Veiltail, and Chipita the Veiltail
PaintingPintos is offline  
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 01:50 PM
Member
 
tpocicat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fresno, Ca
Posts: 2,355
Please don't do it.
My daughter used to raise and show Lionhead rabbits. She has done a lot of research on rabbits and their care. She was given two wild baby cottontails by someone that took them out of the wild because she thought they had been abandoned by their mother. My daughter did the best she could for them, but they died anyway.

Member of IBC
tpocicat is offline  
Reply

Tags
bad , bunny , helpme

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome