Myths - Page 5 - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 282 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Wow only do check ups? Ive never even heard of that before...
Yeah I guess my first guess something was bad about them when you see them next too a 7-eleven since my dad is a veteran my family uses a military veteran our dog seems okay with it she left her vaccines happy we also have a common goldfish 8 years old in 29 gallon not a big tank it is taller than wider I know it's very young my Betta is about two years not old and my female is a year not young.
ChoclateBetta is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 282 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 05:35 PM
Member
 
finnfinnfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Posts: 3,303
Yeah ive had my betta for 8 months now so i think he is about a year old now. I dont expect him to last to an old age because i suspect his genetics are not very good but we shall see...

5G - 1 betta: orange dalmatian VT male "Ty"
29G - 1 orange fantail goldfish "Goldeen"
finnfinnfriend is offline  
post #43 of 282 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,050
Sorry my dad is a veteran and we use a veterinarian on a military base.
ChoclateBetta is offline  
post #44 of 282 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Yeah ive had my betta for 8 months now so i think he is about a year old now. I dont expect him to last to an old age because i suspect his genetics are not very good but we shall see...
Genetics diets and exercise are what you need for health inbred fish grow slower and live shorter with more genetics you could get more interesting Bettas at my pet stores the fish are culls so the fish you are not of extreme quality for what they are being bred for so around here the show fish the fighters and the pets might be close fully related they are even from thialand. Another myth is they only use the labyrinth only when in seasonal droughts but the thousands of gallons they live in have low oxygen content do to low movement high temp. Also no matter the oxygen content they have to get some air from the surface or they drown. Scientist put Bettas in highly oxengated water and removed the labyrinth they all died.
ChoclateBetta is offline  
post #45 of 282 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Member
 
finnfinnfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Posts: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Genetics diets and exercise are what you need for health inbred fish grow slower and live shorter with more genetics you could get more interesting Bettas at my pet stores the fish are culls so the fish you are not of extreme quality for what they are being bred for so around here the show fish the fighters and the pets might be close fully related they are even from thialand. Another myth is they only use the labyrinth only when in seasonal droughts but the thousands of gallons they live in have low oxygen content do to low movement high temp. Also no matter the oxygen content they have to get some air from the surface or they drown. Scientist put Bettas in highly oxengated water and removed the labyrinth they all died.
Yeah well based on the fullness of his fins and his color he was probably not bred with much care. I have heard about that study where they removed the labrynths...

5G - 1 betta: orange dalmatian VT male "Ty"
29G - 1 orange fantail goldfish "Goldeen"
finnfinnfriend is offline  
post #46 of 282 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Yeah well based on the fullness of his fins and his color he was probably not bred with much care. I have heard about that study where they removed the labrynths...
When you said you heard of the study why did you do that?
ChoclateBetta is offline  
post #47 of 282 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,050
The one inch rule is a big myth like three dwarf Indian puffers need at least a ten gallon tank.
ChoclateBetta is offline  
post #48 of 282 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 08:22 PM
Member
 
finnfinnfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Posts: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
When you said you heard of the study why did you do that?
Why did I do what?

5G - 1 betta: orange dalmatian VT male "Ty"
29G - 1 orange fantail goldfish "Goldeen"
finnfinnfriend is offline  
post #49 of 282 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 08:23 PM
Member
 
finnfinnfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Posts: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
The one inch rule is a big myth like three dwarf Indian puffers need at least a ten gallon tank.
Yeah the one inch rule is a myth for everything except it can work for betta. But for a goldfish it is definately not true...

5G - 1 betta: orange dalmatian VT male "Ty"
29G - 1 orange fantail goldfish "Goldeen"
finnfinnfriend is offline  
post #50 of 282 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Why did I do what?
I meant the way you worded it.....
ChoclateBetta is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Betta Fish Myths? Sena Hansler Betta Chat 25 10-22-2011 11:58 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome