Pitbulls. hated for no reason. - Page 14 - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Like Tree21Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #131 of 682 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 02:55 PM
Member
 
FishyFishy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central FL
Posts: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
I just read through the post and I have to say I have lost all respect for certain people on here. I'm out of this topic. This is the reason I love my Pitbull, because she's not a one sided judgmental person who basis everything on personal experience and doesn't take 5 minutes of their day to get to know dogs for their individual personalities. Why don't we make a thread about African Americans so people can bash the whole race because one black man may have shot someone in their home town? Seems kinda ridiculous, and so does this.

To make that more clear, my Pitbull judges no one and loves everyone she meets. Some humans could learn a lesson from her. My own mother taught me not to judge people by race, or animals by breeds but each person and animal as individuals. And with that, I will teach my children the same way.
I'm sorry you had to lose your respect for everyone on this forum.
But every single person has their own opinion and not everyone is going to think exactly like you.

Brace Yourself.....Winter Is Coming
75 gallon Angel Paradise Updates:http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...gallon-220330/
Fluval Spec V Steel crowntail betta, 3 zebra danios,
Fluval Spec V - unnamed dumbo plaket betta, 3 zebra danios
FishyFishy89 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #132 of 682 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 03:02 PM
Member
 
Pitluvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 2,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
I'm sorry you had to lose your respect for everyone on this forum.
But every single person has their own opinion and not everyone is going to think exactly like you.
Not everyone, some. There are tons of great people on this board and I would never group everyone because there are some bad apples lol Everyone has opinions, that's correct but there's a tactful way to voice your opinion.


Pitluvs is offline  
post #133 of 682 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 04:07 PM
Member
 
freemike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Hickory, NC (USA)
Posts: 448
Pitluvs I think the problem is most of the Pitbull advocators are all for the education and not for any legislation. I don't think it is hate, but people are realizing what these dogs can do in the wrong hands. These dogs can become aggressive. I've never met a dog that isn't capable of aggression. I used to work with my uncle training military/police dogs over the summer when I was out of school. Even the sweetest Shepherds we could get to take down a man by tapping into its instinct. To be honest with you most of the time it was easier to train them to attack than to get to listen to the reprieve commands. It's not just Pits it's every breed of dog.

I'm just curious how your neighbor poisoned your dog? I'm hoping if he broke into your house, fenced off yard, or trespassed in some way you pressed charges. I'm really sorry you lost your dog, but at the same time if he was roaming around I can't blame your neighbor's action for Mason's death. I had 3 Shepherds that lived with me unfortunately I had to relocate 2 years ago and send them to my uncle's house to live. They had woods that we went hiking through and a 3 acre backyard that was fenced off with 10 foot fencing under lock and key with signs warning of the dogs. Now my Shepherds weren't trained to attack or guard I raised them as my pets. I don't believe they would ever hurt anyone, but I do NOT know how they would act if a stranger or got in or they got out if their handler (me) wasn't around. So I treated them like dogs. Did that mean I loved them less, no of course not... I just respected what they were.

This next bit applies to most species of animals. Most people get animals because they think they are cute, cuddly, and other merits that do not actually define them as animals. They should not be thought of as your family. I know we can get attached to them as much as family, but they are pets and animals. They are not human and do not have the cognitive abilities that we possess. These people get these animals and do not know how to properly care for them, properly house them, or how to train/handle them in social situations.

The problem with these breeds is people get some education. They hear oh not all Pitts are bad and go get one. They don't realize to properly train them takes more effort than other dogs. This is the reason when a kid gets attacked in his own home by his "pet", you have idiots on the news saying "We never thought he would ever hurt our kid. We have no clue how this happen. He always showed love and even played with them." Well I do know how it happened you're an idiot when it comes to raising a dog and should have never had that dog to begin with.
freemike is offline  
post #134 of 682 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 04:29 PM
Member
 
tpocicat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fresno, Ca
Posts: 2,355
All I have to add is that when my pit was a puppy, people were happy to pet him and make a fuss over him, and of course he loved it! Now that he is an adult, people will actually cross the street to get away from the horrible pit bull! Same dog, same love, when people act this way it only confuses him. He thinks he's a lapdog.

It's not the dog that is wrong, it is the human that doesn't train him/her correctly.

Member of IBC

Last edited by tpocicat; 03-13-2012 at 04:43 PM.
tpocicat is offline  
post #135 of 682 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 04:42 PM
Member
 
Aluyasha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 2,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemike View Post
This next bit applies to most species of animals. Most people get animals because they think they are cute, cuddly, and other merits that do not actually define them as animals. They should not be thought of as your family. I know we can get attached to them as much as family, but they are pets and animals. They are not human and do not have the cognitive abilities that we possess. These people get these animals and do not know how to properly care for them, properly house them, or how to train/handle them in social situations.
I see all my pets as family. Not in the sense that I treat them like people and they become brats. But even though I feel they are my family I know they are my animal, not human, family.
And it is understandable why people feel they are family. There was a study done on human brain hormone levels. They found that when a human pets and cuddles a dog they release the same hormones as when they hold a newborn human baby, they found that the dog also released the same hormones. :)
(There was a show that featured it, I believe it was NatGeo's Science of Dogs). Good show. lol

Bettas - Giovanni (HM), Burly (HMPK Giant).
Aluyasha is offline  
post #136 of 682 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Member
 
Bombalurina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,607
For you guys who own pits, I kind of know how you feel to a much lesser extent. There have recently been some cases of rat bite fever in Australia from domestic rats. Those who read the title of the article are convinced that all domestic rats are evil bitey little creatures who will give you diseases and ought to be banned or killed. Those who read the whole article know that the cases resulted from the owners contacting rat saliva after they kissed their rats' fur. Who doesn't kiss their animal on the top of the head when cuddling them? Anyway, my point is, people judge without ever bothering to get to know the breed. My friends make jokes about mudering my rats or feeding them to cats, or simply refuse to come to my house. Those that have come over and met my rats and given them a chance all agree that they are total sweethearts, very cute and intelligent.
People have a lot of stereotypes about breeds.

I do think there should be legislation ensuring that pitbulls are only owned by competent people, but unfortunately the people that obey the legislation are the people who didn't need it in the first place. :( Then again, I think that about all dogs...all animals, even.

Life.
Bombalurina is offline  
post #137 of 682 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 09:28 PM
New Member
 
Granberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 38
I read your sister's letter to Mason, and though it was heartbreaking, it was rewarding too. It made me feel good that Mason's painful death was just a few days of an otherwise awesome life. He was a beloved pack member and got to have a full life with many good experiences. It reminded me that we had given all that to Bogey too (minus all the sisters and cats!). He never went a Christmas without a gift under the tree, never spent a night outside in a pen, and got to sleep with us during storms and on 4th of July because he was scared of noises (I know, that's a huge no-no). Reliving that through the story of Mason comforted me. Even if I invite opinions by posting my own anecdote, it still smarts a bit when someone flippantly says I "killed" my dog. Some decisions are so personal to a family that it's unkind (especially for someone with such great sympathy for a dog) to second-guess them. Anyway, I appreciate your sharing the story of Mason. I wish the people who poisoned him were prosecuted because antifreeze poisoning is an excruciating death.

The idea that you "live in fear" of legislation that will take your dog or make it too expensive for you to keep your dog does impact me. I honestly do feel bad about that, and not just sad but also guilty. But you saw for yourself what happened on this own board when I told my story of a Rottweiler whose responsible and invested owners - the people who witnessed his behavior day-in and day-out - saw evidence that persuaded them that he posed a bite risk to a small child. Several posters jumped to the side of the dog, blindly willing to say it wasn't his fault, that it didn't justify euthanization. Aus suggested that there's no justification to put an "aggressive" animal (even an occasionally aggressive one) in a home with a child, and Molly (who indicated she has children) again sides with the dog saying that he shouldn't be euthanized until AFTER he had bitten a kid. Can you imagine the damage that could be done by the owner of a strong pitbull who took that "one free bite" position?

There is no arguing with that kind of rigid mindset. People who believe that way don't value children as much as I do and don't value range livestock as much as I do, and we won't find common ground. People like me decide to quit trying to compromise. There are a lot more of folks like me than folks like them, and we're usually the ones who pay real estate taxes and vote (elitist statement aside, homeowners associations are populated by homeowners, and I've never seen a HOA stip preserving the right to keep pitbulls). Laws and HOA stipulations are the result. And people like you - who are the smallest number of all - end up suffering, and that is an outright shame.

PS: Mason's teeth were impressively white! Sigh. I did not do a good job keeping up with Bogey's teeth; well done you. :)

Last edited by Granberry; 03-13-2012 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Tried to shorten it but failed
Granberry is offline  
post #138 of 682 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 10:00 PM
Member
 
shinybetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,112
I'm sort of afraid of dogs. Unless they are small (but I still wouldn't put my face by theirs). I don't hate dogs ( I like pugs crossed with other breeds, so they have less of a smashed in face), but I've been attacked by dogs before, they almost killed my cat, and my neighbors let their dog roam the neighborhood freely. Eventually the dog was taken to a rescue by animal control, but it had already attacked people, dogs, and cats. The point is I like them, but I am a bit scared of being by them. It's like how most people don't hate elephants, but wouldn't get right next to an adult elephant.

I only have 1 betta left, but he's a cool blue marble!
皆さん、こんにちは!私は一匹のベタを飼っています。
shinybetta is offline  
post #139 of 682 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 10:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granberry View Post
He was 8. When I was at the vet's having him put to sleep, a vet tech came in and whispered that said she'd take him off my hands and had land and several rotts. It annoyed me to no end that she would second guess my judgment. He was ours, and we were his, and it would have been cruel to rehome him. He would have been disoriented and confused to leave the only home he had ever known at his age (8 is pretty old for a rott). And letting him age at home wasn't an option for a strong, heavy dog who wasn't aging "gracefully" and lives with a 4-year-old.
I'm sorry I caused you pain by using the word killed, I'm just blunt.

Still would like to hear what testing was done on the dog before euthanizing and why not give him to that vet tech if she had no kids and a farm and other rotts?

I have adopted 3 senior dogs who became part of the family almost immediately. I wonder if your "grumpy old Rottweiler" would have been much happier at the vet tech's farm.

Nothing to do with pits or legislation but since you opened the door, I'm coming through
registereduser is offline  
post #140 of 682 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 10:31 PM
Member
 
MollyJean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granberry View Post
I read your sister's letter to Mason, and though it was heartbreaking, it was rewarding too. It made me feel good that Mason's painful death was just a few days of an otherwise awesome life. He was a beloved pack member and got to have a full life with many good experiences. It reminded me that we had given all that to Bogey too (minus all the sisters and cats!). He never went a Christmas without a gift under the tree, never spent a night outside in a pen, and got to sleep with us during storms and on 4th of July because he was scared of noises (I know, that's a huge no-no). Reliving that through the story of Mason comforted me. Even if I invite opinions by posting my own anecdote, it still smarts a bit when someone flippantly says I "killed" my dog. Some decisions are so personal to a family that it's unkind (especially for someone with such great sympathy for a dog) to second-guess them. Anyway, I appreciate your sharing the story of Mason. I wish the people who poisoned him were prosecuted because antifreeze poisoning is an excruciating death.

The idea that you "live in fear" of legislation that will take your dog or make it too expensive for you to keep your dog does impact me. I honestly do feel bad about that, and not just sad but also guilty. But you saw for yourself what happened on this own board when I told my story of a Rottweiler whose responsible and invested owners - the people who witnessed his behavior day-in and day-out - saw evidence that persuaded them that he posed a bite risk to a small child. Several posters jumped to the side of the dog, blindly willing to say it wasn't his fault, that it didn't justify euthanization. Aus suggested that there's no justification to put an "aggressive" animal (even an occasionally aggressive one) in a home with a child, and Molly (who indicated she has children) again sides with the dog saying that he shouldn't be euthanized until AFTER he had bitten a kid. Can you imagine the damage that could be done by the owner of a strong pitbull who took that "one free bite" position?

There is no arguing with that kind of rigid mindset. People who believe that way don't value children as much as I do and don't value range livestock as much as I do, and we won't find common ground. People like me decide to quit trying to compromise. There are a lot more of folks like me than folks like them, and we're usually the ones who pay real estate taxes and vote (elitist statement aside, homeowners associations are populated by homeowners, and I've never seen a HOA stip preserving the right to keep pitbulls). Laws and HOA stipulations are the result. And people like you - who are the smallest number of all - end up suffering, and that is an outright shame.

PS: Mason's teeth were impressively white! Sigh. I did not do a good job keeping up with Bogey's teeth; well done you. :)
Please don't put words in my mouth. I never said you should have waited til the dog bit someone.

I said that if you knew the dog might bite a child, the logical thing to do would be finding a home without children. If you knew the dog well enough to know what MIGHT set him off then you should have at least -tried- to find him a suitable home, and at the same time kept your children safe. You said someone offered to re-home the dog.. I'm sorry, but in my opinion you jumped to the last option you had available. It doesn't matter your reasons, it's too extreme for me.
MollyJean is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Raise your hadn if your possibly hated by walmart employee's! Arashi Takamine Betta Chat 20 03-26-2012 02:33 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome