Pitbulls. hated for no reason. - Page 29 - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Like Tree21Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #281 of 682 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 06:52 PM
Member
 
kfryman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 2,252
There is an advertisement on the side that is for muscles, guess what dog is on there? A pitbull with cropped ears and is barking... I hate things like this.


15 Gallon NPT
1g no tech bowl in the making
kfryman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #282 of 682 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 06:53 PM
Member
 
Olympia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 4,900
Every single ad on this site for me is aquarium related.. filters, tanks..
One time I looked at rabbit cages, and I had rabbit cages on the side for 2 days..
It KNOWS what you were searching online o-o
-so off topic-

taking a break from fish-keeping.
3 lovely male betta still keep me company.
Olympia is offline  
post #283 of 682 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Member
 
FishyFishy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central FL
Posts: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Yea the main argument for ears is that less infection gets in them.. We've never had problems with floppy eared boxers though.
I've never really known a reason for tail docking though, it used to be so any wild animal/dog would have less to bite, since tails break easily and it is a painful break.. Now I believe the purpose is considered more "preserving the historic image."
I know tails are docked when pups are under 5 days old.. the nerves in the tail aren't fully developed, so it's not as bad as it could be.. still painful, you cut the link between the bone.. Ears are cut when dogs are under anesthesia, and you have to be really on top of it for the weeks after, changing bandages, to prevent an infection!
yes
that was the most annoying thing to deal with when I got my doberman. If I get another doberman it will have fully healed cropped ears.
To me, it looks weird to see a floppy eared doberman.

Brace Yourself.....Winter Is Coming
75 gallon Angel Paradise Updates:http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...gallon-220330/
Fluval Spec V Steel crowntail betta, 3 zebra danios,
Fluval Spec V - unnamed dumbo plaket betta, 3 zebra danios
FishyFishy89 is offline  
post #284 of 682 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 07:09 PM
Member
 
Olympia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 4,900
I agree.. I've always wanted a noble majestic crop eared doberman.. However the only trustworthy cropper in Ontario lives 5 hours away and it takes weeks to get an appointment with him.. Far too late to crop her. I'd be too scared to go to just anyone. So my girl shall remain floppy!
I think cropping is fine, as long as you go to a responsible vet, and take care of the ears after.. Tail docking strikes me as worse even o-o
I want to become a vet, and I honestly don't know if I'd be willing to provide either service to people.

taking a break from fish-keeping.
3 lovely male betta still keep me company.
Olympia is offline  
post #285 of 682 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 07:39 PM
Aus
Member
 
Aus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Australia!
Posts: 2,128
Cropping is not a popular thing here, and never has been - thank goodness. I think cropped ears look weird and unnatural, not noble at all. They look exactly like the mutilation they are, and the fact that it's NOT done for the dog's benefit, but to satisfy the owner's desire for a certain 'image' imposed on the dog (an image, btw, that makes a total mockery of all the complaints about the breed's aggressive public image - as it's only aggressive-image breeds that get ears docked to make them look more aggressive, it doesn't happen to poodles..) -- I find that terribly hypocritical as well as incredibly selfish.

Sadly, docking is as just as prevalent here as in the States. I always feel a happy little glow when I see a lovely dobermann or rotty with natural ears & tail, way more magnificent in their natural, un-mutilated state.

I'm not a fan of animal mutilation, in case you couldn't tell..

PLANTED TANKS: AKA UNDERWATER JUNGLES
MY JOURNAL:
THE POET & THE FISH

Aus is offline  
post #286 of 682 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 07:44 PM
Member
 
Olympia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 4,900


Just wanted to say- cropped ears, not scary ;)

I don't mind the look.. but like as said, as a vet, I don't think I'd have the heart to cut a newborn pup's tail off.

taking a break from fish-keeping.
3 lovely male betta still keep me company.
Olympia is offline  
post #287 of 682 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 08:20 PM
Aus
Member
 
Aus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Australia!
Posts: 2,128
Agreed, not scary.

Deformed and unnatural. But not scary. ;)

PLANTED TANKS: AKA UNDERWATER JUNGLES
MY JOURNAL:
THE POET & THE FISH

Aus is offline  
post #288 of 682 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 08:41 PM
Member
 
Olympia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 4,900
I understand your point. It's changing the animal cosmetically. It's already illegal in the EU and a few other places. Fewer and fewer vets do it here in Canada. In a way it does make me happy.. but in another way, I think these dogs just look funny with long tails and such (personal opinion). I think if it became illegal I'd have to get a dog that isn't traditionally docked.
That comment was more toward the fact that that's a toy breed dog and you said they only crop big tough dogs. Btw, tail docking is fairly common in poodles. :p
http://www.gentledoberman.com/doberm...ng/controversy
The argument presented by Gentle Doberman says that cropped is the natural form of the ear.. o-o I guess it's just a personal perspective. I was personally hesitant to consider cropping, even if it would have been possible, due to the way people look at a dobie with cropped ears, not everyone sees "noble". It's something that we will never agree on :D
Either way, if people are doing it responsibly, I don't have much problem.. Those idiots that just hack off a pitbull's ears with a dull knife should be locked away for a long time however.

taking a break from fish-keeping.
3 lovely male betta still keep me company.
Olympia is offline  
post #289 of 682 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 08:49 PM
Member
 
Laki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Dartmouth, NS
Posts: 4,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyJean View Post
I've heard the reason to doc tails is because a pit's tail is very powerful and can hurt if it hits you by accident,
Has anybody ever been whipped by a greyhound's tail!??!? OUCH! Yet you never see a docked grey. Greyhounds are hardly dogs at all though! Just silly clowns <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post

Ear cropping makes the dog look meaner and more aggressive. For certain breeds (like the doberman) it makes them appear more alert, protective and noble.
I'm not sure on tail docking, i believe it is just a fad that became breed standard for some breeds.
I don't think the dog looks "noble".. My opinion is that the owner wanted it done for appearances. The Great Dane's cropped ears make it look somewhat more noble than floppy danes but I'd rather a clown any day!
Tail docking, I'm not sure in some breeds but in tradition here in Newfoundland, the beagle is the most widely used hunting dog. They are so abused and neglected that I just cannot describe the cruelty done to them (www.beaglepaws.com is a good start though) Some hunters dock the tails to prevent it from getting damaged in the s****y kennels they live in and from excitement during the hunt.. Though I think that's a load of ****.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Yea the main argument for ears is that less infection gets in them.. We've never had problems with floppy eared boxers though.

I know tails are docked when pups are under 5 days old.. the nerves in the tail aren't fully developed, so it's not as bad as it could be.. still painful, you cut the link between the bone.. Ears are cut when dogs are under anesthesia, and you have to be really on top of it for the weeks after, changing bandages, to prevent an infection!
Floppy ears = infection? That's only true if the owner fails to clean them!!! My terrier got only one ear infection during his life, although his ears were short.. I think cropped boxers look weird, I like floppy.

When tail docking is done by a registered vet, and responsible breeders it is done within 5 days. HOWEVER, to save money, many hunters here (and many byb's) do it themselves with elastic bands. Slowly and painfully the circulation is cut off and infection wipes off the tail. Sometimes the would heals, sometimes it remains infected and then the cruel experimenter must treat that with homemade antibiotics or whatever they have on hand to avoid the vet. Trust me, I've seen some pretty bad beagle cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Every single ad on this site for me is aquarium related.. filters, tanks..
One time I looked at rabbit cages, and I had rabbit cages on the side for 2 days..
It KNOWS what you were searching online o-o
-so off topic-
www.adblockpro.com it's freeeeee!!!! And I never see ads!

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." -N. Mandela
To my journal! http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/j...ourami-592858/
Laki is offline  
post #290 of 682 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 08:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Cropping is not a popular thing here, and never has been - thank goodness. I think cropped ears look weird and unnatural, not noble at all. They look exactly like the mutilation they are, and the fact that it's NOT done for the dog's benefit, but to satisfy the owner's desire for a certain 'image' imposed on the dog (an image, btw, that makes a total mockery of all the complaints about the breed's aggressive public image - as it's only aggressive-image breeds that get ears docked to make them look more aggressive, it doesn't happen to poodles..) -- I find that terribly hypocritical as well as incredibly selfish.

Sadly, docking is as just as prevalent here as in the States. I always feel a happy little glow when I see a lovely dobermann or rotty with natural ears & tail, way more magnificent in their natural, un-mutilated state.

I'm not a fan of animal mutilation, in case you couldn't tell..
+++++1
registereduser is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Raise your hadn if your possibly hated by walmart employee's! Arashi Takamine Betta Chat 20 03-26-2012 01:33 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome