I just went through some stuff because I'm getting a pitty puppy. He's 3 weeks old right now and I'll get him when he's 8 weeks. He's from a breeder and is being raised in a home with children, including a newborn.
A lot of people frown upon these dogs, but I think it quite ridiculous. They are big sweeties and are bred to do anything for their people. In all honesty, I trust labs less than I do bully breeds.
I grew up with a doberman that wouldn't hurt a fly. As a toddler, I led him around by the bandana he wore around his neck. He taught me to walk.
I hat a pit/lab mix that taught my daughter to crawl.
The puppy I am getting is going to be trained to be my service dog. A lot of people frown upon it because of the breed. In all honesty, I think people have just gotten it in their heads to fear these dogs because they don't really know them. Fear of the unknown really. And yet not so long ago, the American pitty was the mascot for our military. Now they ban these dogs from military installations and from so many cities. Not to mention how hard it is to find someplace to live that doesn't have a ban on the breed. If people would take just 5 minutes to interact with a family raised, well socialized pit, their entire view would be changed.
Heck, their are pics of my puppy's father laying with a newborn propped up against him. These are dogs that have been bred to love us and give their lives for us. A lot of people don't realize it, but most breeders of pits will put down any dog that shows human aggression.
I also found this and thought it cute so I'll share it with you all.
Top Ten Reasons Why You Can't Trust Vicious Pit Bulls
10. They will steal your spot on the couch while you are up getting a soda.
9. They will take the treat you give them and bury in the back yard like a paranoid crack head
hiding their stash.
8. They will jump on your bed with muddy feet. Making you do the laundry...again!
7. They will lick visitors with an uncontrolled passion only they understand.
6. They will cause children to smile.
5. They will make you feel horrible for not walking them by looking at you with deep sad eyes.
4. They will look at you like you committed a crime against them if you don't let them lick your
ice cream bowl.
3. They will cause wide spread happiness in large group settings.
2. They will crack you up by shaking their butts so hard you think they are going to snap in half.
And the number one reason why you can't trust vicious Pit Bulls...
1. They will steal your heart like a thief in the night, showing you complete and pure love that
only a Pit Bull can show.