I just want a new pet - Page 5 - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
finnfinnfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Posts: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Join a budgie forum :D
It's probably like bettas, you'd learn a lot that you wouldn't even reading books.
That's a good idea :)

5G - 1 betta: orange dalmatian VT male "Ty"
29G - 1 orange fantail goldfish "Goldeen"
finnfinnfriend is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 07:36 PM
Member
 
copperarabian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: California
Posts: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluyasha View Post
Do you mean parakeet as in small bird (what parakeet the word means) or parakeet as in budgie? I assume you mean Budgie. :)
Yes they do sleep at night, just put a cover over their cage when it is time to go to bed. Also, you should consider getting it a friend, birds are very social toward eachother. Sometimes when they are alone human companionship is not enough. You can get just one but keep an eye out for possible lonliness. :)
How about a cockatiel? They are fine alone and have the friendliness of budgies but easier training and not as skittish. Plus some you can teach to talk. I remember hearing a story from a friend who used to have one, the bird would land on his table and knock stuff off. When my friend would get mad and tell the cockatiel to stop the bird would say "no thanks, I love you". It was the cutest thing. lol
Parakeets are not only small birds. It defines a unrelated grouping of small to medium birds who usually have long tapered tails.

Budgies do make very good pets, and are cheap during the initial purchase. Males can be taught to speak, and both genders can learn many tricks and be cuddly. Because they are so small they generally don't enjoy being pet as much as larger birds. My two favorite small birds are Indian ring necks, and cockatiels.

Elrohir the plakat

Galah cockatoo & African Grey

Last edited by copperarabian; 04-12-2012 at 07:38 PM.
copperarabian is offline  
post #43 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 09:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 10,782
Just checking in and saw things got a little heated. We all okay here now? *anxious*

Hermit or fiddler crabs or frogs if you want to stick with aquatic animals. Otherwise, sorry, I'm no help. All I've ever had are cats, fish, and a very long-lived rabbit who I turned out to be allergic to. Loved him a lot though.

As for birds, Fin, if you are thinking seriously of a bird, definitely ask Copperarabian any and all questions. She is one of the most knowledgeable bird people around. :)
Sakura8 is offline  
post #44 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
finnfinnfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Posts: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Just checking in and saw things got a little heated. We all okay here now? *anxious*

Hermit or fiddler crabs or frogs if you want to stick with aquatic animals. Otherwise, sorry, I'm no help. All I've ever had are cats, fish, and a very long-lived rabbit who I turned out to be allergic to. Loved him a lot though.

As for birds, Fin, if you are thinking seriously of a bird, definitely ask Copperarabian any and all questions. She is one of the most knowledgeable bird people around. :)
Yeah, I think everything is okay now :)

5G - 1 betta: orange dalmatian VT male "Ty"
29G - 1 orange fantail goldfish "Goldeen"
finnfinnfriend is offline  
post #45 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
finnfinnfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Posts: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperarabian View Post
Parakeets are not only small birds. It defines a unrelated grouping of small to medium birds who usually have long tapered tails.

Budgies do make very good pets, and are cheap during the initial purchase. Males can be taught to speak, and both genders can learn many tricks and be cuddly. Because they are so small they generally don't enjoy being pet as much as larger birds. My two favorite small birds are Indian ring necks, and cockatiels.
Even though they may not like being pet as much, do they still like to perch on their human friends' shoulders/fingers?

5G - 1 betta: orange dalmatian VT male "Ty"
29G - 1 orange fantail goldfish "Goldeen"
finnfinnfriend is offline  
post #46 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 09:46 PM
Member
 
Aluyasha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Even though they may not like being pet as much, do they still like to perch on their human friends' shoulders/fingers?
Yes when tame they will perch on you. :)

Bettas - Giovanni (HM), Burly (HMPK Giant), Potato (EEHM), Vesper (HMPK).
Aluyasha is offline  
post #47 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 09:48 PM
Member
 
kfryman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 2,252
I had parakeets before, we would have them fly inside and were trained to land one your finger when you put it up. I remember having them land on my shoulder. Not sure about budgies. If you are looking for something cuddley or affectionate stay away from most aqautic animals as many can be injured by you touching them, like frogs or fish. I would say small mammals or birds. I know that one dwarf hamster can be housed in a ten gallon aqaurium that has a screen top. Just get some chews, a hide or two, and low climbing toys and substrate. They would be in your price range like most small mammals.

Guinea pigs require more room than others, I think 6 square feet or something like that.


15 Gallon NPT
1g no tech bowl in the making
kfryman is offline  
post #48 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
finnfinnfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Posts: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
I had parakeets before, we would have them fly inside and were trained to land one your finger when you put it up. I remember having them land on my shoulder. Not sure about budgies. If you are looking for something cuddley or affectionate stay away from most aqautic animals as many can be injured by you touching them, like frogs or fish. I would say small mammals or birds. I know that one dwarf hamster can be housed in a ten gallon aqaurium that has a screen top. Just get some chews, a hide or two, and low climbing toys and substrate. They would be in your price range like most small mammals.

Guinea pigs require more room than others, I think 6 square feet or something like that.
I already have a hamster and he does not make a good companion :/.....And I have a betta but I don't touch him lol...But I think a budgie would be nice

5G - 1 betta: orange dalmatian VT male "Ty"
29G - 1 orange fantail goldfish "Goldeen"
finnfinnfriend is offline  
post #49 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 09:52 PM
Member
 
Aluyasha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
I had parakeets before, we would have them fly inside and were trained to land one your finger when you put it up. I remember having them land on my shoulder. Not sure about budgies. If you are looking for something cuddley or affectionate stay away from most aqautic animals as many can be injured by you touching them, like frogs or fish. I would say small mammals or birds. I know that one dwarf hamster can be housed in a ten gallon aqaurium that has a screen top. Just get some chews, a hide or two, and low climbing toys and substrate. They would be in your price range like most small mammals.

Guinea pigs require more room than others, I think 6 square feet or something like that.
I own a dwarf hamster. Hams should be in a cage more the size of a 20g or maybe a 10g with tubes that connect to more cages. Mice can be in 10g though (if you have lots of toys and maybe even a play area).

Bettas - Giovanni (HM), Burly (HMPK Giant), Potato (EEHM), Vesper (HMPK).
Aluyasha is offline  
post #50 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 09:53 PM
Member
 
copperarabian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: California
Posts: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Even though they may not like being pet as much, do they still like to perch on their human friends' shoulders/fingers?
With small birds the best thing to do is buy a handed fed baby from a breeder or bird specialty store. They will love to be with you, enjoy being pet, and will definitely sit on your finger and shoulder. You can still buy a untamed budgie from a pet store and it will eventually enjoy sitting on your finger and shoulder, but may not be as cuddly as a hand raised bird. Depending on the store some employees may have already started the taming process for you. usually they go as far as getting the budgie to sit on your finger.

You should read this article about feeding birds. Unfortunately pet stores are recommended foods that are cutting are birds lives in half from organ failure.
http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/the-4...-healthy-diet/

Elrohir the plakat

Galah cockatoo & African Grey
copperarabian is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome