Betta Fish Forum banner

Encouraging to see in PetSmart

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  MrBubbles 
#1 ·
I went into PetSmart today in search of some supplements for my plants and thought I would take a peek at the bettas. To my surprise they were all gone!

No sadly someone didn't snatch them all up, but they were doing a daily water change.

It is encouraging to see that at least in my local PetSmart they are changing the water every day, feeding, and keep them in containers about twice the size you will see anywhere else. I know it is still not the ideal conditions, but it is good to see that they are moving in the right direction :)

Thought I would share since you hear so many depressing stories of unkept bettas.

#2 ·
Very happy to hear that. Doesn't happen enough for the gorgeous Betta's.

I was at PetSmart this last week because my friend was getting a carpet cleaner from them. I wandered over to the Betta's, and I found 2 in the "background" that were deceased. I made a big enough stink about it that they sent someone to handle the fish and make sure the water changes were done. But most of them seemed incredibly healthy.
^^;

#9 ·
The ladies at my petsmart seem to really care about them, but the manager doesnt.

The fish women always do a great job at keeping the water clean and them fed, but the display is only like 10 feet from the entrance so they have drafts any time the door opens. Once I walked in and found 12 dead betta. The fish woman felt horrible and I helped her get them off the shelves. I then told her that I would go with her to talk to the manager about moving the display away from the door but he wouldnt allow it. Even after seeing 12 dead ones he said "If customers cant see them then they wont think about buying one"
I dont understand why he wouldnt put them on the other side of the aisle where the rest of the fish are. Drove me nuts for a month!!

Anyways, not all petsmarts have the blue water. I've not been to one with it actually.

#14 ·
Sometimes that can encourage less water changes and therefor can make them more sick. When the water is blue you can't see the true colors of the fish, so you can't see how stressed they are/true colors or how exactly dirty the water is.

Most people have been trained to see blue as a "clean" color. (It's true. Almost every cleaning product has blue on it at least somewhere. :lol: )

It can also be overcompensation if the fish is healthy, and you're unnecessarily adding medication to him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.