5 Gallon Tank Journal & Log - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 87
5 Gallon Tank Journal & Log

Hello. I've had my 5 gallon bowfront tank for about a month. Its current inhabitant is an african dwarf frog.

The first betta I had in there didn't eat in three days. I came home to find it with its tail caught in the Marina i25 internal filter. The fish died. I returned the filter, and bought a Top Fin 10 Power Filter.

My second betta ate reguarly, and he was a very pretty crowntail. I was happy to see him eating his Omega One flakes. I came home to find this one with its tail caught in the Top Fin 10 Power Filter. The fish died. I returned the Top Fin 10 power filter and bought some activated carbon and aquarium silicone.

I got a piece of 3" PVC pipe and a cap. I really only needed 1" pipe because the 3" pipe takes up like 3" of the 10" length of the tank, so he doesn't have much room. I put a sponge in, and some activated carbon. I siliconed the cap on, drilled a hole for the airline tubing, and drilled some bubble release holes at the top. So right now, I have a homemade, oversized sponge filter.

I have an Elite single sponge filter coming in the mail. I bought it off Amazon for $6 and it should be a lot smaller than my current filter so my frog has some roaming space.

The frog is mainly in there until I get the sponge filter, and until the nitrogen cycle is complete. I just got my API test kit in the mail today, and tested my water. I had about 2ppm ammonia which is pretty high, so I did about a 10% change right now and I'm doing a 25% change tomorrow. That should bring the ammonia down a bit. My logs for today were:

Wednesday, June 6th, 2012:
Ammonia - 2ppm
Ammonia (after 10% change) - 1.75ppm
Nitrite - 0.15ppm
Nitrate - 0ppm
pH - about 7.4. Should I be concerned? I don't know about pH.

Last edited by Cargo; 06-06-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Cargo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 02:01 AM
Aus
Member
 
Aus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Australia!
Posts: 2,128
Quote:
I came home to find it with its tail caught in the Marina i25 internal filter. The fish died. I returned the filter, and bought a Top Fin 10 Power Filter.

My second betta ate reguarly, and he was a very pretty crowntail. I was happy to see him eating his Omega One flakes. I came home to find this one with its tail caught in the Top Fin 10 Power Filter.
Omigosh.. what rotten luck! I hope you have better betta experiences in future. I'm looking forward to reading your tank journal - I've not yet deliberately cycled a tank, so these threads are a great future reference.

Are you cycling the 5 gallon with the frog in? The ph level is fine for bettas - they've been known to tolerate quite high levels, up to 8, if they're adapted to it over time. Not sure about frogs, though, I know next to nothing about that species.

Are you planning on another betta, once the cycle's complete? If so, is there a specific kind you'd be looking for?

PLANTED TANKS: AKA UNDERWATER JUNGLES
MY JOURNAL:
THE POET & THE FISH

Aus is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Omigosh.. what rotten luck! I hope you have better betta experiences in future. I'm looking forward to reading your tank journal - I've not yet deliberately cycled a tank, so these threads are a great future reference.

Are you cycling the 5 gallon with the frog in? The ph level is fine for bettas - they've been known to tolerate quite high levels, up to 8, if they're adapted to it over time. Not sure about frogs, though, I know next to nothing about that species.

Are you planning on another betta, once the cycle's complete? If so, is there a specific kind you'd be looking for?
Not sure.. if I do get a betta, it will be a crowntail. I was going to get one more ADF because I hear they like being in groups.
Cargo is offline  
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 87
New sponge filter came in the mail yesterday. Its the Hagen Elite single sponge filter. It is pretty big, maybe too big for a 5 gallon, but it would work better in a 10 gallon. It still works though, and the frog has a bit more room now. The frog has recently been trying to escape the tank. It doesn't have a hood, so I have to keep the water level about 1.5 inches from the top otherwise he will escape. I found him on the counter the other night, and put him back in the tank. He is fine now. Since then I drained the water level about 0.5 inches. I'm confident he can't escape now.

Saturday, June 9th, 2012:
Ammonia - 1ppm
Nitrite - 0.15ppm
Nitrate - 0ppm
pH - 7.4
Cargo is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 03:02 PM
Member
 
Olympia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 4,900
:o careful with the frog. They can dry up and die within an hour of being out of water.
Also, frogs are a lot more sensitive to toxins than fish are. 1ppm of ammonia will cause permanent damage to any aquatic animal.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
:o careful with the frog. They can dry up and die within an hour of being out of water.
Also, frogs are a lot more sensitive to toxins than fish are. 1ppm of ammonia will cause permanent damage to any aquatic animal.
Posted via Mobile Device
Working on lowering ammonia. Gonna change about 30% of the water tomorrow.
Cargo is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome