Betta Fish Forum banner

Molly pregnant for too long

7K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  rangerserena 
#1 ·
On Christmas, I got 3 mollies and 2 platies. One molly was a boy, the other 2 were girls. Immediately I saw the boy mating with one of the girls, and assumed she would get pregnant. Her stomach was getting bigger slowly, like I would imagine a normal pregnant fish would get. Her due date was near the end of January, but she never gave birth. Her stomach is still huge, and she got the gravid spot about 2 weeks ago. Is she pregnant? Or just extra fat?

Also, I bought new plants yesterday and added them to the 30 gallon aquarium. Today at around 12, I was looking around and saw a tiny thing, thought it was a poop, but realized it was a baby. I checked the fat fish quickly, but she was swimming around like normal. I might've gotten the baby when I got the plants, but my dad brought home the plants, so I dont know what fish were swimming around with the plant. I took out the baby and it's in a container now. Anyone know how to care for a baby fry? Its my first time.

#3 ·
Samn here. Heres my sunburst platy. She been round and fat fpr at least 2 almost 3 weeks. Shes fatter then my dalmation molly and the molly surprised me and had her babies yesterday in the big community tank before i could move her to the breeding box.... Ill be moving my platy in the morning just in case.

Attachments

#7 ·
My molly had her first batch of fry on January 4, then the next February 10, so 37 days apart. She was skinny for all of 4-5 days and back to pudgy. She always looks about to pop and just when I think she can't get bigger, she does.

I say give it some time, I think I read it can be up to 45 days. I think average is a month.

#10 ·
Yeah, they store sperm in little "packets" for up to a year too. So even without a male, if they have mated just once, they can have babies for up to a year. Prolific little boogers. :)

#13 ·
They don't always get pregnant every time they mate. Our guppies (pretty similar) are constantly mating, but thankfully, the girls are holding off on having babies.

Always go on the gravid spot, that's definite. Especially once you start seeing babies, like you are! ^_^

Congrats!

(PS they CAN go up to a 45 day pregnancy, we've had a couple of our girls pull that, or just be fat and not pregnant, they're well-spoiled)

#15 ·
It's easyer to watch for the gravid with the platys and my 24 karet molly but ive given up with my dalmations. That dang platy been fat so long i was starting to think she had bloat or constipated and i was starting to look up remedies, im so glad now i can see she is in fact pregnate

Congrats! I wish my platy would have babies, i'd have little mickey mouse platies swimming around ^.^ Maybe she is pregnant now though, I noticed she is bigger than usual.
I think that sunburst was pregnate when i got her cause i only had 2 girls. I hate having to sleep cause i know she'll have her babies then just like my 24 karet did. At least i have her in the breeding box so i can hopfuly save more then 4 babies
Mind you the 24 karet had her babies about 2 weeks ago and she is pregnate again i could just barely see what i think are babies in her today so she went into my first phase breeder box

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.