Show trends - Page 6 - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 01:22 AM
Member
 
aemaki09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Central, OH
Posts: 2,677
I can see both sides to the VT argument.
They really arent symmetrical, so how are they supposed to be judged with all the other tail types?
BUT they are what got most people in this hobby to begin with, so it would be nice to see them at the shows.
I can see them making a class for them, but how would they be judged in the BOS classes? The judges would have to look for completely different flaws on them than all the other fish in the class.

10 HM, 3 HMPK, 5 HMPK fry
8 German Blue Ram, 5 Green Dragon BNP, 4 Albino BNP, 4 Calico BNP, 6 Red BNP, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 2 ADF, 7 Peppered Cories, & 6 Tiger Endlers + Fry
12 full time tanks, 4 NPT, 6 QT/Breeders
Member IBC
aemaki09 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #52 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 09:12 AM
Mo
Member
 
Mo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,667
Aemeki what are you talking about? Lol. All different tail types, and colors have different judging criteria already

Mo is offline  
post #53 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 09:17 AM
Member
 
ChibreneyDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
Aemeki what are you talking about? Lol. All different tail types, and colors have different judging criteria already
I think what he is getting at is that most of the point standards are ABOUT symmetry! VTs dont HAVE that.
But I too started with a VT. I loved him very much.

Just keep swimming.
ChibreneyDragon is offline  
post #54 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 09:33 AM
Member
 
hannah16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 944
Perhaps they could judge based on color and maybe they could set a standard about the slop of the tail?

I don't know, either way I'd love to see a VT class. My first betta was a VT so they'll always have a place in my heart.


Dei Vallie ~ HM M Pinkster ~ VT M Rheya ~ CT F Stardust ~ CT M Koi ~ HMPKEE M Zippy ~ HM M Princey ~ PKEE M Zeke ~ HMPK M Toothless ~ HM M Celestial ~ VT F Frost ~ HMPKEE M Unnamed ~ DT M PeachyKean ~ HMEE M Pongo ~ HM M JellyBeanRayne ~ VT F Unnamed ~ DeltaTDS M
hannah16 is offline  
post #55 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 10:50 AM
Member
 
aemaki09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Central, OH
Posts: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibreneyDragon View Post
I think what he is getting at is that most of the point standards are ABOUT symmetry! VTs dont HAVE that.
But I too started with a VT. I loved him very much.
Yup that's exactly what I mean. When judging other tails they look for symmetry, how can they do that with VT's? They cant. So it'd be completely different

My thinking on this is that at dog shows, judges look for all the same flaws and characteristics on each dog, thOugh it may be tweaked a little from breed to breed its still the same. Same with horse shows, they are all judged by the same standards unless it's color.
I know these are fish so it's different. But I've been showing dogs and horses since I was 8 so 14 years, so that's what I am used to

10 HM, 3 HMPK, 5 HMPK fry
8 German Blue Ram, 5 Green Dragon BNP, 4 Albino BNP, 4 Calico BNP, 6 Red BNP, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 2 ADF, 7 Peppered Cories, & 6 Tiger Endlers + Fry
12 full time tanks, 4 NPT, 6 QT/Breeders
Member IBC

Last edited by aemaki09; 12-27-2012 at 10:54 AM.
aemaki09 is offline  
post #56 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 05:18 PM
Member
 
MoonShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Winchester, KY
Posts: 1,278
In international shows there are classes for the veiltails, there was actually a show in Holland (I believe) back in August where the winner of the male veiltail class also won Best of Show

This was the male

One hand reaches out and pulls a lost soul from harm. While a thousand more go unspoken for, they say what good have you done? By saving just this one... It's like whispering a prayer in the fury of a storm. And I hear them saying... You'll never change things...
MoonShadow Betta Fish Rescue
Saving the world one innocent life at a time
MoonShadow is offline  
post #57 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 05:31 PM
Member
 
aemaki09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Central, OH
Posts: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonShadow View Post
In international shows there are classes for the veiltails, there was actually a show in Holland (I believe) back in August where the winner of the male veiltail class also won Best of Show

This was the male
Nice!! I didn't know that! Can you find out how they are judged Both by themselves and compared to others?

10 HM, 3 HMPK, 5 HMPK fry
8 German Blue Ram, 5 Green Dragon BNP, 4 Albino BNP, 4 Calico BNP, 6 Red BNP, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 2 ADF, 7 Peppered Cories, & 6 Tiger Endlers + Fry
12 full time tanks, 4 NPT, 6 QT/Breeders
Member IBC
aemaki09 is offline  
post #58 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Maddybelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Alabama
Posts: 394
Found this on MoonShadowBettas.com:

Bettas4all (an international betta specific forum) have developed their own international show standard for the veiltail betta, and in shows over in the netherlands and such bettas are allowed in the shows. According to bettas4all the show standard for a veiltail betta is as follows
Standard Veiltail (VT)
Dorsal (dorsal fin)
The Dorsal is narrower at its base and has fewer rays than the (other fin variants.)(1)The fin should run in a sickle-shaped manner and not exceed over of the body length of the fish. It should not (run out in individual rays.) (2)Overlapping of the Dorsal over the fish body is not desired.
Caudal (caudal fin)
The caudal fin should be full with a broad base, but (long stretched.) (3)It should be at least the same length as the body of the fish. The rays come out of the tail root steeply rising in the upper part of the fin and then after reaching its highest point at 20% of the entire fin length, drop down in an even (elbow.)(4)
Within the lower part of the fin the rays come out almost straight
from the tail root with an (easy upward arranged)
(5)curvature and then
drop down parallel to the other fin rays. Thus results in a light sickle-shaped (long stretched optics.)
(6) The Caudal must be able to be
carried easily by the fish in its entire length. The ends of the rays
should not have any spikes or indentations. An (easily corrugated)
(7)
fin border is permitted. The fin volume is to be stretched completely
(not too many rays and/or too much skin between the rays, no
pleating) when the fish flairs.

Anal (anal fin)
The anal fin should (set up at the highest point of the body)(8) and
be at least as long as the body and run out in its deepest end
(pointedly. The form is to resemble a parallelogram.)
(9)
Ventrals (ventral fins)
The ventral fins are to be the same length as one another and should look like a curved knife blade. They should BE at least 1/3 as long as the
body.

Solstice - cellophane HM female
Maddybelle is offline  
post #59 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,050
Isnt Chocolate technicaly Dark colored Bi-color?
ChoclateBetta is offline  
post #60 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 06:43 PM
Member
 
ChibreneyDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddybelle View Post
Found this on MoonShadowBettas.com:

Bettas4all (an international betta specific forum) have developed their own international show standard for the veiltail betta, and in shows over in the netherlands and such bettas are allowed in the shows. According to bettas4all the show standard for a veiltail betta is as follows
Standard Veiltail (VT)
Dorsal (dorsal fin)
The Dorsal is narrower at its base and has fewer rays than the (other fin variants.)(1)The fin should run in a sickle-shaped manner and not exceed over of the body length of the fish. It should not (run out in individual rays.) (2)Overlapping of the Dorsal over the fish body is not desired.
Caudal (caudal fin)
The caudal fin should be full with a broad base, but (long stretched.) (3)It should be at least the same length as the body of the fish. The rays come out of the tail root steeply rising in the upper part of the fin and then after reaching its highest point at 20% of the entire fin length, drop down in an even (elbow.)(4)
Within the lower part of the fin the rays come out almost straight
from the tail root with an (easy upward arranged)
(5)curvature and then
drop down parallel to the other fin rays. Thus results in a light sickle-shaped (long stretched optics.)
(6) The Caudal must be able to be
carried easily by the fish in its entire length. The ends of the rays
should not have any spikes or indentations. An (easily corrugated)
(7)
fin border is permitted. The fin volume is to be stretched completely
(not too many rays and/or too much skin between the rays, no
pleating) when the fish flairs.

Anal (anal fin)
The anal fin should (set up at the highest point of the body)(8) and
be at least as long as the body and run out in its deepest end
(pointedly. The form is to resemble a parallelogram.)
(9)
Ventrals (ventral fins)
The ventral fins are to be the same length as one another and should look like a curved knife blade. They should BE at least 1/3 as long as the
body.
Wished I lived in the Netherlands! Not only could I stalk John Green on his vacations, but I could enter my VT!

Just keep swimming.
ChibreneyDragon is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do they show Betta at a show? sstacy19 Betta Chat 12 10-16-2012 11:15 PM
Any of you going to the next IBC show? Ethan The Lounge 2 05-22-2012 03:56 PM
Just had to show someone. ZergyMonster The Lounge 5 04-18-2012 01:13 AM
IBC Show monroe0704 Betta Chat 14 03-27-2011 11:36 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome