Worth Breeding - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Dwarden3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 188
Worth Breeding

I know he probably isn't, but I just want to start getting an idea of what is good in a breeding fish before I end up with hundreds of poorly bred fry. He is a crowntail male, about 9 months old.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (4).jpg (31.6 KB, 277 views)
Dwarden3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 09:14 PM
Reference Team
 
MattsBettas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 7,812
Do you have any good side flaring pics that aren't just a silhouette?
MattsBettas is offline  
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Dwarden3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 188
Better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Do you have any good side flaring pics that aren't just a silhouette?
Is this a better image?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (6).jpg (38.7 KB, 449 views)
Dwarden3 is offline  
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 09:43 PM
Member
 
tngirl92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Macon, GA
Posts: 275
I think he's pretty!
tngirl92 is offline  
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 10:37 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 2,082
Not breeding quality, he has a very poor spread, and uneven rays, his fins look scraggly and rays are to long and thin IMO.
His colour has a red wash which again is not good.
Definitely not a breeding quality fish but a nice pet non the less.
BeautifulBetta123 is offline  
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Dwarden3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 188
Thanks! I am new to this, what do you mean by poor spread? Also, this picture is a couple of months old. Sigmund( the betta) is getting kinda old now, so he can't really be bred anyway. I really want to research breeding while Sigmund is alive, and then give it a shot when he passes. Also, how do you properly cull before you can see characteristics? Do you have any other advice?
Dwarden3 is offline  
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Dwarden3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBetta123 View Post
Not breeding quality, he has a very poor spread, and uneven rays, his fins look scraggly and rays are to long and thin IMO.
His colour has a red wash which again is not good.
Definitely not a breeding quality fish but a nice pet non the less.
Do you have any advice or responses to my post before this one?
Dwarden3 is offline  
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 11:49 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 2,082
Poor spread means he has a poor spread on his caudal XD
Now a days in the show business every thing needs to have a 180 degree spread in there caudal (tail)
You fish is very far from it. I can post a pic of a ct with finnage I like if you want.
The red wash is not good, you never want red wash and are docked points for it in a show it is fairly hard to work out of a line.
You can not cull properly before you see characteristics, many breeders don't cull at all, others cull hundreds to get the best five fish. I personally only will cull fish with extreme deformities that will affect there quality of life. Who cares if the fish has a causal that is not the perfect shape? He still may be breed quality or a great pet!
So once the fish begin to grow there fins and show characteristics you may begin to cull, as you become a more experienced breeder you will get an eye for fish with good and bad fins. I wish you the best of luck and I am no expert so listen to lots of other people too a great person to contact about info on this stuff is BasementBettas.
Post a spawn log when you have a nice pair and are prepared to spawn!
BeautifulBetta123 is offline  
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Dwarden3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBetta123 View Post
Poor spread means he has a poor spread on his caudal XD
Now a days in the show business every thing needs to have a 180 degree spread in there caudal (tail)
You fish is very far from it. I can post a pic of a ct with finnage I like if you want.
The red wash is not good, you never want red wash and are docked points for it in a show it is fairly hard to work out of a line.
You can not cull properly before you see characteristics, many breeders don't cull at all, others cull hundreds to get the best five fish. I personally only will cull fish with extreme deformities that will affect there quality of life. Who cares if the fish has a causal that is not the perfect shape? He still may be breed quality or a great pet!
So once the fish begin to grow there fins and show characteristics you may begin to cull, as you become a more experienced breeder you will get an eye for fish with good and bad fins. I wish you the best of luck and I am no expert so listen to lots of other people too a great person to contact about info on this stuff is BasementBettas.
Post a spawn log when you have a nice pair and are prepared to spawn!
Wouldn't a 180 degree caudal fin make it a halfmoon? The strain I want to make one day is a Rosetail with spiked rays like a CT. I'd love to see a photo of a CT with nice finnage if it is no trouble. Also, Sigmund (the betta in the photo) wasn't flaring very well in that picture. I don't know how to make him flare for pictures.
Dwarden3 is offline  
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 12:19 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 2,082
To be show worthy it should have a 180 spread, it is still a ct but has a good spread.
This betta (random pic off google) has a nice spread and even rays, I like this boy :)
As for making him flare for pics, there are lots of different ways, try floating another fish in a cup in his tank, or put a mirror by him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (51.2 KB, 258 views)
BeautifulBetta123 is offline  
Reply

Tags
blue , breeding , crowntail

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Worth Breeding? Mahsfish Show Bettas 35 04-09-2013 12:33 AM
Is he worth breeding? Aluka Show Bettas 7 03-15-2013 09:44 PM
Worth Breeding? Mahsfish Show Bettas 22 03-09-2013 08:08 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome