Betta Fish Forum banner

Neon Tetra!

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  AlphaBetta1 
#1 ·
This is a thread for those who keep Neon Tetra. Post about their foods, habits, and whatever else they do!

#3 ·
Ah, I love tetras. They're gorgeous, hardy little things.
I lost my school when I was moving in December and I miss them. I might be getting more to fill out my community tank though!

#5 ·
i never knew there were neon tetra look-a-likes until i saw them at the store, they're called cardinal tetras, lol. They're a lot bigger than neons and a lot more fun to look at in my opinion, but neons are just as cool! I've had neons when i was a kid.

#7 ·
Remember that generally tetras will thrive in softer, more acidic water and in hard alkaline water you may not get the same colour intensity - or happy fish! :)

Personally, I love embers (which I own). They are tiny and adorable, incredibly peaceful (perfect tankmates for a betta!) and just look so amazing in a heavily planted tank. :) Cardinals are my second favourite.

#8 ·
Cardinal Tetra are awesome, I'm interested in keeping some of them eventually. My tetra are pretty inactive during the day...they move sometimes, but when I turn my AQ lights out, they are sooo active.

#9 ·
I had a couple Neons with my Betta. They eventually got stuck in the intake and died. How they got in there when the intake was fish proof. I dunno. One eventually died. They were pretty small when I got them. I have Glowlight Teteras in my tank right now. They're healthy and their doing fine. I like to get some more. They always attack the sinking pellets when I feed my cories. lol

#13 ·
I have 6 Neon Teras in my Betta tank if there is one thing I've noticed is they can be a bit of a bully school. They seem to like wait until my betta fish isn't looking then go up and nip his tail. They don't do any harm, there is no damage to his tail I think they do it just to gauge he reaction as my betta fish has a tendency to try and catch them.

#15 ·
I keep a mixed flock of 7 neon and 4 glowlines. They are fun to watch cruising around the middle of my big tank. They've gotten big enough so that they come up and snatch pellets from my sorority girls at feeding time. The bettas are chill, they return the favor by eating some of the mini pellets for the tetras.

#17 ·
I've had my neons for about 4 months now, and two weeks ago I put my betta in, and so far they haven't had any issues. They just run when he swims by.

#18 ·
This tank is only three months old, so we'll have to see how they do long term. I did have a few of them die within a few days of purchase (and thanks for the ich outbreak too) but the ones that made it are doing really great. Unfortunately the ich episode did cost me my original Farlow and one of my original sorority girls :|

I've since read they are a pretty common vector for ich, but that's water under the bridge now. I do hope they continue to do well, cause they are pretty, and cause I would rather not have that happen again now that the tank is fully stocked!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.