Betta Fish Forum banner

Wanted: Everything!

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  bettacrazygirl86 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm going to be going off to college this fall, and the college I might be going to allows their residents to have 10 gallon fish tanks!

Here's my plan: I plan to get a 10 gallon tank kit (with filter, hood, etc) and divide it with one of those mesh dividers that I can either make or buy at Petsmart. I'm going to get a different filter, probably an Aquaclear or something adjustable. I'm going to use plain colored gravel as the substrate, and get a few live plants. I need to get the light bulbs too, but Petsmart has them for $5 each, so I think I'll be okay in that department. I need a few more hiding spaces and a floating betta log for my female betta, since I'm sure she'd love one.

I've already counted up about how much money everything will cost, and it's wayyyy too much! It'll be over $100 to buy everything I want from Petsmart or my LFS.

So, I'm turning to you guys.

If you have anything on the following list that you would be willing to sell or are looking to get rid of, please contact me! I live in southern NJ, so if you're nearby, I could come pick it up rather than have it shipped. Much cheaper that way. :)

Okay, I need the following:

10 gallon tank with hood (Not LED lighting)
DIY Dividers
Live Plants (Beginner, low maintenance, really want anubias, hornwort, java fern, and moss balls, but others will do)
Adjustable filter (Brand doesn't matter much, as long as I can adjust the flow to keep my fish from getting pushed around)
6500k bulbs (20 watts total)
Any decorations no longer being used

If you guys can help me out at all, it'll be much appreciated! I'm really just hoping I can get better quality stuff for cheaper than I can in the store. :( I'm sure everything has been really well cared for, since I'm asking you guys and you wouldn't be on the forum if you didn't love your fish and want to care for them properly.

Let me know if you have any of the things on my list, and let me know how much you want for them! It would be nice if you could also tell me the shipping costs from you to me. Thank you very much!

See less See more
#4 ·
It probably wouldn't. :( Besides, I've noticed you've had loads of trouble finding plants because no one can ship to you, so I don't want to take away what you already have. xD

Keep an eye on Craigslist! I just got a 10 gallon aquarium with lighted hood and filter for 10 bucks. Walmart also has a tetra 10 gallon starter kit for 30 bucks
I have been, but nothing in my area looks like it's in good shape. :( And there aren't many 10 gallons. I have been talking to someone who is selling one for $40, and they said it has a hood and stuff. It looks nice, so I'm hoping they still have it. I asked them what else comes with it, so I'm just waiting on a reply now.

I saw the ones in Walmart, but Petsmart actually has a kit cheaper, I think. I don't care too much whether it comes with a filter or not, since I'll be buying a separate one. I just want the hood, but it's cheaper to get a kit than to buy a tank and a hood separately, which I don't quite understand.

#13 · (Edited)
I plan to, at some point. We have a few Goodwills around us, and there's one thrift shop I know about nearby. It's just that I trust you guys more for used tanks than I do others. I don't know if they've used soap on it before or not. I will look though. I don't know if I'll find anything, but it's worth a shot.

I don't live anywhere near OK, unfortunately. :( And I'm never down that way.

Here's an option:

Tank kit from Walmart: $38
Pool filter sand/play sand, etc.: $5
Silk plants from craft store (no metal): $5
DIY dividers: $3? maybe.
Silicone: $3
random free rocks (for attaching silk plants to sink or decoration), coffee cups for caves: free

Total cost: ~ $60
Maybe... Petsmart has a kit for $20 that I saw, and I already have gravel. If I need more, my LFS has it for $4. I already have some silk plants and stuff, but I want live plants. :(

If you have the right lighting for live plants I have some starter stems and what not.... PM me for details
I don't have the lighting yet, since I don't have any money at the moment. I will PM you about them though. :) Thanks.

I have a ton of plants, if you are interested PM me when you are ready for them and I'll let you know what I have available at that time.

I also have a ton of rocks and driftwood, but they'd make shipping more expensive than just plants a lone.

if that 10 gallon comes with the stand, then it might be worth getting, but IMO, you can just set a kit on your desk at school and it'd be about $10 cheaper...

I agree with going for playsand, it'll be more work on your part, but is much cheaper than gravel, and do your own dividers, $3 total...you may want to get silicone to keep em stuck in place but its not a necessity.
I'll send you a PM now. :) I might be able to get some now.

Yeah. :( All I would have to do to make them okay to put in a tank (If I found my own) is boil them, right? For how long? Do I put anything in the water?

I know I can just sit it on my desk, but I'll be getting it before I go, so I can establish it before I leave. It depends on what else comes with the tank, I guess. If there are a lot of decorations and stuff they're giving with it, I'll go for it, probably.

If you go to Walmart, they actually sell 10 gallons for relatively cheap.
I spent $60 on mine at Petsmart, but for $30-40 you can get the same at Walmart.

Dividers would cost roughly about $5 if you do it right C: I had sand so I didn't need the binder covers and I just needed the mesh, whcich was, like pocket change xD

What tanks do you already have? I mean, if you're that desparate you could always sell your existing tanks?
I know. I've seen them, but they mostly have the new LED hood ones now, and I don't want one of those. Petsmart has a 10 gallon kit for $20 that I found, I think. I don't know if it was just on sale or if it's even still there, but hopefully it is.

What are the binder covers for? I thought I could just do the mesh divider.

I already started another thread for that, actually! xD I'm selling my older tanks, gravel, sand, and decorations. I have two 5 gallons (rectangle and hex), multicolored gravel, black sand, marbles (which I might keep as decorations in the 10 gallon), and some other stuff.

Have to agree if the stand comes with it no bad. Depending on where you are located i can keep an eye on my local Craigslist. If your too far it may not be worth the shipping prices. Pm me than
I'll PM you. :)

#8 ·
Here's an option:

Tank kit from Walmart: $38
Pool filter sand/play sand, etc.: $5
Silk plants from craft store (no metal): $5
DIY dividers: $3? maybe.
Silicone: $3
random free rocks (for attaching silk plants to sink or decoration), coffee cups for caves: free

Total cost: ~ $60

#10 ·
I have a ton of plants, if you are interested PM me when you are ready for them and I'll let you know what I have available at that time.

I also have a ton of rocks and driftwood, but they'd make shipping more expensive than just plants a lone.

if that 10 gallon comes with the stand, then it might be worth getting, but IMO, you can just set a kit on your desk at school and it'd be about $10 cheaper...

I agree with going for playsand, it'll be more work on your part, but is much cheaper than gravel, and do your own dividers, $3 total...you may want to get silicone to keep em stuck in place but its not a necessity.

#11 ·
If you go to Walmart, they actually sell 10 gallons for relatively cheap.
I spent $60 on mine at Petsmart, but for $30-40 you can get the same at Walmart.

Dividers would cost roughly about $5 if you do it right C: I had sand so I didn't need the binder covers and I just needed the mesh, whcich was, like pocket change xD

What tanks do you already have? I mean, if you're that desparate you could always sell your existing tanks?

#12 ·
Have to agree if the stand comes with it no bad. Depending on where you are located i can keep an eye on my local Craigslist. If your too far it may not be worth the shipping prices. Pm me than

#15 ·
I would, but I'm not happy with either filter. Plus, I don't have the space for both 5 gallons. A 10 gallon would be best since it doesn't take up much more space that a 5 gallon. And I don't have enough outlets for two hoods, two heaters, and two filters.

I'm trying to sell them so I can put that money towards a 10 gallon and plants.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.