Finally! (Pics to Follow!) - Page 2 - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 11:03 AM
New Member
 
Relic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 208
Looks good. It's my understanding that with the use of potting soil, there is no need for CO2...the carbon is created naturally within the tank. The trick is not to have any surface disruption so the CO2 is not dissipated. I recommend an internal filter or if your filter is adjustable make sure the outflow is below the surface.
Relic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 11:36 AM
Member
 
Bettanewbie60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Coastal Georgia
Posts: 1,737
That looks awesome! I am so excited to get mine going...I am trying not to use any Co2 or ferts in mine...Walstad method I'm hoping. I don't think OFL uses any in hers, but I may be mistaken. So with the filter, do you just take the cartridge out and let it run that way, or do you put something else in the filter area?

*Buddy Blue CT *Beau Bryce VT
*Brady Bliss VT *Bayou Beck OHM
*Benjiro Baha DTHM *Kahuna Kai HM
*Kyoshi Kano Dumbo SD
Bettanewbie60 is offline  
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 11:42 AM
New Member
 
Relic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettanewbie60 View Post
That looks awesome! I am so excited to get mine going...I am trying not to use any Co2 or ferts in mine...Walstad method I'm hoping. I don't think OFL uses any in hers, but I may be mistaken. So with the filter, do you just take the cartridge out and let it run that way, or do you put something else in the filter area?
You can use filters..just don't use activated carbon. you can uses sponges or get some quilt backing from the craft store and use that.
Relic is offline  
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Member
 
Bettanewbie60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Coastal Georgia
Posts: 1,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
You can use filters..just don't use activated carbon. you can uses sponges or get some quilt backing from the craft store and use that.
Thanks! I have heard so many conflicting opinions..and I'm thinking if it is a Walstad set up, it should be only one right? LOL...it's all good.

*Buddy Blue CT *Beau Bryce VT
*Brady Bliss VT *Bayou Beck OHM
*Benjiro Baha DTHM *Kahuna Kai HM
*Kyoshi Kano Dumbo SD
Bettanewbie60 is offline  
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Member
 
starrlamia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
Looks good. It's my understanding that with the use of potting soil, there is no need for CO2...the carbon is created naturally within the tank. The trick is not to have any surface disruption so the CO2 is not dissipated. I recommend an internal filter or if your filter is adjustable make sure the outflow is below the surface.
actually if you want to maximize growth co2 is needed. Your plants will only grow based on what you provide them, with no co2 plants grow much more slowly but will remain healthy. co2 wont be produced in the same quantities by the soil as you would get from a full setup.

The tank looks amazing!
starrlamia is offline  
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 12:52 PM
New Member
 
Relic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrlamia View Post
actually if you want to maximize growth co2 is needed. Your plants will only grow based on what you provide them, with no co2 plants grow much more slowly but will remain healthy. co2 wont be produced in the same quantities by the soil as you would get from a full setup.

The tank looks amazing!
Agreed.
Though...from what I understand a true NPT should be pretty much self sustaining as far as the plant care is concerned?
Relic is offline  
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 12:55 PM
Member
 
starrlamia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
Agreed.
Though...from what I understand a true NPT should be pretty much self sustaining as far as the plant care is concerned?
Yes it's self sustaining but with limits, because of the low amount of nutrients and co2 plant growth is limited. To maximise you would have to go high tech including ferts and co2.
starrlamia is offline  
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 12:56 PM
Member
 
xjenuhfur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SoFla
Posts: 610
So pretty! What are the red plants in there? (:

Sunshine!
"I am not afraid, I was born to do this." -Joan of Arc
Blogger at Hello Wench
xjenuhfur is offline  
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 01:00 PM
New Member
 
Relic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrlamia View Post
Yes it's self sustaining but with limits, because of the low amount of nutrients and co2 plant growth is limited. To maximise you would have to go high tech including ferts and co2.
Makes sense.
I run CO2 in all my planted tanks and use ferts where needed{flourish liquid and flourish root tabs}
I'm getting ready to set up a high pressure system for the big tank. I work for a gas company so I can get everything needed for next to nothing...the CO2 would be free.
Relic is offline  
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 01:05 PM
Member
 
starrlamia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 492
Oh lucky! I would look into dosing more macro ferts though, flourish is good for micro and root tabs are good for root feeders but dosing macros into the water column is good for stems etc. I get dry ferts and it's cheap and they last a long time.
starrlamia is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome