Perfect Tank for Plants? - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
JBosley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 960
Perfect Tank for Plants?

Hey!
So I have a small 3 gallon planted tank, with a small LED light. I REALLY want to plant 2 more smaller tanks for my other boys Could someone link me to a tank at PETSMART (I'm in Canada ) that will have adequate lighting for low-medium lighting plants

The tank must come with a light, as it is near impossible to find good tank lights where I live, and I am on a tight budget....

Nothing larger than 5 gallons please!

R.I.P Dragonfly
JBosley is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,050
Anarchis is good live plants.
ChoclateBetta is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Member
 
LebronTheBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MD
Posts: 5,507
She's looking for TANKS ChoclateBetta. Not plants, I have a 3.5 gallon with LED lights. I'm not sure if it's strong enough, though. This is my tank, I'm still not sure if the lights are strong enough, though. :\

Over hundreds of bettas die in their small, dirty cups each day. Only you can help them live. Research and then save them, today!
LebronTheBetta is offline  
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 12:48 PM
New Member
 
Relic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Anarchis is good live plants.
I prefer potatoes.
Relic is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 12:49 PM
New Member
 
Relic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBosley View Post
Hey!
So I have a small 3 gallon planted tank, with a small LED light. I REALLY want to plant 2 more smaller tanks for my other boys Could someone link me to a tank at PETSMART (I'm in Canada ) that will have adequate lighting for low-medium lighting plants

The tank must come with a light, as it is near impossible to find good tank lights where I live, and I am on a tight budget....

Nothing larger than 5 gallons please!
I like Aqueon mini bow tanks....they scratch pretty easily, just be careful and you'll be fine.
I also like the idea of just buying a small 2-3 gallon glass tank and adding you own stuff. A tank like that you can just buy a clamp on desk light and buy any bulb you want.
Relic is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 01:15 PM
Member
 
kfryman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 2,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
I like Aqueon mini bow tanks....they scratch pretty easily, just be careful and you'll be fine.
I also like the idea of just buying a small 2-3 gallon glass tank and adding you own stuff. A tank like that you can just buy a clamp on desk light and buy any bulb you want.
+1 Buying your own tank and getting a desk light that has a 10 watt bulb over a 2.5 gallon will be moderate light, a 5 gallon with a 15 watt bulb would be low-moderate. You want the bulb to be around 20 inches from the substrate so you are not constantly fighting algae and it still keeps it at moderate light.

I don't recommend the Aqueon Mini bow because of the light placement and fikter placement, the light hovers over the filter creating algae and shade. Also the only place that plants will grow is the middle, cant put them on the left or right side.


15 Gallon NPT
1g no tech bowl in the making
kfryman is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
JBosley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
+1 Buying your own tank and getting a desk light that has a 10 watt bulb over a 2.5 gallon will be moderate light, a 5 gallon with a 15 watt bulb would be low-moderate. You want the bulb to be around 20 inches from the substrate so you are not constantly fighting algae and it still keeps it at moderate light.

I don't recommend the Aqueon Mini bow because of the light placement and fikter placement, the light hovers over the filter creating algae and shade. Also the only place that plants will grow is the middle, cant put them on the left or right side.
Hmmm this sounds like a great idea! Where abouts can you find clamp on desk lights? Walmart...?

R.I.P Dragonfly
JBosley is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 01:23 PM
New Member
 
Relic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBosley View Post
Hmmm this sounds like a great idea! Where abouts can you find clamp on desk lights? Walmart...?
I bought one at wal-mart for around $8..they have several colors to choose from. walk over to the hardware department and you can find all sorts of bulbs for it....just research what kinda bulb you'll need before you go buy one.
Relic is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
JBosley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
I bought one at wal-mart for around $8..they have several colors to choose from. walk over to the hardware department and you can find all sorts of bulbs for it....just research what kinda bulb you'll need before you go buy one.
Yay! Thanks guys. Going to try and find a cheap tank on Kijiji or at Petsmart.

R.I.P Dragonfly
JBosley is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 01:28 PM
Member
 
kfryman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 2,252
I already had my desk light from a while ago, but you can find them at Walmart and maybe shopping stores. Some hardware stores have them as well. If you want to do low cost, I went to my local hardware store and got a 15watt GE 6500k bulb for $7, then you can get one of those heat lamps for reptiles at the hardware store (only difference is that instead of the reflector on the outside being black it is metal) that is like $7.50. I like the look of a desk light more though.


15 Gallon NPT
1g no tech bowl in the making
kfryman is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome