How to: Natural Planted tank - Page 56 - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Like Tree23Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #551 of 662 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 11:42 PM
Member
 
FishyFishy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central FL
Posts: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlgarveblueVT View Post
@Oldfish;ady

I would like to do this for my communal tank with platies, but in my 10gal tank I understand up put 1.5 inch of soil and then cap and then hardscape, but how does the poo and other byproduct get to the plants root if the earth is covered by cap and hard scape.

My platies are pooing machines and I woul have thought that it would be better just to have earth and nothing else then the poo can fert. the earth and plants???
snails and shrimps. They are a vital part of your planted tank. Malaysian Trumpet Snails are a favorite among the planted community. It is a self-control population and will not over populate unless you are over feeding.
Just about any shrimp will do for your tank.

Brace Yourself.....Winter Is Coming
75 gallon Angel Paradise Updates:http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...gallon-220330/
Fluval Spec V Steel crowntail betta, 3 zebra danios,
Fluval Spec V - unnamed dumbo plaket betta, 3 zebra danios
FishyFishy89 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #552 of 662 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 03:07 AM
Member
 
AlgarveblueVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Algarve- Portugal
Posts: 1,049
Question planted tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
snails and shrimps. They are a vital part of your planted tank. Malaysian Trumpet Snails are a favorite among the planted community. It is a self-control population and will not over populate unless you are over feeding.
Just about any shrimp will do for your tank.
I see now , but i was worried that the snail would eat all my plants?

Betta home:
2.5gal fish bowl
1 juve.VT
hydor nano 50W heater
Anubias
substrate:gravel
R.I.P: crowntail
____________________________

Tank :38L(dim. 50cmx30cmx25cm) 10Usgal
5 neons(juviniles)
1 danios
3 male platy
UV filter

plants

_______________________

location:Algarve- Portugal
AlgarveblueVT is offline  
post #553 of 662 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 04:59 AM
Member
 
Piyoteru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 211
The Trumpet Snail won't eat your plants, they'll go through whatever collects on the substrate and will burrow through it. I really want some myself, but it's hard to get where I am- so I have to go with similar native species.
Piyoteru is offline  
post #554 of 662 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 05:10 AM
Member
 
AlgarveblueVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Algarve- Portugal
Posts: 1,049
Question planted tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyoteru View Post
The Trumpet Snail won't eat your plants, they'll go through whatever collects on the substrate and will burrow through it. I really want some myself, but it's hard to get where I am- so I have to go with similar native species.
I am only able to get normal aquatic snails, here in Portugal they dont have the stock like in the US or other countries.

Betta home:
2.5gal fish bowl
1 juve.VT
hydor nano 50W heater
Anubias
substrate:gravel
R.I.P: crowntail
____________________________

Tank :38L(dim. 50cmx30cmx25cm) 10Usgal
5 neons(juviniles)
1 danios
3 male platy
UV filter

plants

_______________________

location:Algarve- Portugal
AlgarveblueVT is offline  
post #555 of 662 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 01:09 PM
Member
 
FishyFishy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central FL
Posts: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlgarveblueVT View Post
I see now , but i was worried that the snail would eat all my plants?
They won't eat your plants. They'll only eat whatever is dying, dead or decaying. They also help keep my plants clean whenever the fish do not.
AlgarveblueVT likes this.

Brace Yourself.....Winter Is Coming
75 gallon Angel Paradise Updates:http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...gallon-220330/
Fluval Spec V Steel crowntail betta, 3 zebra danios,
Fluval Spec V - unnamed dumbo plaket betta, 3 zebra danios
FishyFishy89 is offline  
post #556 of 662 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 01:19 PM
Member
 
TheAnimaLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 123
This is very helpful for me

Try to learn and love a new creature each day
(\ (\
( ^_^)
(_(")(")
TheAnimaLover is offline  
post #557 of 662 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 06:54 AM
Member
 
AlgarveblueVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Algarve- Portugal
Posts: 1,049
Question planted setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
They won't eat your plants. They'll only eat whatever is dying, dead or decaying. They also help keep my plants clean whenever the fish do not.
Just got my snails which are not very active at the mo-
but just looked them up and they are 'Ruby Nerite snails'

as I say they are not very active( I have bought 2)
maybe i should get some more.

Betta home:
2.5gal fish bowl
1 juve.VT
hydor nano 50W heater
Anubias
substrate:gravel
R.I.P: crowntail
____________________________

Tank :38L(dim. 50cmx30cmx25cm) 10Usgal
5 neons(juviniles)
1 danios
3 male platy
UV filter

plants

_______________________

location:Algarve- Portugal
AlgarveblueVT is offline  
post #558 of 662 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 12:02 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 107
How?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrofloria View Post
here's ,my current planted betta tank
How are you currently getting your plants that healthy? I am having such a hard time with mine. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong?
myprince is offline  
post #559 of 662 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 03:36 PM
Member
 
kman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlgarveblueVT View Post
Just got my snails which are not very active at the mo-
but just looked them up and they are 'Ruby Nerite snails'

as I say they are not very active( I have bought 2)
maybe i should get some more.
Nerite snails are not very active; that's normal for them. They cruise around slowly (once they feel comfortable in a new tank), eating algae. I love them and have them in all my tanks.

But they're also not burrowing snails. You want the MTS snails referenced above, as they're the ones that dig down into the substrate to aerate the soil and mix things down past the cap. Nothing wrong with Nerites, they're great and the zebra nerites are very pretty, but they won't mix up your soil like the MTS will.
FishyFishy89 likes this.
kman is offline  
post #560 of 662 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 05:38 AM
Member
 
AlgarveblueVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Algarve- Portugal
Posts: 1,049
Question planted tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
Nerite snails are not very active; that's normal for them. They cruise around slowly (once they feel comfortable in a new tank), eating algae. I love them and have them in all my tanks.

But they're also not burrowing snails. You want the MTS snails referenced above, as they're the ones that dig down into the substrate to aerate the soil and mix things down past the cap. Nothing wrong with Nerites, they're great and the zebra nerites are very pretty, but they won't mix up your soil like the MTS will.

the shop has got in some small Mexican shrimp.

Betta home:
2.5gal fish bowl
1 juve.VT
hydor nano 50W heater
Anubias
substrate:gravel
R.I.P: crowntail
____________________________

Tank :38L(dim. 50cmx30cmx25cm) 10Usgal
5 neons(juviniles)
1 danios
3 male platy
UV filter

plants

_______________________

location:Algarve- Portugal
AlgarveblueVT is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NPT (natural planted tank) 55gal Oldfishlady Planted Betta Tanks 107 08-14-2012 09:48 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome