Ideas for a tall tank - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Showbiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 26
Ideas for a tall tank

Hi! I have a 20 gallon tall tank (which I believe is about 16 inches tall). I've started a sorority in it, along with some tetras. I'd love to have a very fully planted aquarium for the sorority, but I don't really know where to start.

So far, I have about 10-15 anacharis plants but the tallest is only about a foot tall, one moss ball, one anubias attached to a decoration, and one java fern attached to another decoration. What are some tall, easy to grow plants? My tank just feels so sparse right now.

Oh and also, we were hit bad by Hurricane Sandy and our power was out for two weeks. . . I didn't lose any plants but some of the anacharis turned a very dark brown. I thought they were dead but now they have some new growth? Is it some algae or something then?
Showbiz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 02:01 AM
ao
Member
 
ao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,440
jungle val? :)
ao is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 02:22 PM
Member
 
redchigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Alabama
Posts: 88
On your anarchis, let it be.

Do you fertilise?

Okay, plants for tall tanks you say? I think drawing the eye vertically is always good with taller tanks, so..

Foreground: Grasslikeplant, perhaps dwarf sag.
middleground: Java Fern var. 'narrow leaf' or 'needle leaf', crypt wendtii, flame or willow moss, crinum calastratum (sp?), dwarf lily, dwarf lotus.
Background: Cryptocoryne Spiralis, Cryptocoryne Retrospiralis, Echinodoris var 'vesuvious', Hygrophila augustofolia, vallisnera (but they get tall), crinum sp, aponogeton sp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christople View Post
^^ genius
__________________

Soil Substrates Guide:
Part 1
--------- Part 2

_____________________
redchigh is offline  
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 09:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 350
Hi! I have a 20 tall too, well techincally a 22 cube but I had a similar problem with plants, with stocking it too. lol Right now I have 2 snails, an apple and a nerite and a unknown type of baby snail I found in my tank yesterday! And a temporary baby clown loach but my fiance is getting me a 50 gallon for him and a few more loaches.

As for plants I have 2 aponogetons, some type of wendii, red I think, water wisteria[floating], Anarchis[floating] and my favorite, RED LILY!
I highly reccommend you get some lily bulbs for a 20 high, they are awesome and once they start sprouting they grow every day.

This is my lily on November 17th
http://i47.tinypic.com/2d2erkw.jpg


And this one is from just now





And +1 to Aokashi on the Jungle Val!



P.s Once I get the 50 gallon I think I might make this into a sorority too but with a bunch of snails :3

Ciroc aka Sir rocky

I have an obsession.....
I love animals...
ItsKourtneyYoC8 is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 09:45 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 42
If you don't want to get big into tech (high lights / CO2 / ferts) I'd recommend stems like Anacharis or Wisteria. Wisteria will grow like mad and sucks up tons of ammonia in the process. Seriously, you can't NOT grow wisteria. I had a little torn off piece of leaf (just the tip) that got stuck behind my filter, it sprouted roots and started growing a whole new plant. It's crazy.
RobMc is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Showbiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
jungle val? :)
Ooh, I just looked it up and that looks great! I'll definitely be ordering some of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redchigh View Post
On your anarchis, let it be.

Do you fertilise?

Okay, plants for tall tanks you say? I think drawing the eye vertically is always good with taller tanks, so..

Foreground: Grasslikeplant, perhaps dwarf sag.
middleground: Java Fern var. 'narrow leaf' or 'needle leaf', crypt wendtii, flame or willow moss, crinum calastratum (sp?), dwarf lily, dwarf lotus.
Background: Cryptocoryne Spiralis, Cryptocoryne Retrospiralis, Echinodoris var 'vesuvious', Hygrophila augustofolia, vallisnera (but they get tall), crinum sp, aponogeton sp.
I haven't had a chance to go to a petstore to pick up some fertilizer, so no I don't. I also wasn't sure if the anacharis needed root tabs or if it could use liquid fertilizer (which I'd prefer to use because it looks easier). Next time I go I'll pick some up, along with a new light that's a bit better. (the light I'm currently using came with my tank a decade ago)

Thank you so much for that list! Some of those are exactly what I'm looking for, but they aren't anything I've seen locally so I'll have to order online. Do you have any experience with ordering live plants from ebay? I found some of those plants there and they were pretty inexpensive. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsKourtneyYoC8 View Post
Hi! I have a 20 tall too, well techincally a 22 cube but I had a similar problem with plants, with stocking it too. lol Right now I have 2 snails, an apple and a nerite and a unknown type of baby snail I found in my tank yesterday! And a temporary baby clown loach but my fiance is getting me a 50 gallon for him and a few more loaches.

As for plants I have 2 aponogetons, some type of wendii, red I think, water wisteria[floating], Anarchis[floating] and my favorite, RED LILY!
I highly reccommend you get some lily bulbs for a 20 high, they are awesome and once they start sprouting they grow every day.

This is my lily on November 17th
http://i47.tinypic.com/2d2erkw.jpg


And this one is from just now





And +1 to Aokashi on the Jungle Val!



P.s Once I get the 50 gallon I think I might make this into a sorority too but with a bunch of snails :3
Oh wow, that looks so pretty! I'll try to get some of that too, if it grows fast that would be perfect too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMc View Post
If you don't want to get big into tech (high lights / CO2 / ferts) I'd recommend stems like Anacharis or Wisteria. Wisteria will grow like mad and sucks up tons of ammonia in the process. Seriously, you can't NOT grow wisteria. I had a little torn off piece of leaf (just the tip) that got stuck behind my filter, it sprouted roots and started growing a whole new plant. It's crazy.
I have the exact opposite of a green thumb, so impossible-to-kill would be perfect for me lol! All of my anacharis survived 12 days of no electricity with limited sunlight, which is pretty impressive!
Showbiz is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 10:32 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Showbiz View Post
Ooh, I just looked it up and that looks great! I'll definitely be ordering some of that.



I haven't had a chance to go to a petstore to pick up some fertilizer, so no I don't. I also wasn't sure if the anacharis needed root tabs or if it could use liquid fertilizer (which I'd prefer to use because it looks easier). Next time I go I'll pick some up, along with a new light that's a bit better. (the light I'm currently using came with my tank a decade ago)

Thank you so much for that list! Some of those are exactly what I'm looking for, but they aren't anything I've seen locally so I'll have to order online. Do you have any experience with ordering live plants from ebay? I found some of those plants there and they were pretty inexpensive. . .



Oh wow, that looks so pretty! I'll try to get some of that too, if it grows fast that would be perfect too.



I have the exact opposite of a green thumb, so impossible-to-kill would be perfect for me lol! All of my anacharis survived 12 days of no electricity with limited sunlight, which is pretty impressive!
Mine came with those aponogeton bulbs you get from walmart and they also have them and tube plant at petsmart but be choosy with what you get out of the tubes because some of them aren't aquatic, for example, I got a peacock fern and brought hi, was excited about putting it in the tank and then someone told me it isn't aquatic so I did some research and they were right -.-

Ciroc aka Sir rocky

I have an obsession.....
I love animals...
ItsKourtneyYoC8 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome