I know nothing about plants :p - Page 2 - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 12:48 AM
Member
 
Fishybitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 767
I found this light, I was thinking about trying it myself.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo
Fishybitty is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 12:59 AM
Member
 
aemaki09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Central, OH
Posts: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
What is a stem vs a rooted plant? Are all those hardy and easy to keep in 2watt per gallon lighting?
I always hear good things about anubias.
Stem is a "bunch" plant, its just a stem with leaves, no root system, they are normally tied together with lead weights, you plant them like you would a any other plant, just bury the base in the soil...I just prefer them because they grow faster.
rooted actually has a root system like terrestrial plants do. They dont come un-done very easily, but they dont grow like stems.
I think my preferance towards stems is just because I have so many tanks that I like trimming, but also because the faster they grow the better they help water quality.

All of the ones suggested are hardy. I'm pretty much a beginner with plants too, and these are all what worked for me so far.
2 watts per gallon is perfect for them.
I only have 1 anubias nana petit in my tank, but its really hardy, I've got java and lace java fern in the same tank, anubias does best, regular java comes in second, and the lace isnt doing that great, but I think it might be because its baby plants.

You could also try moss balls, those require like no care other than a squeeze in tank water once in a while and rolling to a different side during a water change.

Anyways. I think that petco and petsmart will sell most of the ones I suggested

10 HM, 3 HMPK, 5 HMPK fry
8 German Blue Ram, 5 Green Dragon BNP, 4 Albino BNP, 4 Calico BNP, 6 Red BNP, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 2 ADF, 7 Peppered Cories, & 6 Tiger Endlers + Fry
12 full time tanks, 4 NPT, 6 QT/Breeders
Member IBC
aemaki09 is offline  
post #13 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 01:00 AM
Member
 
aemaki09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Central, OH
Posts: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishybitty View Post
that light could definitely work, but its a little over priced, you can get the aquarimax 10 watt lights at walmart in 6500k for like $3.

EDIT:: For some reason I've been saying aquarimax, when I really meant aquaculture this entire time lol

10 HM, 3 HMPK, 5 HMPK fry
8 German Blue Ram, 5 Green Dragon BNP, 4 Albino BNP, 4 Calico BNP, 6 Red BNP, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 2 ADF, 7 Peppered Cories, & 6 Tiger Endlers + Fry
12 full time tanks, 4 NPT, 6 QT/Breeders
Member IBC

Last edited by aemaki09; 01-03-2013 at 01:05 AM.
aemaki09 is offline  
post #14 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 01:12 AM
Member
 
Fishybitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
that light could definitely work, but its a little over priced, you can get the aquarimax 10 watt lights at walmart in 6500k for like $3.

EDIT:: For some reason I've been saying aquarimax, when I really meant aquaculture this entire time lol

I actually had that bulb from walmart. Mine costed $5.23. It only lasted me 1 month. Duh me though I didn't keep my receipt for the warranty. I just like Petsmart because the one by me, their customer service is awesome. If you have any problems they help you no matter what.
Fishybitty is offline  
post #15 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 01:17 AM
Member
 
aemaki09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Central, OH
Posts: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishybitty View Post
I actually had that bulb from walmart. Mine costed $5.23. It only lasted me 1 month. Duh me though I didn't keep my receipt for the warranty. I just like Petsmart because the one by me, their customer service is awesome. If you have any problems they help you no matter what.

yeah that makes sense, lol if I had that problem with mine I probably wouldnt buy them again either, but they work just fine and I'm one to search for the best deals I can find, I hate spending money lol.

but yeah, if you dont want the walmart brand and decide against petsmart, even though they sound awesome, you can find other good bulbs at home improvement stores like home depot, lowes, menards, etc for cheaper I'm sure...you just need to look for 6500k at around 2watt/gallon

10 HM, 3 HMPK, 5 HMPK fry
8 German Blue Ram, 5 Green Dragon BNP, 4 Albino BNP, 4 Calico BNP, 6 Red BNP, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 2 ADF, 7 Peppered Cories, & 6 Tiger Endlers + Fry
12 full time tanks, 4 NPT, 6 QT/Breeders
Member IBC
aemaki09 is offline  
post #16 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 02:45 AM
Member
 
Fishybitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
yeah that makes sense, lol if I had that problem with mine I probably wouldnt buy them again either, but they work just fine and I'm one to search for the best deals I can find, I hate spending money lol.

but yeah, if you dont want the walmart brand and decide against petsmart, even though they sound awesome, you can find other good bulbs at home improvement stores like home depot, lowes, menards, etc for cheaper I'm sure...you just need to look for 6500k at around 2watt/gallon

I hear you. I just spent like $36 on live plants. Eep! I always look for the
"outdoor" to make sure but I can never find any. I can only use a 15 watt and it has to be thin.
Fishybitty is offline  
post #17 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 08:22 AM
New Member
 
rangerserena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: jersey city,nj
Posts: 60
What would you suggest for a 50 gal tank?, by the way im just as new and lost as the thread starter when it comes to liveplants. Only plant i know about is moss balls cause i keep reading that bettas love moss balls. Are there any that i dont have to put soil in the tank? Like just plant in the gravel or i can add in after ive already established my tank

Last edited by rangerserena; 01-03-2013 at 08:28 AM.
rangerserena is offline  
post #18 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
AyalaCookiejar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
Stem is a "bunch" plant, its just a stem with leaves, no root system, they are normally tied together with lead weights, you plant them like you would a any other plant, just bury the base in the soil...I just prefer them because they grow faster.
rooted actually has a root system like terrestrial plants do. They dont come un-done very easily, but they dont grow like stems.
I think my preferance towards stems is just because I have so many tanks that I like trimming, but also because the faster they grow the better they help water quality.

All of the ones suggested are hardy. I'm pretty much a beginner with plants too, and these are all what worked for me so far.
2 watts per gallon is perfect for them.
I only have 1 anubias nana petit in my tank, but its really hardy, I've got java and lace java fern in the same tank, anubias does best, regular java comes in second, and the lace isnt doing that great, but I think it might be because its baby plants.

You could also try moss balls, those require like no care other than a squeeze in tank water once in a while and rolling to a different side during a water change.

Anyways. I think that petco and petsmart will sell most of the ones I suggested
What kinds can be trimmed and transferred to other tanks? And wouldn't a lead weight be dangerous 0.0

Veyron Sprite Ayala
S.I.P. Okami, Bahari, Lotus, Mercy, Daihatsu, Ascari, Kuraokami, DaBaDee, Zenvo, & Stella <3
AyalaCookiejar is offline  
post #19 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 10:57 AM
Member
 
aemaki09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Central, OH
Posts: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerserena View Post
What would you suggest for a 50 gal tank?, by the way im just as new and lost as the thread starter when it comes to liveplants. Only plant i know about is moss balls cause i keep reading that bettas love moss balls. Are there any that i dont have to put soil in the tank? Like just plant in the gravel or i can add in after ive already established my tank

I'm going to suggest the same plants. I'd definintely add a few pieces of driftwood and get some java moss, anubias, and java fern to tie to it. Try stem plants first then move to rooted like amazon sword or crypts.
You dont have to put soil in the tank unless you want to make an NPT, plants will do fine in practically any substrate. All my plants are in gravel for now.

10 HM, 3 HMPK, 5 HMPK fry
8 German Blue Ram, 5 Green Dragon BNP, 4 Albino BNP, 4 Calico BNP, 6 Red BNP, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 2 ADF, 7 Peppered Cories, & 6 Tiger Endlers + Fry
12 full time tanks, 4 NPT, 6 QT/Breeders
Member IBC
aemaki09 is offline  
post #20 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Member
 
aemaki09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Central, OH
Posts: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
What kinds can be trimmed and transferred to other tanks? And wouldn't a lead weight be dangerous 0.0

haha you take the lead weight off when you plant them, people just put them on to help them stay together better in the mail, and so that you can just throw them in the water to QT without messing with like 10 stems of something you only mess with 1 big bulk of them.

Pretty much all stem plants are the ones you can trim and transfere

10 HM, 3 HMPK, 5 HMPK fry
8 German Blue Ram, 5 Green Dragon BNP, 4 Albino BNP, 4 Calico BNP, 6 Red BNP, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 2 ADF, 7 Peppered Cories, & 6 Tiger Endlers + Fry
12 full time tanks, 4 NPT, 6 QT/Breeders
Member IBC
aemaki09 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome