I know nothing about plants :p - Page 5 - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 02:29 PM
New Member
 
rangerserena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: jersey city,nj
Posts: 60
hey can anyone tell me if this looks like a reputable plant seller?
http://stores.ebay.com/AquaticMagic?_rdc=1
rangerserena is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 02:41 PM
Member
 
aemaki09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Central, OH
Posts: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerserena View Post
hey can anyone tell me if this looks like a reputable plant seller?
http://stores.ebay.com/AquaticMagic?_rdc=1

looks legit.

A good seller I always buy from is mikeswetpets on aquabid.com
He's got reasonable prices and doesnt run up your prices with shipping like most sellers do.

10 HM, 3 HMPK, 5 HMPK fry
8 German Blue Ram, 5 Green Dragon BNP, 4 Albino BNP, 4 Calico BNP, 6 Red BNP, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 2 ADF, 7 Peppered Cories, & 6 Tiger Endlers + Fry
12 full time tanks, 4 NPT, 6 QT/Breeders
Member IBC
aemaki09 is offline  
post #43 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 02:43 PM
Member
 
mushumouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: chicago, il
Posts: 194
i bought some little marimos from them a few weeks ago and they're in the mail... i did a lot of googling, and aggregate opinion is apparently they are a reputable seller in that they're very good about shipping what you buy, and replacing dead plants when they arrive, but possibly a little shady in that a couple of the plants/mosses they sell may not be "true" aquatic plants, just air plants that have been submersed (and slowly die underwater). so i would make sure to google the exact plant you want to buy by its scientific name before you make your purchase, and make sure other people are successfully growing it in aquariums.
mushumouse is offline  
post #44 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 03:07 PM
Member
 
mushumouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: chicago, il
Posts: 194
a few days ago i should say. i hope it doesn't take weeks!
mushumouse is offline  
post #45 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 03:19 PM
Member
 
aemaki09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Central, OH
Posts: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushumouse View Post
i bought some little marimos from them a few weeks ago and they're in the mail... i did a lot of googling, and aggregate opinion is apparently they are a reputable seller in that they're very good about shipping what you buy, and replacing dead plants when they arrive, but possibly a little shady in that a couple of the plants/mosses they sell may not be "true" aquatic plants, just air plants that have been submersed (and slowly die underwater). so i would make sure to google the exact plant you want to buy by its scientific name before you make your purchase, and make sure other people are successfully growing it in aquariums.
Most places do that. The plants can be emerged but not submerged. Meaning they are meant for vivariums and terrariums. You can also use them as filter plants. A good way to tell if it shouldn't be completely submerged is if it says varegiated or is a bamboo.

10 HM, 3 HMPK, 5 HMPK fry
8 German Blue Ram, 5 Green Dragon BNP, 4 Albino BNP, 4 Calico BNP, 6 Red BNP, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 2 ADF, 7 Peppered Cories, & 6 Tiger Endlers + Fry
12 full time tanks, 4 NPT, 6 QT/Breeders
Member IBC
aemaki09 is offline  
post #46 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 06:42 PM
New Member
 
rangerserena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: jersey city,nj
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushumouse View Post
i bought some little marimos from them a few weeks ago and they're in the mail... i did a lot of googling, and aggregate opinion is apparently they are a reputable seller in that they're very good about shipping what you buy, and replacing dead plants when they arrive, but possibly a little shady in that a couple of the plants/mosses they sell may not be "true" aquatic plants, just air plants that have been submersed (and slowly die underwater). so i would make sure to google the exact plant you want to buy by its scientific name before you make your purchase, and make sure other people are successfully growing it in aquariums.
You made your purchase from this particulare seller? How long ago was that?
My main concern is shipping time cause i want to establish my tank this week so it can cycle all together
rangerserena is offline  
post #47 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 07:56 PM
New Member
 
rangerserena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: jersey city,nj
Posts: 60
How many plants would y'all suggest for a 50 gal tank? I want some good coverage and some to grow on driftwood. The hood for our tank take the long florencent bulbs but i dont know what brightness to get for plant and fish
rangerserena is offline  
post #48 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 12:30 AM
Member
 
mushumouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: chicago, il
Posts: 194
yes, they are a huge seller on both ebay and aquabid. looking at my e-mail i placed my order december 31, and the seller was projecting they might get here january 10-14. not bad for overseas shipping if they make it! but i don't think it would get to you in a week. i've been going around to my local pet stores one by one using the yelp app and picking up most of my plants and equipment locally, i am also new to this. i've read good things about their shipping in general, but yeah, i would expect it to take more time than that. aemaki, the issue i was reading about was that some people believed that the moss they were selling as submersible would only thrive emerged, one of their species of fissiddens (sp?) that looked really cool. i don't know if they were right or wrong, but it did make me cautious, there's no harm in double checking what the seller is telling you! :)
mushumouse is offline  
post #49 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 12:56 AM
Member
 
aemaki09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Central, OH
Posts: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerserena View Post
How many plants would y'all suggest for a 50 gal tank? I want some good coverage and some to grow on driftwood. The hood for our tank take the long florencent bulbs but i dont know what brightness to get for plant and fish

the amount of plants is something I'd check with oldfishlady about. the largest tank I have right now is a 26. I have about 6 different bunches of different species stem plants and like 6 rooted plants and it doesnt look very dense at all, so double or more?
you need to get 2 watts per gallon, so 100w total, minimum, rated for 6500k in spectrum. you can get away with 5000-10000k, but 6500 is the most benificial to plant growth.

10 HM, 3 HMPK, 5 HMPK fry
8 German Blue Ram, 5 Green Dragon BNP, 4 Albino BNP, 4 Calico BNP, 6 Red BNP, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 2 ADF, 7 Peppered Cories, & 6 Tiger Endlers + Fry
12 full time tanks, 4 NPT, 6 QT/Breeders
Member IBC
aemaki09 is offline  
post #50 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 01:00 AM
Member
 
aemaki09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Central, OH
Posts: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushumouse View Post
yes, they are a huge seller on both ebay and aquabid. looking at my e-mail i placed my order december 31, and the seller was projecting they might get here january 10-14. not bad for overseas shipping if they make it! but i don't think it would get to you in a week. i've been going around to my local pet stores one by one using the yelp app and picking up most of my plants and equipment locally, i am also new to this. i've read good things about their shipping in general, but yeah, i would expect it to take more time than that. aemaki, the issue i was reading about was that some people believed that the moss they were selling as submersible would only thrive emerged, one of their species of fissiddens (sp?) that looked really cool. i don't know if they were right or wrong, but it did make me cautious, there's no harm in double checking what the seller is telling you! :)

there are people out there that will sell moss balls as marimo, that arent really marimo. I dont remember what moss it is exactly, but it doesnt actually grow in a ball like marimo does and when the sellers roll them it causes the insides to eventually rot. You have to go through a reputable seller for the balls. BUT since the seller has mostly positive reviews I dont think that is the case.

Also, just letting you know for future referance, that it's illegal to import certain (if not all) plants without going through a transhipper. Some sellers will send them to you without bothering about the transhipper just to make it cheaper and faster for you, and they make more money. BUT if those plants were to get caught in customs you would be the one geting in trouble for them since the seller isnt a US resident.
Be careful about importing in the future

10 HM, 3 HMPK, 5 HMPK fry
8 German Blue Ram, 5 Green Dragon BNP, 4 Albino BNP, 4 Calico BNP, 6 Red BNP, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 2 ADF, 7 Peppered Cories, & 6 Tiger Endlers + Fry
12 full time tanks, 4 NPT, 6 QT/Breeders
Member IBC
aemaki09 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome