Two Existing Lighting Setups, Need Help Choosing (and then upgrading) - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 67
Two Existing Lighting Setups, Need Help Choosing (and then upgrading)

So I have been using the following setup with my tank. It is 10 gallon, minimally planted (about to be significantly planted I will have plants arriving over the next week and eventually from US and Malaysia), 20 inches long and 11/12 inches wide. It is the following, and has a 60W bulb light in the hood and a 14W CFL in the red clamp. It is useful as it keeps my tank at the proper temperature. The heater cannot keep up without their help, and the tank dips from 81 to as low as 76 degrees on the coldest of nights when I give him lights out for bed time, so a potential light source that can provide heat 24/7 while giving my betta the ability to comfortably rest would be awesome.

The other option which I discovered yesterday is this! Both the current bulbs are 7800k with a CRI of 11. They are 2 foot long tubes.

So I have 3 questions

1. Which is the best current option for my planted 10 gallon tank (I have lots of plants incoming via mail and would like my setup optimal when they arrive)
2. What would the best option be for new lighting (I'm assuming either upgrading both CFLs or at least 1 tube)
3. What would the best price/performance upgrade be (I am on a budget-ish although I'd still like to see at 2. what the best choice is so I can decide what to buy)

Thanks so much. Please let me know if you need additional information

Last edited by Desensitizer; 01-08-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Desensitizer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 02:43 PM
MSG
Member
 
MSG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,250
  • Is that a 50W Aqueon Heater?
  • No hood?
  • What is the Kelvin rating of the CFL bulb in the red clamp?
  • Do you have a automated timer to plug your lights into?
  • Is your tank really kept in that location in between your kitchen sink & stove?
  • What is the complete list of plants that are arriving?
  • Is your anubias planted into your turqouise colored gravel?
  • Are you planning to keep that gravel?
  • How old are the 2 = 24" Lights Of America 17W Grow Sticks?

You might want to lower the water level, but I don't think that's an option with your Aqueon Quietflow 10.

Get some sort of glass lid to cover the top of your tank or you might lose the betta when he decides to leap out of the tank.
MSG is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
  • Is that a 50W Aqueon Heater?
  • No hood?
  • What is the Kelvin rating of the CFL bulb in the red clamp?
  • Do you have a automated timer to plug your lights into?
  • Is your tank really kept in that location in between your kitchen sink & stove?
  • What is the complete list of plants that are arriving?
  • Is your anubias planted into your turqouise colored gravel?
  • Are you planning to keep that gravel?
  • How old are the 2 = 24" Lights Of America 17W Grow Sticks?

You might want to lower the water level, but I don't think that's an option with your Aqueon Quietflow 10.

Get some sort of glass lid to cover the top of your tank or you might lose the betta when he decides to leap out of the tank.
I've been meaning to get a hood. The idea scares me, and I know every day is a risk. I was waiting to get one until I have finalized what my lighting situation will be.
It is between a sink and stove but it is our downstairs kitchen which is unused. only contact is people walking through it to get to the laundry room and me attending to Admiral Bubblesworth. It provides the quickest possible water changing, an ideal set up location, a calm place that I can keep things undisturbed for a long period of time, etc.
I do not have an automatic timer. I should invest in one.
I was intending on keeping the gravel, but if that is not an option then I will ditch it. I'm very open to changes.
I have no notion of age of the sticks, but I am impressed that you know that they are lights of america. I am pretty sure they saw minimal use in a plant project of my brothers.
It is not an Anubias, it is a Peace Lilly. I have had mixed messages about it's ability to survive underwater, but I want at least one plant in the aquarium (I do not care if it dies all that much.
The Aqueon can potentially be exchanged for a Quietflow 25. It kind of needs higher water level to help disrupt the output, but the output is at a point where I only turn it on occasionally to help circulate heat/medications (15 mins ish a day) because he is currently healing and there is no filter atm). I should be able to resolve these flow issues once some of the aquatic plants arrive.
The bulb information is limited to 120V 60HZ 14W .2A unfortunately.
My current list is Anacharis, Echinodorus amazonicus, Cabomba caroliniana, Java Moss. I intend on purchasing other species, and getting rid of some of the faster growing stuff like the Cabomba and maybe even the Java Moss once the tank is more populated (unless I successfully sell it on Ebay which I may start doing once it grows like crazy)

Last edited by Desensitizer; 01-08-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Desensitizer is offline  
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desensitizer View Post
I've been meaning to get a hood. The idea scares me, and I know every day is a risk. I was waiting to get one until I have finalized what my lighting situation will be.
It is between a sink and stove but it is our downstairs kitchen which is unused. only contact is people walking through it to get to the laundry room and me attending to Admiral Bubblesworth. It provides the quickest possible water changing, an ideal set up location, a calm place that I can keep things undisturbed for a long period of time, etc.
I do not have an automatic timer. I should invest in one.
I was intending on keeping the gravel, but if that is not an option then I will ditch it. I'm very open to changes.
I have no notion of age of the sticks, but I am impressed that you know that they are lights of america. I am pretty sure they saw minimal use in a plant project of my brothers.
It is not an Anubias, it is a Peace Lilly. I have had mixed messages about it's ability to survive underwater, but I want at least one plant in the aquarium (I do not care if it dies all that much.
The Aqueon can potentially be exchanged for a Quietflow 25. It kind of needs higher water level to help disrupt the output, but the output is at a point where I only turn it on occasionally to help circulate heat/medications (15 mins ish a day) because he is currently healing and there is no filter atm). I should be able to resolve these flow issues once some of the aquatic plants arrive.
The bulb information is limited to 120V 60HZ 14W .2A unfortunately.
My current list is Anacharis, Echinodorus amazonicus, Cabomba caroliniana, Java Moss. I intend on purchasing other species, and getting rid of some of the faster growing stuff like the Cabomba and maybe even the Java Moss once the tank is more populated (unless I successfully sell it on Ebay which I may start doing once it grows like crazy)
Anyone have any thoughts? The Java Moss and Potentially something else are going to be here today
Desensitizer is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 67
So I have Java moss and Cabomba Caroliniana inside. I made a cover so the fish cannot escape, and put a calming aquascape that was greenish on 3 of the 4 sides of his tank. The 4th looks out into a room with the lights closed. I had to switch the CFL to the main light because with the closer distance to the water I think it was too bright/warm for the betta. Any thoughts would be appreciated, the escaping/betta stress/light safety was fixed.
Here is the bulb coming in the mail
http://www.ebay.com/itm/13W-T-2-Supe...item416434bed9
Desensitizer is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 09:36 PM
MSG
Member
 
MSG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,250
Can't believe you paid $6 for 1 bulb. You can get those CFL's for $1-$2 each if you get a 3-4 pack of them at your local home improvement store.

Your cabomba plant looks dead to me. That is not a good shade of brown.

Your other harvested plant looks like cilantro. Very healthy. I would treat the plant because it can harbor parasites/insect eggs in the stems.
MSG is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
Can't believe you paid $6 for 1 bulb. You can get those CFL's for $1-$2 each if you get a 3-4 pack of them at your local home improvement store.

Your cabomba plant looks dead to me. That is not a good shade of brown.

Your other harvested plant looks like cilantro. Very healthy. I would treat the plant because it can harbor parasites/insect eggs in the stems.
I asked them and they were like $8 a bulb (but I live in a high-income area). I don't think they are cilantro simply because the leaves never grew big enough. I prolly shuda gone home depot or something.
Desensitizer is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 08:18 PM
MSG
Member
 
MSG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,250
I was totally joking about it being cilantro.

Whatever it is, I would grab some more before the water freezes over. After you clean the plants & dip them in a sanitizing solution, place them in the back of your tank.

Most of the ponds around here are frozen now.

When you call the stores, I find the employee that answer usually won't put too much effort into checking out their inventory.

My neighborhood is pretty upscale too, but even the small hardware stores don't charge more than $4-$5 for a CFL bulb.

If they were $8, I would have checked all the other stores before ordering online because I'm in the market for at least 4 NEW light bulbs. The ones I'm currently using I think have exceeded the 12 months in service.

Make sure whatever light you're using now is on for AT least 10 hours a day for the first 2 weeks. Increase/decrease the duration of the light if you notice algae issues.

I still have no idea what those plants are, but I don't think it's watercress.

Here's what a patch of watercress from a stream in Wisconsin looks like.

MSG is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 11:02 AM
Member
 
efg321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Baltimore,Md.
Posts: 157
Have you gone to a hood yet and how are the plants doing?
efg321 is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 05:30 AM
ao
Member
 
ao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,440
look up the hydrcotyle species in relation to the cilantro likr plant, especially h. tripartita.

i cant see the photos of the cabomba or cilantro, so just a suggestion for id
ao is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome