1.5 litre Jar
Well, today I embarked on the challenge to create a mini-planted tank, in an old coffee jar. This is the jar my first rescue, Apollo, was given to me in. It is about 1.5 litres in capacity, which means it holds more than a litre even now I've filled it with dirt and plants.
The first picture is the empty jar.
The second picture is the jar after I filled it with dirt. I used dirt from the hole that the pond will be going into, which has no fertilisers etc in it. It does have a lot of crud (twigs, leaves, rocks, roots) that I tried, but only partially succeeded, to remove.
The third picture shows the first stage of planting. I used offcuts from my 16 gal. The two plants there are elodea and red ludwigia.
The fourth picture shows my fully planted jar. I used tiny black gravel for the cap, then added a java moss carpet and a little pagoda (courtesy of Acumen Aquatics) with a java fern attached to it. The water is cloudy still.
I will post more photos as the water clears, and when I add the first shrimpy inhabitants. Chances are a few snails jumped in with the plants. :)
Sorry if any of the pictures are on their side/upside down, I don't know why they do that. I also apologise for the poor quality.