I have successfully had my first spawn. No one was harmed, and seemed quite a bit calmer than I was expecting. Kio, the male grizzle hm, would swim over to Gem, the female, to let her know it was time to embrace again. It took about 2 hours for the spawning to be complete, and Gem did eat a few eggs, but luckily Kio would chase her off before she ate more than one after each wrapping.
The eggs hatched yesterday (August 2nd, 2013) at 3 pm, which was pretty much exactly 24 hours after spawning.
Today I decided to test water changes, and also counted every single fry and held them in containers until the water change was complete. I did however add the old water they were in, into the new water. I also harvested the bubble nest with a spoon and reintroduced Kio and he immediately picked up every single fry of the 495 and put the in the plants and bubble nest.
I plan to leave him with the fry until they are free swimming and can swim to the surface without problems.
I have noticed however that the fry do already show differences in appearance. Not deformities, but some seem to be larger or have more 'color' on them than the others. I did cull 2 fry who seemed deformed and weren't very strong and appeared to struggle with moving even the tips of their tails.
I have video documented of the spawn and the hatch.
My hope is that I won't lose many fry. All seem healthy and active.