Betta Fish Forum banner

Electric Mayhem: Sparky's Log

46K views 820 replies 28 participants last post by  Sakura8 
#1 ·
So I thought since he's kind of a novelty, I'd start a journal for Sparky ZapZap Thor Zeus Etc., my electric catfish. For those of you who don't know his short history, Sparky was at one of my LFS for months, kept in a tiny compartment that he could barely turn around in. In the 4-5 months that I've been frequenting that store, I have only seen him turn around once! Every time I went in, I'd see him and feel sorry for him so when my 55gal became free, I decided to get him. I'm still not quite sure what to expect so this will be an adventure.

Sparky settled in nicely when I brought him home. He was initially afraid of the white piece of pipe I put in for him as a tunnel but he has since gotten over that and sometimes all I can see of him are his barbels sticking out of the pipe.

Yesterday, he had his first water change. He handled it very well, just chilled out while I siphoned the water out. But when I started putting the water in, he got quite excited and began to swim around a lot and explore. He looks an awful lot like a floating sausage.

So far, he hasn't wanted to eat much for me. I fasted him for a few days to get him hungry and tonight I dropped in two Hikari Sinking Carnivore Pellets. If he eats those, then I'll give him some beefheart tomorrow. If he doesn't, I guess I'll have to fast him again until he's hungry enough to eat. I've heard that carnivores like him sometimes only eat a few times a week so maybe that's it? They had just fed him when I got him last Tuesday.

See less See more
#2 ·
Do you have any pictures? How big is he?

#3 ·
He's about 8" long right now. Supposedly they can get up to 49" but all the sites I read online said they stay around 12-16" in captivity. I sure hope so. O.O

Pics of Sparky! Sorry if these were posted elsewhere. Haven't had a chance to take new pics.

http://s1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff456/SakuraNeko8/?action=view&current=SparkysIntro.mp4

http://s1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff456/SakuraNeko8/?action=view&current=Sparky.mp4

http://s1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff456/SakuraNeko8/?action=view&current=RizandSparky.mp4

http://s1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff456/SakuraNeko8/?action=view&current=SparkyExploring.mp4

#4 ·
He won't eat. :( They said they fed him beefheart, krill, bloodworms, and sinking pellets. Tried beefheart twice, tried bloodworms (by the way, sucking uneaten bloodworms out of a deep tank with a sand substrate is not fun). Now I'm trying krill. Hopefully he'll eat that. If not, I'll go back to the store and ask about what specific brands they fed him.

I put a new shelter in for him too. It's actually a half log meant for turtles but it works.

#5 ·
Have you tried soaking the worms or beef heart in garlic juice yet? That's about all I can think of to entice him. Maybe he's just taking his sweet time getting used to his new surroundings. He looks pretty healthy :)

#7 ·
Garlic juice would be my suggestion, too. But I've never actually used it. I've never had a fish (or almost any other pet for that matter) refuse food.

Sparky needs to eat! He has to maintain that adorably chubby profile! Maybe you should also ask the store when was the last time he ate.

#10 ·
He ate some krill, I think. What didn't promptly get sucked into the filter. I know the last time they fed him was the day I got him. I haven't tried the ol' garlic juice trick but tonight I'm going to. I'd just as soon he not decide that all he ever wants to eat are live earthworms.

I've heard they are nocturnal and don't like light but when I open the garage door to do water changes, he starts moving around a lot. Sometimes he looks at me and points his little barbels at me and I can almost hear him thinking, "ZAAAAP!"

#11 ·
I think he ate some of the garlic-soaked beefheart. Not sure. I went to put it near him but it immediately got caught on the current and a lot went straight into the filter. Strangely enough, his favorite food seems to be sinking carnivore pellets. I dropped two more in and he darted . . . well, waddled out and snarfed them up before hiding in his tunnel again. I'm not sure how healthy that is for him, though. Everything I've read says meaty, chunky carnivore foods are their faves. Sparky, you're weird.

#14 ·
It's official. This little weirdo won't eat anything but sinking pellets. Since the Hikari Sinking Carnivore Pellets are quite small, I went to my LFS and picked up a bag of Hikari Massivore Nuggets for him. He had better eat those because they cost $28 a bag and no returns. -__- The bag says each nuggest is the equivalent of a feeder fish so hopefully it's a little more nutritious for him than the small pellets. Last night, he got so excited he was swimming up to meet my hand as I was putting them in. I almost started to handfeed him before I remembered what he was. :shock:

#15 ·
Probably no worse than a shock from an electroshocker powered by two car batteries. When I was surveying streams in Arkansas I yelled "off" to the guy working the shocker, but he didn't hear it. My whole arm got a nice shock as I fell on my butt. Graceful and fried :p

I'm really glad you found something he likes. He even seems to be warming up to you ^-^

#16 ·
:) I hope he's warming up to me. He's such an atypical fellow. I heard they like darkness 'cause they're nocturnal so I keep his tank light off and he stays in a corner or in his tunnels. But when I do turn it on, he swims all over the place. :shock:

EDIT: One of these days, I probably will touch him just to get it over with. The suspense is killing me.

#20 ·
Sparky is such a cutie pie..... I love him.

#26 ·
He's a catfish! Hence ADORABLE whiskers.
And yea those ones get like 2 meters long. o.o

-holds up #1 fan sign-
Posted via Mobile Device
ah, I feel kinda stupid, I keep missing all these things because I'm tired. I got up at 4:50 to take a shower and eat breakfast before work this morning XD

this is cool, a mummified electric catfish from ancient Egypt

#25 ·
:shock: Wow. That's an electric eel. I would not mess with those guys, they pack an even bigger punch than electric catfish. They can even power Christmas tree lights. :shock:

Mine is scientifically called malapterurus (may be an extra ru in there, can't spell) electricus, or electric catfish. Definitely looks like a sausage. With silver beady eyes and a pouty mouth. :D

*runs out to try and get updated photo*

#27 ·
:shock: Wow. I wonder if I should mummify Sparky when his time comes? *strokes chin thoughtfully*

Haha, it's okay. You got up really early. o_O

Sparky won't come out of his tunnel for new pics. I'll have to ambush him later.

EDIT: By the way, Sparky, please don't get as big as that mummy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.