Betta Fish Forum banner

Trouble with fissidens, mosses generally

980 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  VJM 
#1 ·
Hi everybody,

I have three planted tanks, now occupied by the three cutest boy bettas in the world. I keep all three tanks about 79 degrees. pH tends to run high, around 7.6-8.2 (I am currently struggling with figuring out what is up with that range).

Tank one has Xmas moss on driftwood in it. It is doing OK. Sending out new growth, but also plenty of brown spots. It's been in there since early February, so I think it has found its equilibrium. This tank has a Deep Blue Solar Flare clip on light, which should be a ton of light.

Tank three has fissdens attached to a piece of driftwood. That went in about a week and a half to two weeks ago. I bought the fissidens from a very legit hobbyist seller on another site. It has all turned brown. I do see some teeny tiny new growth in some spots, but it looks terrible. This tank has a desk lamp with a 6700k Colormax CFL bulb.

What's up with my moss and fissidens? Is it the temperature? Are they just slow to adapt to new conditions? I am sure they came from cooler tanks with co2 systems.

#2 ·
it took my fissidens quite a while to get used to my tank and actually do any growing at all...
it really took off once I converted my tank to low light and over fed my fish... lol.
my xmas moss really spread once it attached to my DW.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.