Betta Fish Forum banner

Went on aquabid.com again...help!!

5K views 78 replies 9 participants last post by  lilnaugrim 
#1 ·
Hey guys!

So I currently have a nice little sorority tank of 5 beautiful girls :) 3 from different petcos and two from aquabid.com. I for some reason don't like the idea of having odd numbers (and of course want an excuse to adopt more!) so I decided I was going to adopt at least 3 more to make my number 8.

Now don't worry I am actually going to get my 20 gallon tank when I go home (May 10!!) and that will become my girls home :) of course because I'll be then heading right back to college (May 17 or 19) I was just going to stick them in there while home and when we all come back to Berry I was going to set it up and move my two sponge filters from my 5 and 10 gallon (since their maximum is 10 gallon each I hope two means I can put them in the 20 gallon with no worries!).

Of course there's no guarantee that my cycle will take so if I could get some advice on transferring that would be awesome :) (Of course I was going to take water from both of the tanks and putting it into the twenty the best way I can at least with baggies -_____- since I have to get up and move everything to a whole new dorm.

ANYWHO! So the whole point of this was to show the girl that I just bidded on
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwbettasdt&1366927713

And the several girls I'm debating on (I wanted to at least get one more from petco so that I could feel like I'm helping yet another girl have a wonderful life when she might not other wise. At home there are so amazingly beautiful girls at petco so I wish I would be home sooner!!).

But here are some of the other girls I was considering
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwbettashmp&1366628541
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwbettashmp&1366927547
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwbettashm&1366533602
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwbettashmp&1366627614
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwbettashm&1366477801
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwbettashm&1366468202

Now I thought maybe I could get one more girl from aquabid.com and then get the other from petco...OR...I could maybe bump my limit up to 10 girls so that I could add more girls to my sorority. If I were to cheat and go that high I would not what so ever go higher because in case something happened with my 20 gallon my fall back in my 10 and although several people said you can have 10 girls in a 10 gallon I don't think it would be right to permitting keep them like that. Although 10 in a 20 might be nice especially to keep the peace more settled 10 girls means that there's 10 times the risk of needing 10 separate containers for the just in case. I also just found out I own a snail today so I need to make sure i have a place for him AND my sister has been failing in taking care of my male back home so I am going to try and take him with me as well to college for the summer.

But all in all here are the few girls that I've narrowed down depending on if I would go to 8 or 10 girls.

Also being in college i will have to at least move them 2 times a year once to bring them home for the summer and to bring them back for the fall. I will hopefully be able to communicate with the RA's working for the winter break to care for my girls. But I don't know about the whole water changes...so I may need to consider taking them home 4 times in a year. Or I would stay at college for the winter with my horse. Who knows!

IF I WANTED 8 BETTAS:
I am actually planning on getting this girl because I absolutely LOVE her http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwbettashm&1366468202
I LOVE this seller and I really love multicolors (if you haven't noticed :p ) but I am really wanting a red girl so she would be perfect http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwbettashmp&1366628541

IF I WANTED 10 BETTAS:
Including the above and
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwbettashm&1366477801 <I am loving her colors and her two tail look
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwbettashmp&1366927547 <if you've noticed my two girls Opal and Ceylon it would be obvious about why I like this girl :) I know her colors aren't out of this world but I am loving them pectoral fins :)

Now of course I did just adopt two girls from petco last weekend so I can say well I 'feel good' for '''saving''' those girls from who knows what. But I do still feel bad for wanting to get fancy bettas (i have been thinking of rescuing and shipping out betas in need).

SO does anyone have any advice for my hour long speech? I honestly want to get the other four but like I said I wish I could just rush over to petco and see what girls i have there.

Also I'd like to add that adopting fish isn't just 'fish' it's like adopting a cat or a dog or a horse. I am a big personality person so really doing adoption through the computer leaves me very little room for emotionally connecting with my girls. So I am like ugh -_____- because I want to be selfish and go all for looks and reviews but at the same time I don't mind spending an hour in front of the cups at petco deciding which girls I get along with well :)

See less See more
#3 ·
Personally neither of my girl's pectoral fins have been 'destroyed' by my other three. The only thing with big pectoral fins is that they aren't as fast as they could be so they could be open to being picked on but i doubt it would make too much of a difference

Reactions: JadeAngel
#5 ·
Thank you :) I went back about an hour again to bid on the red and blue marble from TMT bettas but she was gone :'( but I just bidded on the black face blue marble girl so I'm excited!

#7 ·
#8 ·
I'm so jealous of that red headed double tail girl! I wanted her so bad but I need a few extra bucks in my account at the moment. I am determined to find another like her down the road! :D

#9 ·
I have to say I'm glad that you didn't have the money for her! I am too excited to get her! But I am very sure you will! I am currently at 4 new girls and I just realized that one more is my limit (although i'll be using my 20 gallon so technically...I could go to 11 or 12... Oh gosh I don't know how to stop! lol

#10 ·
Haha yeah, I wouldn't have bid on her if I had the money anyway knowing that you already had.

5 girls is great for a 10 gallon, you can definitely have 8-9 comfortably in a 20....should I stop my encouraging? lol I've got 8 in my 33 right now but they also share it with 7 neons, 6 dwarf cories and a BN pleco. I want to at least round it to 9 when I find a black CT with red fins and then if I find another that looked like that girl, Definitely grabbing her!

But I'm happy you go her! She's going to a great home!

#11 ·
Thank you! I have to admit there was a EE girl yesterday that was nice (not the best) and I almost went for her but she was already bidded on so I debated but then felt bad so I didn't which is fine :p

Currently I'll have 9 if I get all the girls :p I am debating though on a 5th...I don't have the room to separate each individually beyond cups (which I'll need to get 5 more cups before I head home for 2 weeks >_< ) but I have one 20 gallon, one 10 gallon, one 5 gallon, and two 2.5 gallon tanks so I feel that if I don't or cannot use my 20 I could separate the girls into all those tanks.

BUT anywho :p trust me you don't need to encourage a hoarder to be fish lady!

Here are the girls I've bidded on/won:

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwbettasdt&1366927713
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwbettashm&1366533602
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/closed.cgi?view_closed_item&fwbettashm1366477801
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/closed.cgi?view_closed_item&fwbettashm1366468202

I've been thinking about maybe dropping one of the girls from that group. I do know I cannot hold back but I thought about contacting the seller and telling them that I don't have the room for one more girl. But at the same time each one of those girls are interesting to me. The Orange girl is because I don't have that color in my tank, the two double tails have such interesting colors that fascinates me and the Black Faced girl also interests me but at the same time I think I could let her go...but I feel horrible for saying that!

These are my 'next options' girls and if I were to stick to my rules I'd only have one more spot to adopt one of these girls.

I really wouldn't mind another EE girl :) http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwbettashmp&1366927547

I like how white she is but there's other fish from TMT bettas that I've been eyeing and she's been bidded on and I don't NEED her so http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwbettashmp&1366628651

I love her colors! http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwbettashm&1366646530

Her because I want some red in my tank as well
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwbettashmp&1366573639

So I don't know the two blue girls make me feel like I'm adding too much of the same color (I have to admit I hate thinking of these individuals as just shiny moving objects, that's why I like buying from petco so I can meet them before but at the same time I like the idea of picking out colorful girls or like my EE girls, bettas I won't find at my local petco

#13 ·
I know right!?!?!? And yeah its hard not to want to look! Our of the two blue marbles that I bidded on I might not adopt because I don't know if I really have the room...but I feel horrible because I did bid on them! -_____- I need a fish room lol

#17 ·
Gosh I wish I could set that up at home and have the money!!

#19 ·
Yeah a millon trips to the bathroom isn't always fun lol

#20 ·
Ugg I don't have the luxury of just going to to bathroom, I have to go to the kitchen sink! But yes, those tanks would be amazing to own! So much you could do with them!

#21 ·
#22 ·
She's beautiful as well! I'm a huge fan of her yellow eyes, I don't normally like all black eyes as I feel they aren't as personable but that's just me.

Well if you decide you don't want that double tail red-headed girl, hit me up! lol But I think you should stick with the 4 for now, who knows what will be down the road on Aquabid!

#23 ·
Oh its the red headed girl I want the most :p the other 3 are beautiful and I hope that it'll all work out with those girls! The 2 blue marble and orange are from the person I got Opal from so I know they've been taken care of. I am just debating on if I get the two marble girls or just one...but the black face and DT are so unique to me! And I really love that steel big eared girl. Her pectoral fins are so beautiful!

And also with the girl I just showed, does her head look a little off to you?

#24 ·
Yeah, I don't blame you! No worries, I'm not going to sneak a bid in there.

And that new girl's head looks fine, I mean it's not Show Quality as I've seen around here but she's still a very sweet looking girl. Okay, so which ones are you currently looking at? I'm getting a bit confused by everything.

The Steel bodied EE
Redhead DT
Marble DT
Black faced girl
Orange Marble
And the newer white marble EE

Am I missing anyone from here?

#25 ·
Lol I am so sorry for being so confusing! And thank you :p if you did I would understand why!

And yeah that's what I thought I was just wondering if it could be a problem but if its only looks than not really lol

Ok so I have bidded and won the:

DT blue marble
Black faces blue marble
'Super' orange with blue in her tail

I am currently waiting on the red headed girl.

I am in debate though about the EE steel blue girl

I like the newest EE but I don't think I'd get her because if I were to not get one of the girls from the same seller I would feel bad by turning around and getting another one. I like the idea of having 9 and not a full 10

My debate though is whether I get both blue marbles or drop one

#26 ·
I would hold off on the EE steel blue (I just feel like that's a more common EE coloration seen and you could probably find another like her fairly easily).

I'm not terribly fond of the newest EE, but this is just my opinion (I've never really been a fan of the coloration)

Again, I think I would wait it out to see if anything new comes up so you can gradually increase your stock. And besides, you never know if you find something as awesome as the redhead! I'm sure there's bound to be some other amazing looking EE out there, just waiting to be posted on Aquabid!

#27 ·
Yeah I think I will hold off on her.

In that case I'll only have 4 coming my way but now I'm debating because I don't know who exactly I want -___-

#33 ·
Yeah I really do like all of those. And Jennifer told me she could hold them for me until I come home so that way they'll be in quarantine with her before I get them and then I'll take them home and slowly introduce them into my 20 gallon with all my girls and then a week later I'll head back to my college.

But I do have one question, I'll probably have to come back to my college May 17 which means I'll only be gone for about 6-7 days. Obviously I don't want to just leave my girls with no food for 7 days but do you think if I got someone to at least feed them twice within that time I should leave them? Or should I take them the 4 hours home with me?

#34 ·
I would let someone feed them once or twice, they won't starve within that amount of time. Just so you know, one of my betta's took a month off from food so they'll be fine. As long as you know that person won't over feed them or anything because that will cause problems. But I think if you left them there that would be fine :)

#35 ·
A month??? Wow that's amazing!! I know one girl here (whose the kid of betta in a bowl no heater type, although she's really nice and I wish I could connivence her that they're not happy in an unheated bowl!) left her boy all spring break and she said he was fine when she got back! I have to admit that it really scares me to leave them that long without being fed (and I am not sure if there will be someone here to feed them in that time but I will be asking around).

So if no one is here I would be leaving May 10 and then coming back May 17, hopefully sometime early (4 hour drive so early would be 1 lol) do you think they would be fine? I mean I know they're not meant to eat every day but I am honestly scared about leaving them that long, I guess i could drop a few pellets to the bottom and let them find it while I'm gone?

I've heard that the feeders for when you're out of town just mess up your water and hurt the fish really

#37 ·
Well it was a month because he was still getting used to his new tank and whatnot. I still tried to feed him but he wouldn't eat. So hence, he didn't eat for a month but he eats like a pig.

I wouldn't leave food in there either just because that can mess with your water chemistry as well, I would just find a babysitter. Unless you are seriously not digging this idea, then you could try the 4 hour drive home, but this would probably make them more stressed IMO :(

#39 ·
Wow that really is amazing! All of my girls right now are little piggies and won't be passing up a meal anytime soon :p

Yeah I figured that would be a horrible idea lol And I'll look around for a baby sitter but I doubt someone will actually be here :/ but I would prefer to leave them instead of pack them all up, pick up the new girls than bring everyone home all at once. I may actually leave on the 16th because we're suppose to move all of our things out on the 17th so I may need to get there a day early to be more prepared.

But who knows, I am getting ready to pay the guy for the 3 girls. I almost wish I had it in me to not take one of them but I really do love all 3 of them!!

#40 ·
She actually is the reason why I exploded with bettas within a few days -____- I honestly was just like 'Eh let me look to see if I can find a number 6 for the group'....I am now up to 10 (that includes the 5 girls I have right now). So I am a lucky one lol or just a fish hoarder in disguise!

#42 ·
Awww that's sad :( I'm sorry you didn't get her!!

I love the first girl! Those little red spots are the cutest things ever!!

I can't really comment too much about EE since I'm not super fond on them but holy cow, the price of the white one! I do like the colors on the purple on but that first one is just so cute :D

#44 ·
But at least I got the red headed girl!!! So I'm not TOO sad :p

And I just bidded on the yellow girl and I'm trying not to be too crazy BUT I really really do want this girl http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwbettashmp&1367080479 because I am loving the EE girls! I know you don't :p but gosh I'm a big ear junkie now lol I guess I've always loved how their fins flow in the water and since girls don't have long fins that's what makes up for it :p

But would i be crazy to have 11 fish??

#45 ·
That's awesome :) I really love all my little girls :)

#48 ·
Oh yay! Red headed girl! Have you got a name for her yet? Yeah, I think you should get the EE if you really like her, she does have great coloration and her "ears" look pretty fantastic.

And no 11 isn't bad. I've only got 8 in my 33, but I now have 15 Betta's total...I just bought two baby's today and I'm fairly certain one's a boy and the other is a girl....now I'm crazy!!

#49 ·
No I have actually not named my two newest girls...and now I may have 5-6 other new girls coming in...7-8 new names I need to come up with lol

But I do have an idea at least for one of my girls here, Paddie because when I was explaining to my friend that they live in rice paddies she thought I meant food and she was like 'What...' LOL it was a funny conversation :p

And I think I'm going to bid on her! I think she just has such a nice perfection to her and I do like her redish color :) I do need that in my tank too!

Then I will have 11 girls in a 20 gallon sorority tank!! And trust me I don't think you're crazy :p although I would love to hear how the babies do!!

The crazy thing is I want to breed my male and one of my females to see what their genetics are. But unless enough people are willing to adopt I won't because I don't think 50 babies is the best number...lol now THAT'S crazy

#51 ·
As long as you have adequate hiding spaces and lots and lots of plants then you'll be fine with 11 ^^

I think you should name the redhead Murika because America lol That's what I would name her at least ^^ And it's kind of cute as well. I will eventually have a red/white and blue Betta and name it Murika :D

#53 ·
I have two more pieces of that drift wood so I guess I should start preparing them to go into my twenty gallon :) I also need to get more gravel....I find yet ANOTHER snail this time in my 10 gallon -___- I moved him over but now I cannot locate him :( he was a different kind of snail than the bladder snail. More like the ones you find at the edge of ponds. So I want to get more live plants but currently...I'm a little weary of whom to buy from. And to be honest the betta bulbs I buy from petco are the ones that seem to live the longest. But they do loose stems every so often and i just pick them off.

I wouldn't want to disgrace her with naming her Merica lol (or Murika). But that is a clever idea :) I'm naming the blue Paddie (for rice paddies) and my green new girl is actually developing blue tips and is slowly turning bluer I believe :p she's really gorgeous and I'm excited to watch her change colors!!

#55 ·
That would be awesome!! You could introduce it like 'These are my double tails and over there are my marbles and we cannot forget the dragon scales!' :p hope your sorority is going well!!

#54 ·
Haha, that's fine, I won't meddle in your naming affairs :p And I love watching Betta's change color! It's always so nifty and sometimes very surprising!

Yeah, I also had bought an amazon sword from my LFS that I didn't realize had snail eggs on it. So they hatched and I suddenly found myself with a TON of snails....but them my girls devoured them so I have no more snails >< Which is a good thing and a bad thing, I'm very wearing about getting larger snails for that tank because I don't want to spend the money just for my girls to have a glorious snack, same with shrimp :( so I guess I'll just let my cories and pleco do their jobs for now!

I want to see pictures when everyone is settle in!!! :D

#57 ·
Yeah I have to admit that my naming bucket is bone dry for all of my incoming girls -____- ugh BUT My creativity is coming back slowly so I am starting to pick out some names :p I may even change Ceylon's name because i don't know if I really like it and it reminds me of Saline and my sisters name is Soline (So lean) and that's just not right lol

Yeah i got her as a freshly matured little girl from petco and she defiantly had the 'baby betta colors' with green coming in but I guess now it's changing to another color lol. My boy Socrates from walmart was a green betta with red fins and now he's got a black head blue with some green body and red fins with black tips -__- talk about a total turn around!!

So I could be possibly pointing the blame on my swordtail and can buy the other plants again?? lol some of my plants didn't make it either because they couldn't get roots, they couldn't stand the process of cycling my tank, or I had accidentally 'unearthed' them and took too long to put them back under (the plant that had that happen is currently in my 5 gallon and this morning my Bladder snail was going all over the dying leaves so I put some lettuce in there for him so he wouldn't eat my java fern!). So right now all I have are my petco plants, betta bulbs and what ever else I adopted lol.

And yeah I believe I see little baby bladder snails in my 5 gallon and now I'm worried because in 3 weeks I'll be picking everyone up, emptying both tanks and putting the gravel and water into a million plastic bags (I think I'll only transport about 50% of the water in both tanks...and then I'll have to start a whole new cycle of my 5 gallon for my boy Socrates) and then transport them to my new room for the summer....(I am hoping that it will work out and the cycle will take! If not I'll have to put 11 in my 10 gallon and do 100% water changes, with 50% in between, until the 20 is ready again!) And I really don't want to kill the snails by drying them out but if they're not big enough for me to find...then I really cannot do much because if those are snails they are tiny tiny.

But I will defiantly take pictures! Currently I'm clean my 20 gallon because we had our baby turtles in there and my mom just rinsed the tank out when we found them homes (we cleaned their poop and water every day). I was nervous about just putting my girls in the 20 gallon without bleaching it first so I had my dad bring it when he came to visit and now I'm doing the first step of bleaching and then letting it air dry and either in a few minutes or tonight I'll rinse it again and let it air dry. And if I cannot smell the turtles or bleach then I'll rinse it one more time before saying its good. But if I can smell either or both I'll be still cleaning -___-

Sorry for the massive reply!! I do have to ask a question, have you every moved a tank like I plan to. Bagging up the water, gravel, plants, etc. and then transporting them some where and setting up again? I only have 2 sponge filters going right now and I am thinking about putting my 3rd in my 5 gallon so it can establish itself so that when I move I'll have 3 established sponge filters instead of just two...but then again I want to wait because I figured I'd just start over with Socrates tank. Any suggestions?

And again sorry for this massive overload!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.