Betta Fish Forum banner

If you have females you'd otherwise cull I am starting a sorority

4K views 49 replies 9 participants last post by  whatsupyall 
#1 ·
I've have some petstore ones already in my case I'd prefer unrelated spawn as I don't want any to double team the fish I have. I have fish of all sizes and ages. I've been looking on Aquabid but I imagine someone who breeds on this forum might have some decent looking females that don't meet breeding requirements.I don't plan on breeding perfection is not required just good health.

#3 ·
I'm really not sure that the "double-team" worry is justified, just FYI. I have sixteen females from one breeder and another female from a different one. She hasn't been bothered in any way. In the one post you read, it could have been that the pet store females simply weren't as healthy as the ones obtained off of Aquabid, and hence they fell lower in the pecking order.

#6 ·
Deane you have a point. Some of my fish while doing fine now were in dirty cups and took awhile to recover. Hopefully that won't affect their ability to thrive in the long run. Goldfishies can you post pictures? Do any of the defects affect their ability to swim or cause other fish to pick on them?

#7 ·
I don't mean to hijack your thread but I'd be interested in the same as well, if you pass of course. I'm starting a sorority too and would love to give a chance to a special betta or two. :)

#10 ·
Going to sit here and watch this thread in case a girl pops up that could go into my sorority too! Don't mean to hi-jack any threads! I'll just take the scraps so to say haha

#12 ·
You guys and gals are hilarious lol. Why not just purchase my females that are free of deformities! lol. Anyway, I just ask that if you find any that you like that I am rehoming for free, that you pay $15.00 flat rate shipping. Are you still waiting now? Haha, silly.

#13 ·
Certainly, if I were to buy a fish it'd still have shipping on it anyway! So either free fish with shipping or pay the fish and the shipping....lol Either way I don't exactly have money now anyway so I'm more just looking around I guess :)

#15 ·
I am, but I usually post my fish here first. Then a few days later I post them on AB. It's usually cheaper here. I am always willing to work things out with members here for a reasonable price. So if you see something you like, don't hesitate to send me a private message. I may list fish for $10 or so, but I can do $9.99 no problem lol joking. So yeah, I'm just finishing up taking pictures from the videos because youtube takes forever to upload lol. I promise the fish with faults won't be up til tomorrow in the afternoon lol.

#16 ·
lol 10 dollars to 9.99 that's great XD Are they all blue's and greens from this past spawn? Or is it a new spawn?

#18 · (Edited)
What's lol for?

I posted because I know spawns produce many more fish than a breeder can home or care for. I know culling is part of the breeding process but I like to imagine that breeders wish they could home more of the bettas rather than cull. Furthermore, if I go on aquabid I pay $20-30 for a fish often I might also pay shipping from Thailand. I think they are beautiful but I could also buy fish supplies like the whole bunch of live plants I will need for my 20 long.

Female fish are harder to find here they cost between .99 and $2.69. They often are not colored. Generally no one wants them. In some stores I've seen them intentionally dump dirty water in the cups the females or just never clean their cups so they die and they get the credit for them. I've tapped most of the supply of decent females that don't all look the same. I still have 4 that look almost the same.

The way I see it get some fish a breeder doesn't want or can't possibly keep due to the sheer numbers. The fish get to live and get a home with a nice habitat. It seems like a win-win to me. I will buy from aquabid or a member few months down the road. Once this tank is set up.

#22 ·
I'm laughing because lilnaugrim is being silly lol. I do agree with you. :) There is absolutely nothing wrong with deform fish that are healthy if you plan to only keep it as pets. I have a few bettas with deformities that I am keeping around the house just because they are unique and probably no one see's the beauty that I see in them. :)

#19 ·
Jadeblu I think it's brilliant.
I was thinking about starting a similar thread for veil-tails, as I know they pop up in some spawns and are promptly culled, because no one wants them. Except I want them, so it can be a win-win.
It's the same with females of any variety. Nearly everyone prefers the boys. So if you want girls, why not speak up??

I've been very tempted by Whatsupyall's girls myself. Like you, I just can't find any around here, and a sorority is just such a nice thing to have!

#25 ·
My PO - Post Office, sorry. The main person working there is not so great with packages. I'm really, REALLY rural. I'm trying to work something out with my mailman, so he'll just call me when I have a package because the person in charge will insist that he drag it around in his truck all day in an "attempt to deliver" before just calling me to get it at the Post Office, which is what I'll need to do anyway.
If I can work it out so that we can avoid the part where they're bounced around on dirt roads all day, then I'd ship.
But if not, then I'll just have to save my money, wait till fall, get a post office box and have a betta splurge!

#27 ·
This is just a picture idea of the fish that are available. Shipping itself is approximately $11 and $15, but I have to charge for packaging, and that is why it's a bit higher than what you will see on the label. $15 shipping for up to 4 fish. Will ship up to 6 fish for $20. If you like them, please indicate what colors and I will try my best to pick out the right ones. Please note that the main deformity with these fish are crooked tails. None the less, they seem to be healthy and swimming just fine.

#28 ·
I love that girl with the white body and light green or blue fins in the back. I'd definitely take a girl like that and probably 2 more.

#30 ·
I don't want to call first dibs since this wasn't my thread, but if you have enough to go around, I'll take four. I'd like a white bodied with green or blue fins, white bodied with very light fins(one looks almost orange?), a white bodied with red fins(darker red the better) and a light bodied with dark fins(blue preferably). Thanks so much, I'm so exited! :)

#31 ·
There is plenty to go around with. Do not worry. I'm excited to find these guys homes too! I was thinking of giving it to my children's friends at school, but I figure they would live in bowls with little care. On the other hand, that's how I started unfortunately.

#32 · (Edited)
So I am interested in the one with the light orange fins below the one you say is white bodied. I like the white one the green fins and green stripe. If you triangulate the next group by the green ones I like the one at the top that is light bodied with red fins and the one with the light blue and red rimmed fins at the bottom. I am curious at to what color the white one is that is swimming toward the bottom. Is she all white or does she have other colors? I am headed to dinner I will check back.
Thanks!

#33 · (Edited)
The white body are all with red fins. If it looks orange, probably because they are still in shock from moving them here from the grow out tank. For simplification, I will try to get one of each color. I will only choose the best, so don't worry. I also have good taste lol. So far JadaBlu and Minnieservis has reserve their pick. So I will probably take 1 or 2 more users because I do not want to sent out completely deform fish that does not look like bettas lol. By end of tomorrow I will close this offer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.