Betta Fish Forum banner

Help saving some plants.

941 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ao 
#1 ·
A few weeks ago I'd bought some plants that were on sale at my LFS with no where to put
them as I was planning on using them in my sorority. There was a bunch of narrow leaf
anacharis, two varieties of cabomba, large anubias plants, big red wendtii crypts and some
large Kleiner Bar Swords..
I had them in a 5 gallon bucket of water with some fertilizer, and with all the commotion of
Aquabid and everything going on I totally forgot about them. I only remembered they were
there because I smelt an awful smell and it was indeed coming from the bucket..
I remove all the rotted plants which was mostly the cabomba and the anacharis (only have
tiny bits of that left) but I wasn't sure how to save the crypts, swords, and the anubias..
I took off any melted/rotted leaves, and put them in clean water with more fertilizer but they
continued to rot..
They look to be rotting at the base of all the leaves, would it help if I cut all the leaves off
and planted the roots that are left?
Is there anything else I should/could do?
I think I can plant them now, they would be going into soil capped with fine gravel if that is
what I should do.

See less See more
#3 ·
They had a bit of window light :-? The top plants had more light than the bottom ones.
The swords, crypts and anubias were on the top so I think that's why they were a little
better off than the others. I might have to plant them in the bucket and clamp a light on
for a few days.
Should I cut off anything that looks like it's starting to rot?

#5 ·
They should be fine if you clip the leaves off and plant them. A lot of plants are grown emmersed in soil and would rot anyway when they transitioned into being submerged. Crypts are really bad to melt when moved. So long as the roots aren't rotting, they should eventually grow back.

#6 ·
Any pics? I don't recommend fertiliser. right now the plants are trying to recover. I also don't recommend rooting anythig right now...except for the crypts. float everything in your tank and see how they go. There are fish in the tanks right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.