Betta Fish Forum banner

Dwarf/Pea Puffer

6K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  Gizmothefreaky 
#1 ·
Does anyone else have one of these guys? They are so freaking cute... I have one that i rescued at the beginning of this month, he/she was skinny and close to death, and now, just 13 days later, is MUCH better! He/She even has a belly pooch starting, not nearly as fat as it should be, but we are getting there quickly. X3

Meet Charlie-Tango everyone!

This was the day i got him home... So skinny! D:

This was just three days later, looking better Charlie!

And these are all from today and the last couple days! Getting fat!

And here is his tank, live plants and more snails than he knows what to do with. Pea puffer paradise!

Sorry for the spam, lmao! Let me know what you guys think... And if you have any puffers, lemme see them! :D

Also, i am sorry for the poor quality in the pics, all i have is my cell phone... And it is crap at macro shots... lol

See less See more
#6 ·
#7 ·
That is really good information! Thank you. :)

I am positive that Charlie here is a pea puffer, the LFS i got him from is very good, and i trust them. He was just being picked on being the smallest in the tank, so i chose to save him.

#12 ·
lol! The snails arent that bad when they are only in the one tank.

I love puffers. My LFS has them as well as the saltwater types.
What size tank is he in?
Charlie is in a 2.5 right now, because of the poor shape he was in when i got him, but ill move him to a 5 when he is fully recovered. :)

#16 ·
You can bet that i will! :)

well I have a betta in my tank right now so maybe after... for now I will live vicariously through you
lol, i have so many fish tanks right now, one more was nothing. X3

i wanted one for my 2.5! but i have seen many mixed reviews.. i want him though, im so jealous!
They really arent that hard to care for. Besides getting the live snails, they dont require any daily feeding if you want to just let the snails breed freely in the tank, just keep the snails fed and happy, and he will feed himself.

#15 ·
i wanted one for my 2.5! but i have seen many mixed reviews.. i want him though, im so jealous!

#17 ·
I thought this was interesting to learn:
Use caution when transporting DPs. Puffers cannot be exposed to air (except in the direst of circumstances, such as if you have spilled a bottle of bleach in the tank), as a panicked puffer may puff, and when they take in air instead of water, they may not be able to expel it. This is a deadly condition. It is often possible to “burp” a puffer by holding it underwater with its tail down and head up and gently massaging the belly, OR by grabbing the tail and jerking it firmly downwards several times. If this does not remove the air and the puffer can’t manage it on its own, the result is much like swim bladder disorder, but more severe and instantaneous. The puffer will probably not be able to swim downwards and will exhaust itself trying to do so. The panic and shock often lead to death. This is why it is CRUCIAL that you do not remove it from the water! Shoo it into a container with a net and dump it into the other tank/holding container.

#19 ·
I saw one just the other day. I wanted to put one in with my betta but was quickly told bad match. They said they are aggressive and would most likely eat the bettas fins. They said they need to be put with other aggressive fish but I don't know which they meant. I would love to have one but... Doesn't look like it will happen unless a tank frees up. They are really cute.

#20 ·
I did know that about the air exposure.

Yes, she is the only one right now, was nursing her back to health before getting more, but I do plan on getting more.

They really need to be in a species only tank, so I wouldn't keep them with anyone else, especially bettas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.