Betta Fish Forum banner

Red Cherry Shrimp

3K views 22 replies 4 participants last post by  Welsh 
#1 ·
Finally got 3 of these little guys today to breed for my betta tanks (hopefully they'll get along) at the moment they are in with my golden apple snail and I was just wondering whether the snail will eat the shrimp? I didn't realise how small these things were and now I'm worried lol.

#7 ·
The only reason I have the snails in the tank is to bump up their calcium intake,etc but I think I may leave them in there now =)

Can different types of shrimp live in the same tank? or is this a stupid question lol

#8 · (Edited)
Not a stupid question......

Some shrimp, yes, can be mixed, but some cannot due to crossbreeding, it is more in the color variation like the red cherry and yellow color morph, you don't want to mix to keep the color true. I think, not 100% sure, but there are several color variation of the cherry shrimp, they come in red, yellow, blue and I think white, it would be neat if you could mix them and get a rainbow of colors...but it doesn't work that way....

Here is a good link
http://planetinverts.com/Red Cherry Shrimp.html

It also has a good section on different bugs in your tank too.

#14 ·
I just ate some muscles and have about 20 shells. I need to boost my calcium levels in my snail/shrimp tank, at the moment the PH is 7.4 and apparently this isnt strong for the snails since their shells are still cracking and snapping. What I want to know is will this work? If so how long will it take? and lastly, how many should I use?

#18 ·
Since last night I have noticed a rancid smell coming from the shrimp/snail tank I'm pretty sure its a mix of the cabbage leaf and sand which is underneath the gravel. I want to take all the gravel and sand out to have a bare bottomed tank but it would mean taking the water out too, my question is will the clean tank re-cycle and kill my shrimp?

#19 ·
I just got my shrimp today all 20 healthy and alive but they are mixed sizes some have clearly just been born and are tiny, I'm not sure how to look after the little fry I haven't put them in with the others because I want to keep an eye on them so they are floating in a tub. What I want to know is, what do I feed them?

Thanks

#21 ·
I got java moss in the shrimp tank, Im not sure if it will grow but I added tetra plantamin fert and didn't realise that some ferts have copper in them I have read the back of the bottle but it doesnt say anything, is this OK for the shrimp?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.