Betta Fish Forum banner

So you want to rescue bettas? Read this!

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Miharu 
#1 ·
Heres an article I wrote up for the website that I'm working on, I decided to post it here as well!! I hope you enjoy it!!!

Knowing the Difference Between a Rescue and a Sympathy Purchase

The first step to rescuing bettas is being able to tell the difference between a rescue and a sympathy purchase. A sympathy purchase is really nothing more then seeing a sick fish on a shelf and buying it because you feel bad for it and you want to help.

There is nothing wrong with this, but remember, it can't really be called a rescue, because in paying for the fish you are in a way saying to the pet store "Hey you take really bad care of your fish, but I don't care and I'm going to give you money anyway."

So in reality you're paying the store to take bad care of the fish, and they're not going to try and improve anything because they're making money off of the way things already are.

A real rescue involves paying no money at all for a fish in need of help. Most pet stores are willing to give you a sick fish that will obviously die on the shelf otherwise, if you're just willing to ask for it. Some won't.

Some stores, such as walmart, are willing to discount for "damaged goods" while this isn't as good as getting the betta for free, it still sends out a message that they will lose money if the bettas are not well taken care of.

So You Want To Help But Can't Take In Another Betta?

No Problem! There are plenty of other things that you can do!

Start an online petition - Get a ton of signature and begin mailing or emailing the petitions to your local petstores.

Print out Flyers - Create and print out an eye catching informational flyer about the proper care of bettas. Leave a stack next to the betta cups at a local petstore or carry them with you when you know you'll be going to a pet store and hand them to people who look like they may be interested in purchasing a betta.

Business Cards - Make business cards with a couple quick, but important betta care facts, and add a link to your favorite betta specific website or forum. And do the same as listed above for the fliers.

Word of Mouth - If you go to a petstore and see someone looking at bettas, strike up a conversation, see what they know and don't know about bettas and try and point them in a positive direction.

Proper Care Sheets in Pet Stores - Approach the manager at your local petstores and ask if they have betta care sheets, if they don't ask them if they would be interested in having you write one up for them. If they do, see if they look good, If some information seems off try and explain to the manager what information is wrong, and tell them you would be willing to help them fix it. Big chain stores like petco and petsmart aren't allowed to change their care sheets as they are made by the corporate office and sent out to all of the stores. But local stores my be happy for your help.

Write a letter - Write a letter to your local petstore and explain to them whats wrong with the bettas, explain that they need the water in those cups changed daily, explain that they need heaters, explain everything, provide facts, don't stop trying.

On our own we are no more then a whisper, but if we all take a stand, all do these things, we will grow to a roar, we will be a force to be reckoned with, and they will have to listen to us!

See less See more
#3 ·
..That was a good post. I understand it, but I strongly disagree with the idea of "not getting pets from stores or similar places to make the statement that they need to treat there animals better and so they will stop getting animals from places like puppy mills." I don't think that avoiding giving those poor animals homes will make a difference, their life counts too. So your post helps with other ways to help the bettas and get them homes.

Sorry for the run on sentence. ^^;

#4 ·
I never said not to buy them, I said thats not technically a rescue. I know it seems like a rescue and it means a lot to the fish you are buying, but the fact is that by giving money to a petstore that takes poor care of the fish, it says to them that they can make money off of the fish without having to take proper care of them.

If you can't get the betta for free, fine, but make a fuss, talk to the manager, point out the condition the bettas are in, try and do something to make things better. Don't just walk in, buy the fish and leave...

I've purchased bettas that were really badly off, and no matter what I did I they wouldn't let me have it for free, but believe me when I left they knew what my opinion was and they had something to think about!

#5 ·
Oh, sorry! I think I wrote my paragraph weirdly. I wasn't saying that about your post, I was saying that you had a great idea to do instead of the quotation sentence I wrote. I agree with your post. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.