Betta Fish Forum banner

why, walmart? why?

3K views 37 replies 9 participants last post by  Luimeril 
#1 ·
months ago, my walmart had bettas, after not having fish for 10 years. i kept a close eye on them, made sure the cups stayed clean, and eventually got them to stop carrying them. i went today, to go shopping(late x-mas gift from the folks), and was horrified to see they had MORE cups. there were so many cups, many were shoved in the back, away from view. i immediately did a check-over, and saw many nasty cups, filled with..... i don't even know! looks like moldy black dirt! i was saddened to see one, beautiful marble CT, dead and upside down at the bottom of his cup. he was stunning, white and purply-blue body with deep red fins. one boy barely had a tail, from fin rot. many were lethargic. i would have gotten one boy, a brilliant blue and VERY active, if i hadn't found the dead one. i toted his cup all the way up customer service, waited in line for five minutes, and handed him to the lady, saying "he's dead" and telling her about the nasty cups. i do hope something happens, because they were rather pretty(though.... not alot of variety. most were colored like my Cup, only without his random marble gene). i may still go back, and get the boy missing most of his tail. he won't last long there, at all, i know that much. if i can go back to walmart, i'm taking a camera, and writing a note to tell them how nasty the cups were, and that i'll complain every day until they're acceptable. i do NOT take nicely to nasty betta cups. :/ got a guy fired at my local pet store for that stuff. >.>; i'm gonna keep an eye on the bettas, and WILL complain EVERY DAY if i have to.

See less See more
#32 ·
i hope it's normal. he's not nearly as active today, but he's moving his peccy fins and trying to swim. maybe he explored a bit last night, and is resting. i'm gonna try to pick up a heater at the pet store soon for him. and, maybe one of those leaf hammocks, too. he's gonna be a spoiled betta. now, he just needs an actual name!

#33 ·
I hate Walmart and Petsmart. Their care of the bettas is horrible. Petco is the only store close to me that takes good care of their bettas and every now and then even they slip up. Most of my bettas are from Walmart and Petsmart though because I feel the need to save some. I know people are going to keep buying them so they aren't going to stop carrying them so at least I can give 1 or 2 (each trip :shock:) a good home. Me and my husband have gone so far as to give some of the bettas water changes since no one is ever in that section when we are there anyway. I could go on forever about all the things that make me angry about them!

I hope Gimpy pulls through!!! I will be rooting for him!!

#35 ·
I hate Walmart and Petsmart. Their care of the bettas is horrible. Petco is the only store close to me that takes good care of their bettas and every now and then even they slip up. Most of my bettas are from Walmart and Petsmart though because I feel the need to save some. I know people are going to keep buying them so they aren't going to stop carrying them so at least I can give 1 or 2 (each trip :shock:) a good home. Me and my husband have gone so far as to give some of the bettas water changes since no one is ever in that section when we are there anyway. I could go on forever about all the things that make me angry about them!

I hope Gimpy pulls through!!! I will be rooting for him!!

Hehe I might try changing the water at my Walmart thats a wonderful idea ;)

#34 ·
this walmart doesn't even have a fish section! it's the Pet Supply Aisle! they crammed all the cups(that are nice sizes, imo, but should be filled more than "less than halfway") where they usually have the empty 10 gallons(my main reason for going to the pet supply aisle). i was horrified to see that they got them in, because the other manager stopped ordering them, because he knew they couldn't care for them properly!

the nearest petsmart is hardly any better. last time i went there, the bettas ALL had SBD. i got the only one who didn't, and he died that night. :/

Petco has WONDERFUL bettas, all in crystal clear cups, all active and healthy. there was ONE dead boy, but he was taken care of the moment i brought it up, and the guy apologized for that. :3

thanks. i hope Gimpy knows how many people he has rooting for him.

#36 ·
aawww.... Remy's exploring as best he can. he found out there's an underside to the Almond Leaf, and chilled there for a little bit, then explored a bit more before letting himself float up, grabbed a bit of air, and went back to exploring. <3

#37 ·
Glad he's doing good.

So... around here most Bettas have this, so I thought I would ask, does he have internal parasites? My Betta who died of this looked the exact same, slightly bloated appearance sometimes but most of the time regular, not thin, but he had a case of SBD and stringy poop. Just thought I'd add because you once said he has SBD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.