Betta Fish Forum banner

My first attempt at mixing...

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Shayna09 
#1 ·
I'm getting a 16 gallon bowfront for my king male, Sumo off of craigslist. I am hoping this is big enough to add some additional fish. I REALLY want cories! Do you think that will work? I am guessing I'm supposed to get 4 or 5 since they are schooling fish. Let me know what you think! This is my first time to add other fish with a betta!

#2 ·
A sixteen gallon would be the perfect size for five or six cories and a male betta. Make sure you have lots of plant cover for the cory cats to hide in, until they and the betta establish a pecking order. Also, use smooth gravel or sand as substrate, as cory cats love to burrow. I would also suggest cycling your tank for a few days to a week (live plants are very beneficial) then add the cory cats (2 or 3 at a time) and add your betta after your cory cats get established. That will make it easier for them all to adjust as your betta does not feel they are invading "his" territory.

#3 ·
Awesome! Thank you for the info! I am planning on black sand and live plants. I will be my first fully planted tank. If I can keep the plants alive! Lol! I will make sure it is cycles first also. Thanks again!

#7 ·
Make sure you have sand. Smooth gravel is fine but corydoras prefer sand over both. I have managed to kill 2 java ferns:shock:, but some other good plants are anacharis, water sprite, and amazon swords.

#8 ·
Thank you everyone! I will probably try a little off all the plants mentioned. Definitely sand. I am frustrated because the person hasn't emailed me back. I got her once but was still thinking about it. Then I say I want it and haven't heard back!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.