Betta Fish Forum banner

Creating myself a minion.

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  PhilipPhish 
#1 ·
...out of a 9 year old :D Well sorta.

My friends sister LOVES animals, and has been wanting pet fish for about a year now. Back before I knew what I do now about goldfish, I'd seen her get 2 small goldfish and have them in a half-gallon-1 gallon vase (this was over 6 months ago).

I told her that a single goldfish needs 20 gallons (so I've heard) to live. And I told her if she wanted a fish, a betta would be a good one for her.

So the past two days I've been teaching her about bettas, the easy fun way for a 9 year old. I told her the basics, I showed her pictures on the internet of the differant colors and tails. And then I gave her a fun test on paper.

Earlier today we went yard-sale shopping, I was thinking about if her grandmother (who she lives with) would let her get a tank bigger then 1 gallon.

Boy did we luck out when I found a plastic, what appears to be 5 gallon tank for $3 :D It looks fairly new, and has very nice purple rocks and marbles in it. I've already washed it with vinegar and rinsed it.

We've not got the fish or anything yet. Its a slow working progress. We're going camping for 2 days and we're gonna wait.

I'll keep updateing! :)

This is the tank. Anyone know maybe what it is? What gallon size? It has no lid, but her grandpa can made something out of wood and screen for it. And what its setting on (a stove) is not its permanent home. They said its just for the summer and come winter they'll move it somewhere else.

See less See more
#2 ·
i have no idea how big it is, you would try going to petco online and comparing it to things that they have their. or petsmart or wherever lol. i just wanted to say that i think it is awesome that you re helping a kid give a fish a great home :D

#7 ·
Its waay more then 2.5 gallons. Its pretty big, and after lookin, it looks like a 5 gallon.

That is child slavery!! lol is she mew to betta fish? =)
Yep, she's new to betta fish. She says she's always wanted one and adores the ones I have. She's excited about getting one, every day she askes "Can we go get the betta fish today?" :) I love kids when they're excited for something.

#8 ·
I would measure it and use an online calculator for gallon size. That's probably the easiest way.

That is the cutest tank ever for a 9 year old girl!

Have fun creating your minion ;)

#10 ·
aww thats so cute! :3
i love how your educating the little girl to become a good betta keeper, im sure she'll be great. :)

#11 ·
Cute. :D Great job in educating her!
I wish I could do that to someone... but there are no little kids on my street, and my brother is older than me and would never, ever want to listen to what I say. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.