Betta Fish Forum banner

I swear he gave me the death glare....

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Sheldon31 
#1 ·
Tank cleaning day! What fun and joy as you keep your roomates happy with fresh water and clean furniture.

Well today I went to clean our first boy Pickle's tank. And lo and behold there was the biggest bubblenest I have seen him do. Under on his leaf hammock, he was resting and as I approached with the bucket, siphon and net...I swear he gave the the "Touch this you die!" glare.

In some ways I think bettas are like cats in that at times there is no reasoning with them. Unlike Dazzler who seems to enjoy water changes and literally jumps into the net, Pickle will do evasive manuvers that would make an Apache helicopter pilot green with envy. Needless to say, Pickle was not coming out of his tank.

So, I was extremely careful in my siphoning and the bubble nest...mostly...clung to the wall as the water receeded. I drained as much water as I could, cleaned what I could with a fish skittering about in the few inches of water left. Then I carefully replaced the water by pouring it in the opposite side against that wall and as the levels came up..the nest....mostly...rose back to the top in the same spot. He is now underneath his nest tending to it and making repairs.

I hope he is happy because I think if I had ticked him off I wouldn't have woken up the next morning.

See less See more
#2 ·
My males give me that face... I have a male in a jar who loves to cover the surface in bubbles and every time I poke a air hole in the top I swear he goes to bite me :p

#3 ·
Lol it's the same way with my Zephyr. He was my first fish and he was the only one for about two months or so, and he was so used to having all of my attention. He sat right above my laptop on my desk (which has a 2-tier bookshelf attatched) and I always talked to him and played with him (he LOVES chasing pens around the outside of the tank. FIngers too) I have since acquired.... Quite a few fish, and Zeph gets very upset with me if I don't go over and say hi to him first in the mornings. What a spoiled boy. :p

#5 ·
hehehehe that's adorable.

demi sometimes gives me those looks.. when i'm not feeding her or letting her be near the boys.
she got moved to the desk, haha.

#6 ·
I always felt bad about destroying my males' bubble nest but none of them seemed to mind! They just took it as an excuse to start building a bigger and better one.
Once one of them covered almost half the tank surface in bubbles. I felt so bad about destroying it but he was just like "Whatever" lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.