Betta Fish Forum banner

Anything that can live with a betta in a 2.5 gal?

4K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  LittleBettas 
#1 ·
I just bought my boy a 2.5 gal tank (he's not in it yet), and I was wondering if that tank size is large enough for tankmates. If so, what would be a good, easy-to-care-for pal? I think that a snail would be nice, but I don't know much about betta-compatible fish.
Also, I would like to add a live plant, preferably one that is also easy to care for and doesn't grow too fast.
Any suggestions?

#5 ·
A nerite snail would work great. They have smaller bioloads than apple snails, and they don't have the little antennae things that a feisty betta could nip at/off. Plus, they come in some really cool shapes and colors, like horned, zebra, tire-track, and olive. :-D

Anubias nana stays really small, and you don't need anything remotely special to make it flourish. Perfect plant for anyone without a green thumb. They also have good leaves for the betta to rest on.

#9 ·
I went to the store to buy some Anubias nana, but the person there said that they need filtration and fertilizer. I know that most pet store employees don't know squat, so I just grabbed a moss ball and left.
Could I put Anubais nana in a 2.5 gal though? I was sure that I could...

#10 ·
I have many Anubias varieties, including the nana, and they definitely do not need ferts or special lighting to thrive. I attached mine to a tiny piece of driftwood and decor with a rubber band and by the time the rubberband split and fell off, the each of the plants were attached. I literally do nothing for these plants, and they are propagating beautifully. :-D I have the Anubias nana in my 2.5, and it works really well in that size tank. The marimo ball is also a good fit.

Edit: Though all of my tanks do have a filter, I don't think not having one would have an impact on either plant. The plant'll feed off the nitrates.

#11 ·
What about Ghost shrimp?
they have almost no bioload and are really cute :)

#12 ·
#13 ·
Honestly not certain what the difference is between those two. I would go with the traditional Anubias nana.... mostly because it's cheaper. :)

#16 ·
If you get ghost shrimp, get only one for that tank size, maybe 2 if there's lot's of hiding places for them.. I bought four yesterday, since I figured they're fragile and wouldn't all survive a long car ride, but they all did, and over night there's only two left alive in the tank o-o I know Gilbert didn't eat them because I think they creep him out, he kinda avoids them as best as he can, but they will kill each other! So yes, one ghost shrimp would be okay :p

#18 ·
They are really fun to watch actually :p they climb up the tank walls and they actually work really hard finding food, plus they have basically no bioload. Just make sure you ask for a larger one if you get one, since your fish would be less likely to try and eat it :p

#19 ·
Alright, if I am able to muster up my courage, I will get a little shrimpie for Jalen. And I'll make sure it's too big for him to pick on. :)

#23 ·
It really depends on the betta.... but ghost shrimp are like 33 cents, and if you get them... they tend to grow on you ;)
def. fun to watch and they clean up after the betta they are tanked with -warning, these boogers LOVE to jump!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.