Betta Fish Forum banner

The Good, the Bad, the Downright Ugly!

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Kytkattin 
#1 ·
So, first the good news. My fish survived the weekend away! They still look amazing. Seemed grumpy about being woken up at 12 when I was frantically tapping on the glass to see if they were alive, but otherwise they seem absolutely perfect! Kamehameha is getting more yellow on his head! Oh happy days!

I am not sure how I should separate the bad and the ugly since they seem to be about the same for me.
My roommates got some goldfish before I left for the weekend. The 2 of them are in a glass bowl, probably about 1/2 gallon. I honestly am amazed they are still alive. I see no hope for them because we are only allowed to have max 10 gallon tanks, and even then, they wouldn't spend the money.

What I really dreaded apparently happened sometime over the weekend. They got a betta. He is in probably 1/4 gallon. He looks like a huge (normal) betta too (my boys seem so small!). Obviously no heater, cheap pellets, and a bowl that pretty much seems the same size as the one he probably came in. The no heater thing could be fine, but I am right next to the freaking ocean. It gets down to 50 at night and he is right next to a window that is always left open. It is so sad I have to literally sit by and watch him slowly die. I am not particularly friendly with my roommates. When I went up to him tonight he flared at me, so he is in good enough health for now.
I wish there was a way to tell them about proper care, but I tend to come across as a know it all or bossy. I don't want to be on bad terms with them since I do have to live with them. I feel stuck. :cry:

See less See more
#2 ·
buy a 2.5 gallon as a "surprise" present for one of them. o3o ORR while they're away take him out and give him to someone who will take care of him, and tell them he died and was stinking or something.

poor baby. :C
but it's good to hear about your betta. :)

#3 ·
buy a 2.5 gallon as a "surprise" present for one of them.
I think that is a pretty good idea. Then you wouldn't come across as being pushy. Or at least most people wouldn't think you were. For the food you could always dump what is in that container and replace it with the good stuff so they don't know about it. Poor fishies. I hope you can do something to help them.

#5 ·
While that is a great idea for the tank, I am not sure how I could get them to use a heater. As mentioned before, it is dreadfully cold here for a tropical fish.

I figure I might ask if they want one of my old set ups (2 gallons glass drum bowl). It has a heater in it already. It is just a matter of getting them to use it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.