Betta Fish Forum banner

Impulse Buy = New Fish + Tank!

997 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Laki 
#1 ·
Well... that trip to the store didn't go as expected. We stopped by Petco to see if they had gotten any new platies in. A week ago, we had gone in for the same thing and although I didn't see a platy that I wanted to add to the tank, I did browse the betta section for a bit. There was this strinking blue marble halfmoon guy that I just fell in love with. I had just gotten a 10 gallon a bit before, so I wasn't looking to get another betta. I REALLY wanted him, but I didn't get him.

So, today, when I went in, I wasn't expecting him to still be there. He was too amazing, after all. Well - he was still there! I still hadn't found any platies but I talked myself into getting him. So after buying him and running over to walmart to buy yet another tank and a couple more platies, I am now the proud owner of 2 10 gallon tanks. Tank 1 houses 1 male betta and 3 male platies and tank 2 houses 1 male betta and 2 female platies.

Both tanks:

Tank 1 (home to Kurt, Puck, Finn, and Artie):

Tank 2 (home to Blaine, Mercedes, and Santana):

My new fish . . .

Santana:

Mercedes:

Artie (he has a partially bitten tail):

And finally, for the real reason they're all here:

The amazing Blaine:

See less See more
#3 ·
I absolutely love The Amazing Blaine!! He's super neat. I had platys living with my bettas, and they got there tails nipped real bad, and a couple died. How do you curb the aggression? Is it the tail platys have they don't like? Or are my boys just aggressive?

#6 ·
I had platys living with my bettas, and they got there tails nipped real bad, and a couple died. How do you curb the aggression? Is it the tail platys have they don't like? Or are my boys just aggressive?
I think it helps to get a tank that's new to both the platies and the betta. I set up the tank, added the platies, and then added the betta. Kurt (the first betta) was quite aggressive with the other fish at first. He flared and chased them and tried to nip their tails. It took a couple hours of watching him to finally calm down. By that time, I felt like it was safe enough to leave them alone together overnight - and I was right! A couple of days later, they were swimming and eating right next to each other.

With Blaine (my newest betta) it went very differently. I did the introductions the exact same way as before. Blaine didn't even look at the other fish twice. He's very mellow.

#7 ·
I guess that would make sense, allow the platys first claim to the tank in question. By the way, do you add Aquarium salt to your tank for the platys? I know it helps them alot, and it shouldn't hurt your betta. I never did, and mine seemed fine anyways, just curious what you know about this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.