Betta Fish Forum banner

having a betta=being girly?

6K views 35 replies 27 participants last post by  titusthebetta 
#1 ·
Im just curious how many people here are guys? My college "friends" always comment on me having a betta fish as being girly. What's so wrong with a strong man wanting to take care of a little fish? I love animals in general, and my college dorm only allows me to have fish but my betta is keeping me happy so.........ya :D

#30 ·
I think that, in general, girls go for smaller pets that they have to nurture and protect, and men prefer pets that can pretty much handle themselves. I'm a little surprised when I hear of a guy with fish, especially really flamboyant fish like bettas, but there's nothing girly about it.

#31 ·
so what i love animals too but my roomies love my fish lol... c'mon its a fighter put a feeder fish in and show them how manly it can be(plz dont do this 4 real the feeder can have parasites this is just a saying) mke him flare for them... betta are awsome no matter what people say... Im a collge guy as well ...

#32 ·
Ha, I love this thread. My honey was in the Special Ops for 6 years, is a shooting instructor for SWAT and now does counter-intel and counter terrorism work for the government...SUPER MANLY. I always give him a hard time that he loves to cook, clean, decorate and snuggle up to a good chick flick (unfortunately, taking in fish is not one of his past times...he was almost perfect ;). But he tells me it is important to "balance the warrior"
So to all of you hunky dudes on this forum, I think that is what the fish keeping is for you... balancing of the warrior;-) Nice work!

#34 ·
My boyfriend loves staring at the girls... In my sorority tank XD They're his fav! He goes and staaaaares like he's hypnotised but he's scared that if he admits he likes them, my betta collecting might get worse! Lol!

#36 ·
Who knows? I'm a girl and a college student, and my friends make fun of me for wanting a fish. They think that they're useless pets, even though I'm still in the process of convincing them otherwise. Honestly, I don't know any guys on campus that keep fish, but the girl-to-guy ration is like 4:1 at this school. I see nothing wrong with a guy wanting to take care of a fish, especially a betta. They've got such funny personalities (my one friend has to have the world's friendliest betta--he gets so excited when people enter the room).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.