Betta Fish Forum banner

Random question

3K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  BettaMiah 
#1 ·
Please excuse my stupid question. But do you think that if you ever got a big enough tank that male bettas could live together peacefully?

I'm not going to attempt this but I was just curious. :)

#2 ·
yes .. this is possible .. one of my LFS that i go to usually keep 3-4 male bettas in what looks like a 120 - 150g tank .. it's lightly planted and they have maybe 100's of micro fish in there that i can't identify =)

#6 ·
We have a member on this forum who does keep many males and females together. Take a look at OldFishLady's albums. She has managed to keep some spawns together, though not without a lot of hard work. It is not something for the beginning fish keeper to even think about, but for those who have gone down the path of breeding and keeping many, many fish could attempt such a thing.

#7 ·
I think it's possible with the right sized tank and the right amount of skill. It is probably 1000x more complicated than keeping females together in a sorority. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes 100 gallons for 5 males to get along compared to the 10 gallons needed for 5 females (since males don't form schools). The males would probably have to be spawn mates since that factor helps with female communities. The tank would need endless hiding spots and lots of plant coverage. Even with females you get the occasional girl who is just too aggressive to be in a community setting. That snag in the plan would probably happen even more often with male betta communities.

Even if my tank size guess is a bit of overkill, you would need so much time to referee during the intro. Even with 20 gallons per fish I wouldn't be surprised if one male wanted to own all 100 gallons. I'll stick with 1 male in individual 5 gallon tanks. XD

#8 ·
The tank at one of my lfs had a tank about 60L full of sibling males and females. The set up looked ugly, bland tank, torn fins everywhere but no obviously stressed fish. Probably because they were never seperated and given time to build up their territorial behaviours, plus it was only a temporary setup, I highly doubt this would work long term though.

#9 ·
I personally think its possible ^-^ If they have their own space and have maybe been from the same strain then its reasonable! :p I think maybe one plakat male in a sorority tank of maybe 15-20 gals might also be feasible, I have wanted to try that but I dont have the guts to try.

#10 ·
lol I have a 20 gallon... I dunno if I'd stick any of my males in with the gals :p He'd never get food and they'd be jumping out of the water to escape x.x (divas...) I don't think I have the guts to try either :lol: It's hard enough having the four sisters together in a heavily planted tank... :p

Then again when I bred my male Maine, he never nipped the female. He just did the *swims up* I'M PRETTY!!! *swims away* thing :lol: Him, I could possibly have seen being with females if it were a big, long tank.

#12 ·
I won't try... Unless... I lived in a constantly warm place (like California), and had land to spare to make moat like areas :lol: and have males live peacefully within their large stretch of water :p But that's a long shot hehe

#13 ·
OMG a moat !!!! .. your giving me great ideas for the backyard =D .. now just gotta convince the other half hehe =)

i'm in cali .. it's rainy and cloudy this week .. its cold for me .. it's like 46 outside *shivers*

#15 ·
Lol well by that I mean like... I live in Canada. ANYTHING is better than here xD At least you do not get snow!! I can stand clouds and rain... snow... BLECH!!! :lol:

#17 ·
Well the part I'm talking about, doesnt lol.

In other words I'd rather be in a place that never ever gets snow and is actually warm for a change, more than 2 months of the year :lol:

#18 ·
I wouldn't attempt it, as even though the tank may hold many gallons, the surface is still limited and the risk of them often seeing each other is too great to risk, imo.
But I do believe that after multiple generations you can possibly get some siblings to live semi-peacefully together, it's still a risk in ways.
I honestly think that if every breeder worked at it, that in time, and many-many generations later, we could possibly remove some of the aggression out of them enough to be able to put a few in together in the same tank. There are some cichlids out there that can be feisty with each other, but as long as they have their own territory, can possibly live together without too much trouble. I think that it may be able to have that instinct withered down enough to allow small groups living together of both sexes. By keeping them/selling them separate and some encouraging that aggression, it is hindering that process.

#20 ·
Yep. How do you think they share rice paddies? 2 males have been succesfully kept in 90 gallons before. Its my dream to have this huge heated indoor pond and a 'sorority' of males.

#22 ·
I know right!? Feeding would be a nightmare, though. I'd probably just have to keep food there at all times like Dapnia and live foods.

#23 ·
haha probably xD even add shrimp! bettas love shrimp.. -munch munch munch- :lol: unless you get the odd guy who is buddies with shrimp...

#24 ·
*cough cough* YUUKI!

I swear, if I put him with another Betta (One who wouldn't attack) Yuuki would just prefer to cuddle with him. He is such a sweet boy.

#25 ·
..... Weird :lol: then again breeding Maine he was the "-swims up- I'M PRETTY!!! -swims away- ehehehe" betta xD then again his approach got her to follow him faster :) such a darn sweet heart :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.