Betta Fish Forum banner

Oldfishlady.......

3K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Sakura8 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,
A little about me.....

I have been in the fish keeping hobby for around 40 years more or less-working with the Betta splendens species for roughly 12 or so years now and Natural planted tanks about 7 years or so. I have spawned/bred, kept many different species of tropical fish and inverts over the years.

Having a strong science and medical background I enjoy reading and researching science based information and conducting experiments

Being a naturalist I try to find more natural methods to keep and treat the tropical fish in my care and for others, while I am not critical of others that use stronger products-I have found over the years that they are often not needed and can sometimes cause more harm than good in some cases.

I try to encourage more people to get involved in this wonderful hobby-new keepers are the future of the hobby after all..... and to educate on proper care-with the understanding that there is more than one way to properly keep this species successfully-its finding what works for you, your Betta and what you have on hand......

I currently keep 20 soil based natural planted tanks (NPT) that range from 75gal-to-1gal.......
Livestock-Bettas, Neons, Dianos, guppies, longfin albino plecos, RCS (Red cherry shrimp) and the yellow color morph, marble crayfish and lots of common snails-like pond, ranshorn and trumpet (MTS)..everything has a job of sorts...lol.....

I live on a working cattle ranch out in the woods and have lots and lots of animals-besides all the cattle-I have 29 cats, 4 dogs, a horse, chickens...
I did have an orphaned opossum that I hand raised last summer but has since been released back into the wild (see pic and story in my album).
I have raised other orphaned and injured wild animals over the years.....as well as many injured and stray domesticated animals-more cats than anything else that show up needing help and none are turned away...just had two little pigs show up last night....lol....

I have a great deal of passion for animals, our earth and for people...understanding and appreciating how unique and different each and every person for who they are.............and I enjoy helping and encouraging others with their adventure in the hobby of fish keeping.....

And if you haven't already noticed....I ramble.....my post do tend to be long.......laffs.....

See less See more
#6 ·
Hi OFL, thank you for sharing..

You sound and live just as I imagined you did.. and yes, now that I think about it, it does sound stalker-ish lol. You just have this aura/quality about you and the way you are that has always piqued my interest. I too have the passion for animals and of the earth, but for some people I am still working on lol.

I think it's great you do all that you do, it sounds like a very fulfilling life. It's been nice reading your posts and learning from them all this time, and now I'm glad to get to know a little about you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.