Betta Fish Forum banner

Ratties

10K views 185 replies 17 participants last post by  Sena Hansler 
#1 ·
These are my precious ratties...my pride and joy. I have been owned by rats for about 11 or so years now and can safely say they will always be in my life. I currently have 8 of them.

Caoimhe

Kyna

Storm (he's a little bigger then this now...this was one of his younger pictures)

Angus & Storm

Buddy & Jolly

Thor & Captain

Thor is my 'heart rat' and is a 'mommy's boy'. He always wants to be with me, is very gentle, is kissy/licky & cuddly. He also seems VERY in tune to my emotions. Unfortunately he is about 2 yrs old now and showing his age. I will be devastated when he goes. I love ALL my rats, but some just hold onto your heart more then others.

See less See more
#3 ·
Hehe,want him? He's been bad the last couple days! :shock:
Kidding,I would never give up my "bad" boy.

Caoimhe - pronounced KEEVA.
:-D

Thanks.

#7 ·
Thank you!

Thanks. Yes,I remember hearing Australia could not get dumbos,as well as a few other variety. But I don't know the reason?

But all ratties are great! I am like you,I will never be without rats.

#8 ·
It's because it technically is a genetic mutation. They don't want to risk introducing any associated health problems into the rat population here.

Aren't they the best pets ever? I bought them a box of tissues yesterday, and Richelieu spent the whole afternoon pulling the tissues out, covering the other boys and jumping on them. =) So cute. <3

#11 ·
Oh,I get it...I think. For example hairless ratties are more prone to illnesses and sicknesses then furries.

Oh they are! Super cute,playful,fun and affectionate. Best little guys ever.
Mine loooove tissues and tissue boxes. I often give them cereal and cookie boxes too,they love em'.

#10 ·
And Alberta is scared these little critters are going to start plagues because people want them as captivity bred pets. tsk tsk. :lol: They are cute :3 I like the pic with your lil' Storm peeking out!!

#12 ·
Yes,Alberta is the only Canadian province that claims they are 'rat free'.
Just one reason I never wanna go there...:-D...I don't wanna go where pet rats are not welcome.

#13 ·
:lol: We had one actual wild rat stowaway.... let's just put it, between winter and traffic rats in the wild don't last long here anyways. But yeah... my friend was confused because we have "Soft Fur Rats" and one American Rat thing, but we aren't supposed to have rats... "oh, THOSE are not classified as rats"... then why are they called rats? -.-

#14 ·
It's such a shame you aren't allowed them as pets, Sena! I couldn't live in Alberta, forget swapping locations. :p We aren't allowed ADFs here for the same reason, though - authorities are worried people are going to release them into the wild. With good reason, I suppose, since year before last fishermen found an albino oscar in a local lake. I have no idea how the poor thing survived winter. It's not exactly Norway here, but we still hit below freezing at night.

#15 ·
albino oscar?! wow. We had one in the store here - HUGE fish. scared my dog out of her wits though x.x :lol: And I didn't think ADFs could survive the wild...? huh. weird. o.o Well, here you can see king snakes, corn snakes, milk snakes, etc all slithering around here and there during spring and summer. Why? because people are ignorant and release them "cuz they can't care for them" or "they don't want them no more". I almost caught the king snake one :lol: poor things surely died in the winter :(

#16 ·
I love seeing someone who knows what a "heart rat" is! I currently have 5 boys, Bobby (top ear siamese), Loki (capped grey dumbo), Ash (American blue hooded top ear with odd eyes), Stitch (black hooded top ear) and Jimmy (beige self top ear). I've owned rats since 2003, and always had them. Sadly, these will be the last of my boys as I really don't have much space left for my massive Ferret Nation cage lol

You have some lovely babies, so many dumbos! I love Caoimhe. You don't happen to be on The Rat Shack?

#20 · (Edited)
Dude, that cage isn't much bigger than mine LOL Mines not as deep but just as tall/wide. :p I have the full double story Ferret Nation. Pain in the butt honestly. Built amazingly but I hate the shallow pans and I'm not about to shell out another $100 for aftermarket ones.

Tradesies?

And it's exactly like the Betta bug, but worst. There are many more rats needing homes than Bettas.

remember, pairs+ only! No singletons :p

#18 ·
I love rats :)
My younger sister has always had one or two growing up, once she gets her apartment, she's planning to start getting back into them...
I have actually never had my OWN rat, but I have fostered rats (and rabbits, mice, hamsters and ferrets... etc) for local shelters
and I have to say... they are ADORABLE....
so stop trying to tempt me into getting my own!
:p

#22 · (Edited)
Noooooo!!!!!
Lmao... I went with my sister about a week ago to look at some baby rats from a local breeder (local to her, lol)... OMG, she fell in love with a little black one... I wanted them ALL.... I have a feeling within the next few months I will end up with two babies.... or more..... <3

And agreed, there are a lot more ratties needing homes then bettas.... rats and ferrets don't come through the shelters very often (its nice when they do though!)... one of the few animals I would ever want to get from a breeder (my sister has always gotten adult rescues.. I think it high time I experianced some baby rat love!)

#21 ·
:lol: very true!!

Bombalurina, very time I see your avatar I go "nyawwww" :lol: because they are cute. not the evil red eyed movie version lol!!

#27 ·
:lol: yeah it's usually the tail that gets them! why? o.o It's just a tail. -I don't see the reasoning behind disliking the tail nor the cute beady eyes- x.x

And I have noticed that ferrets here, seem to take SO long to find a home, from the store. Even after being discounted. Plus, they should NEVER be separating a pair, whether brother/sister, or actual mating pair because they did that when I worked there...someone got the female, and left her brother behind. The attitude that flies at you and scars (your hands) from a lone ferret is just...yikes!! :lol: I have the scar to prove it. Through wool gloves.

#28 ·
Lol, I used to have a problem with the tails... but its hard not to be won over by them, lol

I had a pair of ferrets I adopted (why I started fostering them for local shelters), they had been dumped in a back yard with a doberman and a cocker spaniel after the owner moved... AC came to pick up the dogs and found the boogers... so I adopted them... about 2 years later the male passed from cancer and the female passed away within a week from her "brother" passing away (she had a clean bill of health)... I hate it that petstores sell them individually, they really do get close and for them, it is heartbreaking to loose a friend

#29 ·
Exactly. The pair in the store, were a duo of misfits :lol: I don't like ferrets because I had bad experiences with them... and these two were young, and yeah, nippy. So I wore one wool glove as a "just in case they turn and bite me because they try" and used the other hand to support their bumb. This was when I had to clean their kennel/cage/thing. The female was fine, the male was squirmy... they sold HER, and he became the terror I actually REFUSED to handle after he latched on and gave me a lovely scar :mad: I don't blame him though. I'd be upset too..to be isolated...

I'm actually adopting 2 guineas, because the owner has allergies and must get rid of them. Since they come with a hutch and cage, plus a bunch o' other stuff, mind as well :) better than them going to the shelter or wherever....

#30 ·
They are really social.... I have always described owning ferrets as owning a kitten or puppy... for life, lol, they need the constant company of another animal.... ferret being prefered.... I know my two, Ray and Queen, would team up, Queen, being the better climber, would climb up on my dresser (or bookcase) and knock down items and Ray would hide them.... the first time I became aware of it was when they tped my WHOLE room with paper towels (I used them to clean their bedroom... lol and forgot them once... and thats al it took)... it was a six pack and every one of the rolls was spread across my room, over my bed, under it, around my couch, my fish tank..... it was a HUGE mess... and I opened the door and Ray was staring at me sitting on the floor all innocent....
Lol, I miss the boogers

Congrats on adopting the guineas, def. better than going to a shelter... or ending up as snake food :/

#31 ·
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: WOW that is awesome what they did...er...I mean...bad ferrets :3

Yeah I do have a guinea, who I found is allergic to Pine bedding (what I was given with her) so she has another type... not quite carefresh, but good enough. So, if they get along I'll allow them to be together...

from what I know, here, guineas rarely make it to shelters. it's usually a snake owner that gets them :shock: Ferrets for most people are "gross", and rats are "repelling" :lol: looks like the rodent section has got some problems lol!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.